PDA

View Full Version : Sugar, Salt, Rice, now what?

castle
06-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I've got some sugar, salt, and rice in containers, what else do people store? thanks.

JuneGem
06-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Think about what you regularly eat, including condiments. That is a good start. Breakfast (oatmeal? Freeze dried [FD] fruits to add to that?). Lunch (can you bake your own bread for sandwiches and have the ingredients to do so?). Dinner (meats and FD veggies). Water and/or a water purification system. Pretty much the sky is the limit, but look at your own particular regular diet and start from there.

Babbi-Dan
06-19-2012, 06:02 AM
Beans! Beans and rice make a nutritious meal, or so I am told.

mirkwood
06-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Take a look here: http://preppercop.blogspot.com/

That will give you all kinds of ideas.

prairiemom
06-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Like June said, look at what you already eat. And make sure you eat rice and beans regularly. :l0 (46):

Seriously, beans are such a powerhouse food, you're foolish if you don't learn to like and use them regularly, like at least 2X/week. And they are the easiest food to store--long OR short term.

Gingersnap
06-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Beans are a great item to store because you can also sprout them and eat something fresh. Lentils, whole peas, most any type of bean and a canning jar and a screen over the mouth to rinse them while sprouting are needed. You could eat fresh in the winter or when you couldn't bear to think of eating one more bowl of rice.

Eating them regularly allows your gut to nurture bacteria that can help in digestion without the famous distress that usually follows a bean meal. Your system gets used to them, and you are getting a good protein/fiber/nutrient for a great price.

iggy
06-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Beans are a great item to store because you can also sprout them and eat something fresh. Lentils, whole peas, most any type of bean and a canning jar and a screen over the mouth to rinse them while sprouting are needed. You could eat fresh in the winter or when you couldn't bear to think of eating one more bowl of rice.

Eating them regularly allows your gut to nurture bacteria that can help in digestion without the famous distress that usually follows a bean meal. Your system gets used to them, and you are getting a good protein/fiber/nutrient for a great price.

I am giving a presentation at our July RS Evening meeting about Grains. These women have shown me how to grind grains. So I went online to find out about sprouting grains. Put together a compilation of nearly 46 different grains AND seeds that you can sprout, along with the nutrition advantages of each of them.

When you use a pint or quart jar, you need to tip the jar at an angle to get more water out. Keep it out of sunlight, and rinsed daily. Not just fill with water than drain. Fill just short of the top with water, shake- repeat SHAKE, then drain. A pint jar just isn't enough for us (hubby and myself) so I purchased a kit.

Also be very cautious of the seeds you purchase to sprout. I went to the local Organic Co-op, the organic section of Fred Meyer, went on-line to Territorial Seed, Emergency Essentials, and then found two places on-line: SproutPeople and WheatGrass Kits. SproutPeople have some of the best variety of seeds, and WheatGrass has the best price on the sprouters. Got my 4 tray Victorio on sale. Also bought the 12 seed sampler. 1 pound bags. Your seeds need to be free of chemicals. You can not sprout in a jar/sprouter seeds that you buy to plant in the ground. Those are coated with chemicals to ward off insects, mold, etc. Plus it is cost prohibitive to purchase enough envelopes to sprout enough for even one meal.

The only thing I would buy here locally is the Chia seeds. They are $3.00 cheaper at Fred Meyer. Yep- Chia seeds. You know, at Christmas you can buy the Chia Heads, Chia Pets, Chia etc. You don't sprout chia seeds. You grow them on a growing medium. When they reach about 2 or 4 inches high you cut and eat. OR you toss a tablespoon or two in with a can of your favorite soup, stir frequently as you heat the soup. They add no flavor, they enhance the flavor and they are one Great seed to be eating!

SproutPeople goes into wonderful detail how to sprout, shows pictures of grains/seeds sprouting and even has receipts.

Never thought I would like Garbanzo beans. The canned version is not nice- sticks to my mouth, needs lots of water to choke it down. I sprouted my own- two days is all - added them to the Mexican Chix Tomato soup I make for my husband (minus the cumin, cayenne and only 1/4 of the chili powder for me), also added Chia seeds- 1/2 cup to the 4 serving batch of soup. Oh. My. Word. was it good. Even my Won't Eat Seeds Ever husband loved it.

note to self: Self, don't tell Hubby when you are feeding him seeds- sprouted or not :l0 (29):

One of the sisters in the Branch bought the sprouter from EE- and she bought a few of the seeds. She and her husband love it. So I introduced her to WGrass and SPeople. They have since bought more grains & seeds from them and she always has something growing.

NOTE: If anyone wants the 36 page compilation of the grains and seed, along with recipes, pm me with your email addy, and I will send you the pdf file. OR if someone can instruct me on how to put it on the forum, I can then do that.

iggy
06-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Like June said, look at what you already eat. And make sure you eat rice and beans regularly. :l0 (46):

Seriously, beans are such a powerhouse food, you're foolish if you don't learn to like and use them regularly, like at least 2X/week. And they are the easiest food to store--long OR short term.
And if they get too old and just will not soften up no matter how long you cook them, you can grind them into flour and use that as a thickener. Did that with small great northern white beans.

Man oh Man, my beef roast gravy just could not taste any better!

prairiemom
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Ditto the bean flour. It also makes great instant soups.

I buy my alfalfa, radish and other sprouting seeds locally at a health food store, about 1/4 the cost of Sprout People (BTW, love, LOVE Sprout People. They have lots of great recipes.) Beans, lentils, wheat, barley, etc--if it's good enough to eat as a whole food, it's good to sprout.

To attach the PDF file to a post: when you are typing a post, do you see that paper clip at the top right next to the white smiley face? Just click that and then click the file on your computer that you want and upload it. I'd love to get your info. I'll PM you my email.

Aldon
06-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Bacon and Chocolate......and plenty of both!

Oh, And Butter!!!! Makes Wheat Bread yummy.

For that matter, makes most things better!:ihih:

iggy
06-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Bacon and Chocolate......and plenty of both!

Oh, And Butter!!!! Makes Wheat Bread yummy.

For that matter, makes most things better!:ihih:

Instead of shortening when you make it? Or just on it after it is baked.

If instead of, I have plenty of powdered butter I can use for that.

I can't get the file to upload, I think it is too big. I even saved it as a Word 97-2003 doc.

drat!:l0 (31):

Aldon
06-25-2012, 07:58 PM
After its baked. I have several cases iof the red feather canned butter......and Cheese. I forgot about the other pivotal staple!

iggy
07-18-2012, 04:23 PM
In doing research on my Grains, I found that white rice is not all that healthy for you. The bran is polished right off of it- there goes the fiber, and often that breaks off the germ- there goes some nutrients. If it won't sprout- it isn't as nutritious for you.

Substitute Kashi, wild rice, brown rice or Basmati for 'el cheapo, common every day white rice. In a previous life I only ate pearl rice- was stickier, and that is what then husband preferred.

Just recently bought rice, and got Basmati, cooked it up and I like it better. Also love it mixed half & half with Wild rice. Now husband likes wild rice mixed, and basmati. Though not just with butter or soy sauce like I do- he likes to mix it in with his stir fry.

Charsee
07-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Wheat, Beans and Popcorn would be my next purchases. If Costco carries the wheat where you live it is the cheapest right now. About $18 for 45 pounds in a bucket (no oxygen absorber so must be kept in cooler dry place) would need to have dry ice if stored in a warmer place. Sam's Club has the best gourmet popcorn for about $22 for 50 lbs. The LDS Church Cannery has the lowest prices for beans although Honeyville is second best right now for prices.

mgriffith
07-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Wheat, Beans and Popcorn would be my next purchases. If Costco carries the wheat where you live it is the cheapest right now. About $18 for 45 pounds in a bucket (no oxygen absorber so must be kept in cooler dry place) would need to have dry ice if stored in a warmer place. Sam's Club has the best gourmet popcorn for about $22 for 50 lbs. The LDS Church Cannery has the lowest prices for beans although Honeyville is second best right now for prices.

FYI, you can order wheat, rice, beans, etc (and a bunch of other stuff) from the LDS online store. Wheat is $28 for a case, which is about 35 pounds. Shipping is free. Of course then you'll have to wonder if the UPS guy is making a note of your address when he starts delivery of all that food. :D

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21158_-1_N_image_0

Mark

thomasusa
07-24-2012, 09:23 AM
...then you'll have to wonder if the UPS guy is making a note of your address when he starts delivery of all that food...

Mistakenly invert a couple of numbers in your address so it is delivered to the neighbor's house.
Later you can pick them up there and the UPS driver will have taken note of the wrong house.
You can tell your neighbor it is Christmas presents for your family.

Or better still, go pick it up yourself and pay cash. :l0 (49):

iggy
07-24-2012, 01:12 PM
FYI, you can order wheat, rice, beans, etc (and a bunch of other stuff) from the LDS online store. Wheat is $28 for a case, which is about 35 pounds. Shipping is free. Of course then you'll have to wonder if the UPS guy is making a note of your address when he starts delivery of all that food. :D

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21158_-1_N_image_0

Mark

My UPS man is married to a LDS member :l0 (41):