PDA

View Full Version : Chicken & Pork Price Increases Coming

Earthling
05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
The Ogden, UT newspaper reported that prices of chicken and pork are going up next.

http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=U1NFLzIwMDgvMDUvMDYjQXIwMTQwMw==&Mode=Gif&Locale=english-skin-custom

phylm
05-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Right now, pork and chicken is the lowest I've seen in quite awhile, the result of the producers having to sell off their stock because of the skyrocketing price of feed grains. I'm planning to buy pork, at $1.18-28 per pound, and maybe chicken thighs and legs, now at $.47 a lb., and can it. With our vegetable dehydrating going so well, I have the extra canning jars. ( I plan to keep a stock of canning jars handy, in case of the electrical grid going down, and no more freezer.)

I was explaining how simple it is to can meat to my cousin's husband this morning.

"You don't have to cook it first?!"

No, you just pack the jar with boned or unboned chicken, pork, or beef, add one half tsp of salt to a pint, or one tsp salt to the quart (no water or liquid). seal , and process. Leave half an inch of head space in the jar.

I have a supply of lovely chicken I canned last year when we raised chickens. It creates its own broth in the canning process. The other night, I opened a can, stripped it from the (very soft) bones, added a little barbeque sauce, and we had a different "Sloppy Joe." It is also good for anything for which you might need cooked chicken. phylm

mirkwood
05-06-2008, 02:13 PM
What is the shelf life of canned meats?

katcan
05-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Do you have to seal it with a pressure cooker? I only have a steam canner as of right now.

LarnaE
05-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Do you have to seal it with a pressure cooker? I only have a steam canner as of right now.

You need to use a pressure cooker. Here is a good article that explains

Canning Meat

By Thea Mann

Canning is the perfect way to preserve food for later use without the addition of chemicals and additives found in commercially preserved foods. While many people will freeze meat in order to preserve it for later use, not many have considered the convenience of canning meat. Canned meat can last for many years when it has been properly handled and stored, giving it a longer shelf life than frozen meat.

Nearly any kind of meat can be canned, but be sure you choose cuts and preparations that you enjoy as well as high-quality meats. As with all things, the higher the quality of your meat, the better your canned product will be. Lean meats, or meat with the fat trimmed, will be ideal for canning.

When preparing meats for canning, never use any canning method but pressure cooking and for the times recommended. Keep your meats cool while you prepare them (unless you are canning cooked meats) and handle your food as quickly as possible to reduce risk of contamination. Botulism and other food-borne illness are not able to be detected by sight, smell or taste. For this reason, following proper canning procedures are essential. Heat processing (and pressure processing, specifically) kills the bacteria that may contaminate your food, and the sealing process keeps your food from becoming re-contaminated. If you observe that the seal is not complete, you must either refrigerate or freeze within 24 hours. Do not guess when it comes to canning, especially meats.

Pints should be cooked for 75 minutes and quarts for at least 90 minutes, and this is true whether you are canning cooked or raw meats. You will gauge your processing time from the point when your pressure cooker reaches 10 pounds of pressure (or 11 pounds if you are using a dial gauge canner). The time and pressure used should be adjusted for your altitude.

When canning cooked meats, you will want to fill the jars with meat that is cooked to approximately 2/3 done-ness and hot broth, leaving 1 1/4 inches of headspace. Ground meats are generally better canned after cooking and with excess fats removed. Raw meats will be packed without liquids.

If you wish to can fish, choose a fatty fish (but not tuna), and keep them on ice until ready to can. Make certain the skin is next to the glass, and do not add liquids. The processing time for fish is 100 minutes. Do not can with head, tail, fins and scales and do not cook.

It is possible to can smoked fish, but not as simple as other methods. Smoked fish must be only lightly smoked prior to canning and must be processed in a 16 to 22 quart pressure cooker. Tin cans and quart jars are not safe for smoked fish. Fish should be cut into pieces that will fit vertically into pint-sized canning jars with at least 1 inch of headspace. Do not add liquid to your jars.

Different kinds and cuts of meat may require variations in temperature and pressure. Consult tested, USDA approved and current recipes for all canning, as most food-borne illness are the result of improper handling and storage of food.

It is highly unadvisable to attempt cooling your pressure cooking faster than by simply removing from heat source. Once jars are removed from the canner, do not allow them to set in a drafty location.

Once your jars have cooled for 24 hours, test the lids. They should be concave and not move when pressed. If they do not meet these requirements, your seals are not secure and you must reprocess or cold-store your canned meat.

Canning your own meat can give you the peace of mind of knowing what is in your foods as well as being sure about the freshness and quality of the food that you eat. A small investment of time is definitely worth it.

? Doityourself.com 2006

phylm
05-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I know that it is recommended that you use a pressure canner--any chance you can borrow one for meat?--but meat was canned for many years with water bath canners and used safely. I remember my mother canning all kinds of meat in a water bath canner all the years while I was growing up. If I were to be faced with losing a freezer full of meat, I'd sure do that. However, the processing time is so much less with a pressure canner, that it is much the preferable way to go.

As for storage life...I still have some canned chicken that I processed in 2003, and it is perfect. In glass jars, and if it is kept dark and cool, I wouldn't be afraid of it unless something compromised the seal. Hope this is of some help.

phylm
05-07-2008, 07:45 PM
PS: I may be getting crochety in my dotage, but, in this zero-risk society we live in now, I find that the modern recommended times for processing vegetables do a creditable job of turning them into mush. There! I feel better!