PDA

View Full Version : Wheat production by potato farmers

BackBlast
05-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I heard from a potato farmer that many have moved to wheat due to the profitability in wheat right now. He said that the potato crop was 39% of what it normally is this year.

This means there is a high probability of very high potato prices in the future, including shortage possibilities (nobody has long term potato storages, we depend on year-to-year production to fill demand). Though it should provide some relief to wheat. Prices may not come down due to increased demand due to problems in rice production world wide.

These types of shifts may also occur in other markets, expect large price hikes across the board this year.

Brandon

LarnaE
05-18-2008, 05:05 PM
I am glad I planted potatoes in my garden.

BackBlast
05-18-2008, 07:23 PM
I am glad I planted potatoes in my garden.

I like potatoes. :001_005: Glad we did too.

bokbadok
05-19-2008, 12:17 AM
It may not be obvious to non-farm folk, but wheat and potatoes require distinctly different equipment - from planting to harvest. A potato farmer can't just "jump" into wheat -- the equipment costs alone would bury him. The shift is in already diversified farmers changing the ratio of grain/potatoes they are planting. Many farmers are diversified - they grow two or three or more different crops, depending on what the local climate allows. The big farming families in my hometown area (SE Idaho) grow potatoes, sugar beets, and grain (wheat and barley). When wheat was in the basement, potatoes paid the bills. Some years sugar beets saved the day. I'll have to ask my dad what his former employer is planting this year, and in what proportions compared to previous years. I'll get back to you on that.

BackBlast
05-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I'd love to hear it. I don't know all that much about farming, I'm just reporting what someone said who claimed to be a potato farmer. Seemed to be logical enough, and made a few logical conclusions.

Brandon