PDA

View Full Version : Bacon Heaven–Detailed Bacon Canning Tips and Tricks

Julie
03-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Satisfy your family’s craving for bacon by making your own Home-canned bacon! It’s the best!

baconFirst of all, how you can your bacon is determined by what you want it ultimately to look like when you serve it. If you just want bacon in order to flavor beans, quiches, scrambled eggs, or something in which you don’t need full-crispy strips, then all you have to do is can bacon the way you do any other meat. Stuff it in the jar raw up to the screw rings, wipe off the rim, place a clean flat lid on top, then the jar ring on top, and then process it for 75 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure for pint jars (which are my preferred sizes for such recipes) and 90 minutes for quart jars at the same pressure—though high elevation may require 15 pounds of pressure. When in doubt, read your manufacturer’s directions. This method will cook your bacon thoroughly and will enable it to easily last on your cool, dark shelves for 10 years. Yes, I said 10 years. That grin on your face is perfectly permissible. When you’re ready to dig in to this bacon, just pour all of the contents into your beans, or dump the contents into a frying pan and sizzle them up on a medium-high heat. Drain the fat and save it in a covered glass jar for future cooking oil needs. (That’s the good kind of fat for the body—much better than any hydrogenated fats.)
http://preparednesspro.com/bacon-heaven-detailed-bacon-canning-tips-and-tricks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PreparednessProBlog+%28Prepar edness+Pro+Blog%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

DMGNUT
03-24-2012, 04:12 PM
For a moment there, while reading your post, I thought the Holy Spirit was speaking to me. :a0 (13):

CurtisG
03-24-2012, 09:01 PM
....i thought i found another Dead Sea Scroll:hurray:
When our economic system falls, bacon bits will be the new currency!!!!!

Baconator
03-25-2012, 06:07 AM
I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

waif69
03-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Bacon fat is good for the body and I can can bacon to last for 10 years. That is what I got out of that. However, I don't see a container of bacon lasting much longer than a month in my household.

Julie
03-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Alisons Pantry sells bacon by the bulk
http://www.alisonspantry.com/pages/products/?id=1179

Gennut
03-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Or get it from Zaycon Foods when their bacon offering comes around. Delicious bacon, comes from Ohio and the stuff I bought was packaged just the week prior.

Earthling
04-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Or get it from Zaycon Foods when their bacon offering comes around. Delicious bacon, comes from Ohio and the stuff I bought was packaged just the week prior.

Would you give us a heads up since you are tracking it? I would really appreciate it!!

CurtisG
04-02-2012, 11:57 AM
At Christmas we bought the kids CMMG tactical bacon...wasnt cheap....I think we paid for the label.