PDA

View Full Version : March food storage additions...

DMGNUT
03-04-2012, 01:41 AM
I was able to add a few items to a friend's Walton Feed order (which motivated me to do even more).
Will be getting;
20 each #10 cans of powdered shortening
10 each #10 cans of powdered tomatoes
10 each #10 cans of powdered butter
3 more cook books (like I don't have enough already)
2 more super pails of pinto beans
2 more super pails of rice
5 each #10 cans of sausage bits

Just out of curiosity, how is everyone else doing on their food storage?
No need to be specific, but are you where you want to be... where the church suggests you should be?

Earthling
03-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I feel like I have plenty and storage room is now a problem. I am not buying anything unless it is something I don't already have, is new, etc. For example they came out with FD sweet potatoes so I got a case of that. I also need to use & rotate my 3 months supply which is probably more like a 6 month supply since I have had some kids move away. That also leaves me with foods like Honey Nut Cheerios & Lucky Charms that they ate but which DH & I do not as we go more for Great Grains & stuff like that.

What I am trying to say is long term food is in great shape and I am trying to use up some of my short term storage.

GAMom
03-04-2012, 10:12 AM
When my cold cereals get close to the expiration date & need to be used or I have those sugar ones that I don't eat, I give them to the missionaries along with a gallon or two of milk. They think they are in heaven. It's a great way to rotate those things.

mirkwood
03-05-2012, 02:38 AM
but are you where you want to be... where the church suggests you should be?

Yes.

I mostly work on non food stuff these days.

Noahs ARK
03-05-2012, 04:54 PM
No need to be specific, but are you where you want to be... where the church suggests you should be?

Yes. I'm concentrating on water & firewood.

Harm
03-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Well I've got my bulk stuff, we've been back adding the 3-6 months of less hardcore storage. Lots of chili beans for me! :d0 (3):

That and we have a brother in our Elders Quorum that I convinced to teach a lesson on home canning for meats. With beef expected to double by summer felt this was important.

prairiemom
03-05-2012, 08:58 PM
That and we have a brother in our Elders Quorum that I convinced to teach a lesson on home canning for meats. With beef expected to double by summer felt this was important.

That's great. I really like to hear the men taking leadership on FS. It's so discouraging to see it so often made a RS function, another "hobby" for the women.

Harm
03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm the Elders Quorum President in our ward (be afraid :d0 (22):) and so for our Presidency message this last Sunday I used the Family Proclamation to the world with our brethren (we have about 20 active Elders who don't have other callings and 10 drifters and another 10 who rotate based on work schedule - so its a good large group) and went over the line about the fathers responsibilities.

I used several quotes from Brigham Young on the importance of preparedness. We discussed the mindset of not going overboard for it but what can we do without overburdening our families.

A brother said he enjoyed canning meat and we all went :sosp::confused (2):

PLEASE SHOW US!?!? So we're planning it for after Father & Sons. We're going to do an EQ dinner with canning the leftovers and dutch oven biscuits and desert.

The best part is when I asked who would be interested in making these type of skills classes a regular part of EQ and EVERY SINGLE MAN IN THAT ROOM raised their hand poste haste!

It made me happy. Building from the ground up. The better part is the volume of people who stated they have at least SOME food storage. So its not quite the ground up.

Best part is our Stake does a Garden and every family can get a 10x10 plot if they so choose. No cost but the seeds. A great way to ease the grocery bill and with canning as a new option - we can even use it as a great way to supplement food storage.

We're also doing a ward food storage dinner Saturday (unfortunately I'm going to miss it) and compiling recipes.

arbilad
03-06-2012, 12:40 PM
You have a great Elders Quorum.
I like to pressure can meat as well. It is a great way to preserve it, and you can have all kinds of meat on hand, such as taco meat, fajita meat, etc.

waif69
03-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Canning meat seems creepy to me. I've never seen it before.

Earthling
03-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I've canned chicken and love having it ready to go. I need recipes and knowledge to do other meats.