View Full Version : Make Your Home a General Store

Earthling
04-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Meridian Magazine
April 11, 2012
Make Your Home a General Store
By Carolyn Nicolaysen

Down through the ages, prophets have called us to action – to prepare ourselves and our families both spiritually and temporally for tests and opposition. While Noah called the world to repent, he and his family followed God’s command to build an Ark. And Joseph with his coat of many colors was first betrayed by his brothers and sold into slavery, then became a ruler of Egypt - eventually ruling over his brothers, and saving their families temporally through his provident leadership. We learn from the Book of Mormon: "But behold, this was an advantage to the Nephites; for it was impossible for the robbers to lay siege sufficiently long to have any effect upon the Nephites, because of their much provisions which they had laid up in store." (3 Nephi 4:1)

Few in the world are willing to follow the counsel of modern prophets that real peace can be found through preparing ourselves spiritually to rely on God, and working temporally to be self-reliant. As President Ezra Taft Benson said, the world has it backward – advocating that man should be independent of God, while making a claim on government for temporal support.

For the past year I have encouraged readers to look at their home inventory of food and supplies as a kind of “General Store.” Why a General Store? Just generations ago, a General Store was the source of all the basic goods required to care for and sustain a family. A General Store stocked food, clothing, fabric, gardening tools, seeds, medications, shoes - everything you needed. There was a post office tucked in one corner and often a bank in another.

You too can create a General Store in your home and become ready for whatever may come. What can you do to get started?

1. Think of this project as self-reliance, not just emergency preparedness or food storage. It is only through being self-reliant that we are truly prepared to care for our families, and sometimes others as well.

2. Self-Reliance is more than food storage. Think back to our General Store. It is food, camping supplies in case of a disaster which drives us from our home, car kits in case we become stranded while traveling, 72 hour kits in case we need to flee quickly, stamps, cash, first aid, and medical supplies. If you are currently serving in Scouting, you may want to begin with items you can use while on scout outings, such as a camp stove. Camp stoves are a must have during any power outage, and part of a great General Store.

3. It doesn't matter where or how you begin, just begin. The Lord will bless your efforts if you will just show your commitment by taking a first step, then a second. Purchase just two or three extra cans of food each week. Ask for camping supplies or a Dutch oven for your birthday or anniversary.

4. You are the best judge of what to stock. No one knows better than you how your family eats, what your job situation is, or what natural disasters may occur in your area. If your family loves peaches and doesn't like apricots, don't store apricots. I have seen charts that tell you to store 5 gallons of oil per person. I wouldn't use that much oil in ten years, no less one, but you may. Make a list of the foods your family likes and start there to build a three month supply. Don't forget spices and condiments which make an ordinary meal extraordinary.

5. Once you have decided which foods you want to store, begin stocking your store with a three month supply of those foods. Think about your storage in terms of the food pyramid. Store foods from each food group: fruit and vegetables, meat (proteins), dairy, and grains. If you don't know how to cook with wheat don't store wheat, at least not until you learn how to use it, but store other grains. The Church has never told us what we need to store, they have only made suggestions based on foods that are inexpensive, nutritious, and have a long shelf life. You must consider for yourself such issues as food allergies, food preferences and your ability to prepare items – thus, which foods to store. A dairy farmer would probably not store much powdered milk. You can have an excellent food store plan without a bean in sight.

6. Complete a three month supply of the foods you eat before beginning on your long term storage. Having three months of foodstuffs stored allows you time to plant and harvest fruits and veggies to supplement your long term storage. Remember the seeds I mentioned that you could always purchase at a General Store? Three months also allows you time to begin incorporating more of your long term storage items into your everyday diet.

7. Avoid debt. You should not go into debt for food storage or other items needed for your General Store. There are many ways to reduce spending and shop wisely to get everything you may need. Once self-reliance becomes a priority, the possibilities will begin to be obvious.

8. It is important to have some cash on hand. During a true emergency, banks may close and credit cards may become useless without the electricity to run card processing equipment. Again, start small and avoid the temptation to spend that pocket change. Every time you skip a meal out and eat at home instead, place the money you would have spent in a special jar and don't touch it!

9. Educate yourself. There are many great books, forums, websites and blogs which can help. There are experts in your own ward and stake - ask them for help.

10. Be prayerful. Heavenly Father has always helped those who have made the sacrifice and commitment to live his counsel. He will help you too.

11. Never give up. If you get discouraged, ask for help. If money runs low, adjust your purchasing and/or re-examine your spending habits.

One Christmas we had a group of Young Single Adults in our home for an evening of gift wrapping. The YSA branch provides Christmas gifts for a few families in need every year, and this year we had seven families. We gathered in our home to wrap the gifts. As we proceeded, we realized some children in one family received great gifts while others might feel overlooked. As we began to make a list of things we would have to purchase, I retrieved a few boxes of new gifts stored in my attic. These were items I purchased at 60-90% off and stored for just such an occasion. By the time we finished, we had fabulous gifts for all and were left with just two gift cards to purchase to fill in the gaps. As we cleaned up the wrapping paper, one of the young men looked at me and said, "This is what preparedness really means, isn't it?"

Those gifts I had stored had nothing to do with a natural disaster or emergency, but they were of great value in caring for the needs of others who were experiencing stress in their lives. I did not need to write a big check or do last minute shopping, my General Store met the need.

As Heavenly Father's children, those who live provident lives are among the most blessed.Ancient and modern prophets have warned that tough times will come.Surely, they will. Yet, we can live with a feeling of peace in our homes during such times if we take care to follow the steps that lead to self-reliance in temporal matters, and reliance upon God for spiritual understanding and comfort. The choices are up to us, for he trusts us to choose well.

The apostle Marion G. Romney taught: ‘It has also been my intention to encourage all Latter-day Saints to review again their personal and family preparedness and to implement immediately the principles and practices that will ensure their self-sufficiency. If we will discuss these truths in our family councils and make a plan to do all in our power to live these principles, we shall all enjoy the promise of the Lord, ‘If ye are prepared ye shall not fear.’

“More importantly, if we will live providentially and righteously, we will qualify for the greater promise: ‘And whoso is found a faithful, a just, and a wise steward shall enter into the joy of his Lord, and shall inherit eternal life.’” - Marion G. Romney, “Principles of Temporal Salvation,” Tambuli, Oct 1981.

DMGNUT
04-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Among other items of necessity, my general store offers guns and ammo. :thumbup1:

Noahs ARK
04-11-2012, 09:40 PM
My General Store is getting crowded. We may have to look for a larger building. :l0 (27):

iggy
05-17-2012, 06:04 PM
My General Store has spilled out into the hall way, dining room and in bags in front of some of the kitchen cabinets.

STILL waiting for the diy cupboards to get put together so I fill them up!

Earthling
05-17-2012, 10:03 PM
I am trying to use up some items in my General Store so things get rotated.

tracie
07-17-2012, 06:44 PM
6. Complete a three month supply of the foods you eat before beginning on your long term storage. Having three months of foodstuffs stored allows you time to plant and harvest fruits and veggies to supplement your long term storage. Remember the seeds I mentioned that you could always purchase at a General Store? Three months also allows you time to begin incorporating more of your long term storage items into your everyday diet.

The three month idea only works if the disaster happens in the spring. If problems occur in very late summer or fall, there could be serious problems. Otherwise, good article.

Mother55
07-19-2012, 10:54 AM
When I buy things for our home, I usually buy in bulk. I don't shop just weekly. For example, I bought 200 bars of bath soap that was on sale. Once that was done, I never think about buying that again. When a local store clearanced bottles of shampoo, I bought 50 bottles and tucked them away. I buy toothpaste, butter (in freezer for 4 years now and just great), lightbulbs the same way. When you shop this way, a large chunk of the monthly budget is allocated to just a few things, but eventually you have built up a reserve that lasts for years. I am using soap I bought 30 years ago. You don't need to be wealthy to store this way. The next time, what you would have spent on soap can then be spent on something different. It may take years but eventually you do have a "general store" in your home.

iggy
07-19-2012, 11:28 AM
My General Store has spilled out into the hall way, dining room and in bags in front of some of the kitchen cabinets.

Two months later and I am still waiting! The dining room is shrinking in size, the 4 inch area at the end of my kitchen counter near the door is building up with canned foods (sitting on the floor and extending up to counter height). Behind the sofa I have plastic tubs with envelope food (Rice & Pasta Sides, Mashed Potatoes, Top Ramen) in them.

I have an empty space above the hall linen closet. I have yet to get up on a ladder to see inside- If I can't climb a ladder just to look, then why would I put anything up there for storage? Unless it is the medium dog carrier that is taking precious space in my clothes closet? Any way, why would a contractor put that empty space there AND put a door on it???? I'd rather it be just an open area where I could put a statue, vase, silk plants there.

Mother55
07-19-2012, 11:39 AM
I have an empty space above the hall linen closet. Any way, why would a contractor put that empty space there AND put a door on it???? .

maybe the builder was trying to build a place to store guns and ammo :) out of reach of children and others.....maybe the previous owner stored a bunch of cash up there? I'd be curious....and check it out. Having a hidden safe room behind a back closet to hide in an emergency is good too. cut out the back wall sheetrock with a small saw, tack in something like pegboard and hang some hooks with old tennis racket or jacket to camoflauge it.

OPossumTX
07-19-2012, 12:50 PM
My General Store is getting crowded. We may have to look for a larger building. :l0 (27):
My problem exactly. I need a place to store my flammables separate from the other stuff. I'd hate for a small fire to take it ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

O'

CurtisG
07-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Among other items of necessity, my general store offers guns and ammo. :thumbup1:
Do you have fishin hooks, (coloring) books, a rebel flag on the wall?
But seriously, check out a little general store in the country and you will see all those last minute items people need but forgot to pack or are willing to pay more for right now rather than wait until they get to town.
Batteries, bug repellant, etc. I paid a horridly high price for Immodium while at Bryce.:18:

phylm
07-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Do you have fishin hooks, (coloring) books, a rebel flag on the wall?
But seriously, check out a little general store in the country and you will see all those last minute items people need but forgot to pack or are willing to pay more for right now rather than wait until they get to town.
Batteries, bug repellant, etc. I paid a horridly high price for Immodium while at Bryce.:18:

Tannin is a good dysentery cure. Doctors in Japanese prison camps in WWII saved many of our men by making a tea of the inner bark of oak trees. I expect that fresh acorns would also yield it. I have a stash of black tea in my medicine storage. Inexpensive, and lasts forever. A double dose or two is usually sufficient. (I add a little sugar or honey so I can get it down, but don't put cream in so I can enjoy it!)

Earthling
07-21-2012, 06:41 PM
which is why I now keep packed in my travel stuff that ointment you put on bug bites - anti itch cream. Those mosquito bites drive me nuts.

iggy
07-21-2012, 09:57 PM
which is why I now keep packed in my travel stuff that ointment you put on bug bites - anti itch cream. Those mosquito bites drive me nuts.
Ammonia does the same thing for a fraction of the cost. The bite does need to be pricked with a straight pin or needle, then dab on the ammonia with cotton.

phylm
07-22-2012, 07:19 PM
My poor husband has been digging up dry sod and shaking out the roots for further garden space, and has been finding his hands suddenly covered with biting tiny ants--hundreds of them--time and again. Putting rubbing alcohol (or Listerine antiseptic--my cure-all) on them usually stops the itching immediately. However, they were continuing to plague him. I had just heard about a cure for manta ray stings: plunge the affected part into hot water. I suggested that he try that, and it did the trick at once. He mentioned it to a doctor at an appointment a day later, and the doc said that the hot water removes the histamine. Cheap cure, huh?

Earthling
07-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Listerine also acts as a bug repellant. It is the only thing that works on the small no-see-um's on Antelope Island in Utah. You put the Listerine in a spray bottle and mist it on yourself. It worked great on no-see-ums! I haven't tried it with mosquitoes.

iggy
07-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Listerine also acts as a bug repellant. It is the only thing that works on the small no-see-um's on Antelope Island in Utah. You put the Listerine in a spray bottle and mist it on yourself. It worked great on no-see-ums! I haven't tried it with mosquitoes.

Other uses for original Listerine:
Hair rinse for dandruff.
Dab all over body if you have unidentified itch.
Hives - eases the itch.
Mixed at least half and half with water, spray liberally on feet to rid yourself of athletes foot.

phylm
07-23-2012, 06:45 PM

I use Listerine--or, rather, the Walmart copycat--for a disinfectant, for rashes...anything that stings or itches. We've learned another use for it: as a fungicide on fruit trees. The gal who told us about it said to use dollar store mouthwash, half-and-half with water and spray it on the affected areas. We did it on a couple of peach trees that had developed a white fungus on the trunk, and it illiminated it immedeately.

iggy
09-19-2012, 11:15 AM

UPDATE: One of the DIY cupboards got put together and now holds the #10 cans of Freeze Dried and Dehydrated foods that I purchased last November from EE! :hurray:

I told my helper (neighbor and Church member) the second cupboard could wait until Oct or Nov. I misspoke, would like it done this weekend. Guess I'll ask his wife if he has plans for this weekend. I'll feed him, wife and teen son (if son isn't off with his friends) spaghetti & garden salad for lunch as a thank you.

Also we came into a small windfall of money ~ so hubby told me to order the pull out drawers for my kitchen cupboard. Did that yesterday morning from http://www.rolloutkitchendrawers.com/index.html They should arrive tomorrow or the next day. THOSE I can install myself. It will probably take longer to EMPTY the cupboard than it will to install. I'll let ya'all know if they are worth the money. Right now the shelves I want them for are filled with canned goods. Veggies stacked three cans high, Heat & Eat soups are two cans high.

I am only 5'3" tall, and nearly 5' around! Can easily be Mrs Santa during the Holidays :l0 (40): It is nearly impossible for me to get to the cans/jars at the back of the cupboard without removing the cans/jars in the front. Need a chair to stand on to get to the items on the top shelves. Have boxed goods there in wire and plastic baskets.

mirkwood
09-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Need a chair to stand on to get to the items on the top shelves.

Perhaps a foot stool would be helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=footstool#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=folding+foot+stool&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afolding+foot+stool

iggy
09-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Perhaps a foot stool would be helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=footstool#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=folding+foot+stool&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afolding+foot+stool

I have a step stool, but the back is too low- need to hang on to it. The back of the chair is higher. I have two folding foot stools like the red one on the link- still with them I can not reach the top shelves.

This kitchen was redesigned by the original owner. She was 5'11" tall and skinny, and she wanted NO ONE in her kitchen when she cooked.

ghostcat
09-19-2012, 03:22 PM
This kitchen was redesigned by the original owner. She was 5'11" tall and skinny, and she wanted NO ONE in her kitchen when she cooked.

Yep, them skinny types, always scheming!! Ye just can't trust em!!!:l0 (58):

iggy
10-13-2012, 04:08 AM

UPDATE: One of the DIY cupboards got put together and now holds the #10 cans of Freeze Dried and Dehydrated foods that I purchased last November from EE! :hurray:

The last cupboard is up and filled! Step Son did it during his visit last week. I also ordered three spice towers, got them the other day. They are filled and sitting on my counter. Need 10 spices to fill the empty's.

Step Son and wife don't understand the concept of food storage. She says they don't have room for more than a weeks worth of food. Um, what about the unused area where the washer and dryer are? It is about 10' x 7'. They could easily put stand alone DIY cupboards there- back to back, about 6 of them.

Hubby explained to them the reason behind the food storage. Son made a quip that we are hoarders. Pop set him straight. Oh, Son and Wife are obviously not LDS.

I only tossed 8 cans of food. Use by dates were 2005 through 2009. I even have a small DIY cupboard to hold my Rubbermaid food storage containers.

Feels good to have all the food put away, and inventoried. Now to eat up the frozen meat so there will be room for me to make Hubby's favorite soups.

CurtisG
10-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Hubby explained to them the reason behind the food storage. Son made a quip that we are hoarders. Pop set him straight. Oh, Son and Wife are obviously not LDS.
My grandma isn't LDS either, but having gone through the depression she could wise them up about why having some extra on hand is a good idea.

thomasusa
10-13-2012, 01:18 PM
I have some relatives (in-laws) that are anti-Mormon, anti-preparation, and have openly said they'd come to my house when there was trouble.
But they ridicule me for the slightest preparations.
My mother-in-law regularly show up when the power goes out expecting me to hand over my lantern and radio. (I have extras of those.)

I'm ready to order a half dozen copies of "The Little Red Hen" so I can hand them a copy next time they show up.

That reminds me...
A cowboy in southern Utah once asked me if I knew the difference between "outlaws" and "in-laws".
"The outlaws is wanted."

iggy
10-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Hubby's mother was the only other member of the church. BUT long before she joined, she and her mother would can. If it was edible, they canned it! They lived off of those canned goods during the winter. Hubs remembers having just a can of carrots and pancakes for dinner until his Dad got paid so Mom could buy a few groceries before the newly planted veggies had grown enough to eat.

My Mom only canned fruits, made jam and if it grew, was edible, she pickled it. Don't know if Crab Apples are edible with OUT pickling them or not. But those were Grandma's favorite pickle. Mine was Watermelon rind!

Any way, Hubs next youngest brother lives with wife, dog and cat in Missouri. When we went to visit them in 2007- all they had in the house in the way of food was 6 jars of Heinz Gravy and 4 boxes of store brand toaster pastries. In the fridge was a loaf of bread, small jar of mayo, 5 pounds of potatoes, 3 onions, one package of bologna and a small container of mustard.

Sis-In-Law went to the store every afternoon to purchase lunch and dinner for the day. Actually she went to restaurants and got To Go meals. Not from drive throughs, but like Olive Garden, etc. She doesn't know how to cook!

Hubs and I talked with Bro about the wisdom of having food in the cupboard. You know, he didn't have a clue there was no food in the house. I actually clipped him upside the head for that. What a Dunce! What an eeejit!!

Sis-In-Law wasn't about to change her way.

Just recently they had a freeze- snow, lots of it. Couldn't go anywhere for 2 weeks. Well, at that time all they had was 2 jars of gravy mix and one box of toaster pastries, and nothing in the fridge.

They got pretty darn hungry after that box of pastries was consumed for the first breakfast.

Bro dressed up in layers of warm clothing, went to the neighbors and asked if he could borrow their kid's sleigh, and walked 3 miles to the grocery store. The neighbor sent his 15 yo son with Bro with an extra sleigh.

Bro called me on the cell phone from the store (he is in Missouri and I am in Oregon) to ask me what should he buy? For crying out loud- you buy what you eat! Oh, Yeah - you eat take out from restaurants. Ok, buy what you can cook. Toss the 20 trays of ice cubes in your freezer out, and buy Voilia, Stouffers, Marie Callender's. Buy 4 pounds of 90% hamburger, ask the butcher to portion it out in 1 pound amounts and go get 4 boxes of hamburger helper.

Read the box directions, if you need butter and milk - be sure to buy it.

I doubt if they will ever have a decent food storage, buy since then he emails me with a list of what he bought at the store. He is learning how to cook. Thank heavens. He is also purchasing the dog food in 20 pound bags instead of the 7 pound boxes. Got himself a plastic container on wheels with a good secure lid from the PetCo to hold that big bag.

As for Step Son- think that they will have to be snowed in for a week or longer, before the concept of having food storage will sink in and/or become a reality. When they have to WALK to the store in the snow, and drag back the basic groceries, perhaps then the 10' X 7' EMPTY, UNUSED space in the basement will soon fill up with food.

Daughter-In-Law knows how to cook - she shops weekly. BUT she admitted she doesn't have a clue how to Shop The Ads. Unfortunately I just didn't have the energy to sit her at my computer and have her watch as I went through our stores on-line sale ads and do up a shopping list. She just doesn't look for the sales at the store either. And she has never bought the store brands. In talking with her, she is doing what her mother did.

I would LOVE to have the money she spends on groceries - I would be able to save up and purchase the generator, full size freezer, and NEW shed in no time!

LEVE
10-13-2012, 06:18 PM
After spending almost 2 years as a Welfare Missionary in a local Bishops Storehouse, I've found that the commodities there are a good list to use in obtaining food storage. It doesn't take much... just planning, prayer and follow up work.

arbilad
10-13-2012, 10:28 PM
In fact the very basic commodities there are the very basis long term for food storage. I haven't personally met anyone, for instance, who has a year supply of MREs for his whole family.