PDA

View Full Version : Out of date food

sunsinger
05-15-2008, 09:32 AM
I know things last longer than is posted. We have some Chicken Noodle soup that is from 2005. The problem is we never eat chicken noodle soup anymore. I would like to give it away, but food banks will not take out of date food. I don't want to keep it because I want to rotate in stuff we will eat.

Anyone want it? Any ideas? I am in Utah County.

bokbadok
05-15-2008, 09:38 AM
You could make an announcement in RS or the ward bulletin... see if someone in your ward wants it.

Earthling
05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Because of my food storage, I don't think my kids know what it's like to eat canned food that is newer than that! They are always joking about the age of our food. Canned food lasts a long time unless it leaks or bulges but the quality does deteriate. I have found out the hard way not to try to store some things that will go rancid very long i.e. chips, crackers, chow mein noodles.

I would call a few people in your ward or relatives for whom things are tight financially. They will appreciate it!

LoudmouthMormon
05-15-2008, 10:52 AM
You could make an announcement in RS or the ward bulletin... see if someone in your ward wants it.
Or an even quicker method - take it to church and leave it in a box in the foyer with a little sign that says "Free food storage".

LM

Molly
05-15-2008, 11:22 PM
I know things last longer than is posted. We have some Chicken Noodle soup that is from 2005. The problem is we never eat chicken noodle soup anymore. I would like to give it away, but food banks will not take out of date food. I don't want to keep it because I want to rotate in stuff we will eat.

Anyone want it? Any ideas? I am in Utah County.

Do you have anyone in your ward or neighborhood who are having tough times? Maybe you could call & ask if they would like it or play pixie & leave it on their doorstep. You could even go through your relief society president. She is involved with welfare & probably would know who could use it. That would be my first option is going through the RSP. What a wonderful thing you are wanting to do.

Molly

sunsinger
05-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Thank you for your ideas!