PDA

View Full Version : Do you have food storage classes in Sunday School?

arbilad
10-14-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm in the Sunday School presidency in my ward, and we're toying with the idea of having food storage classes in Sunday School. It would be a combination cooking demonstration/strategizing/how to/etc. It would be a limited class size Sunday School class, but we could take videos for showing others in the ward.
Maybe even, with the limited class size, we could do more individual counseling with people how they can get their storage started or how they can improve it. The Sunday School president and I are both into preparedness so we have a lot of info that we could pass on.
If any of you have done anything similar in the ward I'd like to hear. I want to pitch the idea to our Bishop.

iggy
10-14-2012, 05:12 PM
That is something that would be done in RS. We had a lesson on Dutch Oven Cooking taught by two husband & wife couples.

The Priesthood was invited, yet did not show up. No fires were lit, but Dutch Oven cooked meal was served. From main course to dessert.

arbilad
10-14-2012, 08:54 PM
While I realize that the Relief Society has demonstrations on cooking, canning, etc., that is not precisely what I'm talking about. For instance, class size would be limited. Also, it wouldn't just be cooking demonstrations, it would be planning, coming up with strategies on how to increase food storage, etc. Both the husband and the wife need to be in on that.

iggy
10-15-2012, 03:10 AM
Sundays to me are the time to be spiritually fed. How would a cooking class fit in with that?

What you want to do would be more suited to a home environment. Or to a day/night during the week, rather than on the Sabbath. It should also include the youth- they need to learn this. Actually what you are proposing is what I learned when I was a Laurel, during Mutual.

In our Branch they scheduled a Family History Class for beginners to be held at the same time as SS. That Sunday the Stake 1st Councilor was visiting, and apparently the Stake Presidency said to hold that class on Wed. night - same night that the YM & YW meet, not on Sunday.

Wednesday day is when a group of sisters meet to work on quilts. They had been staying after the block on Sunday - Stake Presidency said to find a different day/evening.

mirkwood
10-15-2012, 03:15 AM
Lose the cooking aspect and teach the principles.

Julie
10-15-2012, 07:50 AM
a Family History Class for beginners to be held at the same time as SS. That Sunday the Stake 1st Councilor was visiting, and apparently the Stake Presidency said to hold that class on Wed. night

Wow! Is that man uninformed. The church has a manual for the SS Class for Family History. The church has put out a lot of information they want taught on Sunday. Someone needs to have a little talk with the Stake President and educate him.

If people do not do their "own" family history the earth will be utterly wasted at the second coming. Satan knows that and he has done a pretty good job is trying to shut it down. When family history is the most popular hobby outside the church all the church can do is get 2-3% of its members to participate, then Satan is overjoyed.

Charsee
10-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Our stake was told that if there is no manual for the SS class that we can't teach it. So our stake presidency had us teach on the 5th Sunday when there wasn't a lesson. However, the bishop's totally have control of the topics for most of these lessons, so if it hadn't come from the stake president I doubt that the lesson would have happened. Regardless, after my (great if I do say so myself) lesson on preparedness, the bishop stood up the next sacrament meeting and said in his talk that the reason the emphasis is no longer on physical preparedness is that we must focus on becoming spiritually prepared. Not disagreeing but he could have put in a plug for food storage being a commandment and then gone on with his talk which I'm sure is pertinent to his concerns for our ward.

libertygranny
10-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Well, I have found in all my studying of the topic "preparedness", both temporal and spiritual, if you are not temporally prepared for whatever comes, you will not be in a position to be spiritually fed. Several latter day prophets have spoken on this when talking about the importance of each house having a store of foods.

Have we been commanded to have food storage or just encouraged? To me, when it has been spoken of for over 100+ years I do not take it as an encouragement but more of a command. I have found when I listen and obey, I am blessed. I can testify that this is true. We have been living on our fs for over 3 yrs of unemployment, yet we have not run out but have been blessed to add to it. Even w/no income we have added to our store of food, etc. And I believe the reason for this is because hubby and I started our food storage when we were engaged and we have always had food storage throughout our 34+ yrs of marriage.

CurtisG
10-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Have we been commanded to have food storage or just encouraged? To me, when it has been spoken of for over 100+ years I do not take it as an encouragement but more of a command.
A pretty good discussion of this can be found in the "Ask a Mormon" thread.
http://ldsglo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3962

Charsee
10-21-2012, 08:52 AM
It's a commandment...see providentliving.org and then look at the food storage page.

libertygranny
10-21-2012, 09:53 AM
here's the link:
https://www.lds.org/topics/food-storage?lang=eng