PDA

View Full Version : Water storage for the home

iggy
05-24-2013, 01:02 PM
For our June RS Evening Meeting we are going to discuss Water storage for the home and Emergency Car Kits - what is in yours?

I have been tasked with the water storage. Me ~ who has three 55 gallon blue barrels sitting outside of my shed ~ empty. I have 4 gallons on the floor of my coat closet and 6 gallons on the floor of my master bedroom closet and 2.5 cases of 16 oz. bottles in the closet of my guest bedroom.

My shed intimidates me. It is not finished, i.e. no insulation and interior walls. The big, black, shiny spiders have taken it over. Did I mention they are BIG and SHINY?? Before the spiders took over, I was able to hang two 2 bulb shop lights. Though I didn't get one of the bulbs in securely enough and that fixture won't light. I am NOT, repeat NOT, climbing up and fixing it. That is where the Patriarch of the Spiders lives, thrives, holds court and snarls and growls at me whenever I even open the door. {{s h u d d e r}}

There is no way I am ever going to use this shed to store food. It will be used to store tools: garden & power; extra plastic totes (empty) and water. Water to drink and water to flush the toilet with, and wash with.

When we lived in Casa Grande AZ, we frequently had our water shut off. The local water company kept turning ours off instead of the meth heads next to us!! At that time we had plenty of drinking water. 48 gallons jugs and eight cases of 24 count 16oz bottles. There was NO way I was using any of that water to flush the toilet with. Now with two people on diuretics there is a lot of flushing going on. The first time it happened, I went across the road to the neighbor and she let me fill up 6 empty gallon jugs at her outside tap.

I only use liquid laundry detergent - I had 12 jugs sitting on the floor of my laundry room waiting for me to remove the spouts and totally empty them of detergent. After the water was turned back on, I proceeded to do that. Our of the 12 jugs I got a total of 1 3/4 cups of detergent! I then made a snap decision to fill those jugs with water, and store them in the laundry room for the next time the water got shut off for longer than an hour. Didn't even attempt to rinse them out. Why? The soap will clean the toilet as well as flush it. As for washing hands, or the body it works fine. Though you will have to use the precious drinking water to rinse with. For the 4 more years we lived there, our water was turned off 6 more times. The last was caused by the water company's pipes leaking! Over the years, the 12 jugs increased as I emptied new ones. When we moved, I emptied the jugs out in the tub, toilet and sinks and bagged the bottles for recycling.

Haven't yet done that here. Fill the empty jugs with water. Haven't been without water - yet. But washing & flushing water is a concern during emergencies. Little emergencies like the water being turned off so the water company can work on the lines, or when the line springs a leak! As well as BIG emergencies.

One of the sisters in our Evening Meeting Committee told of a sister she knew who canned water. Rather than let her canning jars sit empty, she filled them with water and canned them. To me that is a total waste of canning lids and the cost of electricity to do the water bath. NOW if you are canning other foods and have an empty space or two- then it makes sense.

I would like to bring up learning to cook with less tap/bottled water and utilizing the liquid from the canned foods. Also that it is not necessary to use as much water to cook pasta and raw potatoes in. During my entire adult life since I left home, my range tops have been funky. Only one or two burners that worked and those were the small burners, or too small for stock pots or sauce pans larger than 2 quarts. So I learned 2 cups of dry pasta cooks up fine and dandy in a 1 quart sauce pan. I made alfredo sauce from scratch - so I would save the pasta water and use that instead of clean water.

In Casa Grande, our tap water was undrinkable, hence the bottled water. Even filtering it with a Brita system didn't improve the flavor by much but enough where I could cook with it. It was the hardest thing for me to use my store bought bottled water to make gravy, soups, & sauces with. Also we were concerned about water usage when there would be no replacing that water for days, weeks or months. As I was dumping the liquid from a can of green beans down the drain, I realized that it could have easily been used to make the gravy for our dinner. Or add more water to it to equal 2 cups for the instant mashed potatoes, or add it to the water to boil the pasta in, then save the pasta water and make gravy.

I will be demonstrating how to flush the toilet with just two quarts of water. Yep, we are going to be going into the bathroom for that one. Would love to demonstrate how to shampoo-rinse but NOT condition any length of hair with one to two quarts of water. How to bathe with just two cups of water, from your face as far down as possible, from your feet as far up as possible, and then do possible.

Does anyone have any other water usage saver in the home ideas?

constable01
05-25-2013, 11:15 AM
First question,Are you in an area that freezes? If not, and you just want to store "utility water" for water for washing,flushing toilets etc. I would look at a Agway or Tractor supply store etc. for a agricultural liquid storage tank, a couple hundred gallons ready to use that won't require seperate shelter. You would still want to add bleach etc just to to keep the water from turning green etc.

constable01
05-25-2013, 11:22 AM
First question,Are you in an area that freezes? If not, and you just want to store "utility water" for water for washing,flushing toilets etc. I would look at a Agway or Tractor supply store etc. for a agricultural liquid storage tank, a couple hundred gallons ready to use that won't require seperate shelter. You would still want to add bleach etc just to to keep the water from turning green etc.

iggy
05-25-2013, 06:48 PM
It doesn't freeze here very often, it did this last winter for maybe a total of 36 hours over a 3 day span. That is a good suggestion to offer to the sisters at the RS Evening meeting. The water in the empty laundry detergent jugs is just for a temporary fix. Plus the soapy water does come in handy at other times.

prairiemom
05-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Here are two idease that I think are kind of cool:
http://www.waterbob.com/
http://www.supertankers.ca/ (this is the one I really want.)

Noahs ARK
05-25-2013, 07:22 PM
The water in the empty laundry detergent jugs is just for a temporary fix. Plus the soapy water does come in handy at other times.
I also use empty laundry detergent jugs. Also use empty bleach bottles and empty plastic kitty litter containers. Those are all excellent containers for water that can be used for anything from flushing toilets to washing.

Bo Smith
05-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Another solution is to build or purchase a purifier/filter. How fixed are you for water outside the home? Any creeks or streams that run year around? Even when I lived in Arizona I was close to a number of streams and rivers that flowed all year long (albeit down to trickles in the summertime). Where we are now there are quite a few streams. I don't count on them for potability. I do know that I can run them through any number of commercial filters and get water clean enough to drink. I know that the World Health Organization has information on their website regarding storing rain water and building sand filters- worth checking out.

Water is not difficult to store; but it sure does take up a lot of space. I used to store about a hundred gallons. It just got easier to store good, professional-grade water filters (think Katadyn and Berkey).

iggy
05-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Another solution is to build or purchase a purifier/filter. How fixed are you for water outside the home? Any creeks or streams that run year around? Even when I lived in Arizona I was close to a number of streams and rivers that flowed all year long (albeit down to trickles in the summertime). Where we are now there are quite a few streams. I don't count on them for potability. I do know that I can run them through any number of commercial filters and get water clean enough to drink. I know that the World Health Organization has information on their website regarding storing rain water and building sand filters- worth checking out.

Water is not difficult to store; but it sure does take up a lot of space. I used to store about a hundred gallons. It just got easier to store good, professional-grade water filters (think Katadyn and Berkey).

Welcome to the forum Bo - We live approximately 2 miles from the Port of Alsea - Alsea Bay, Waldport OR. We would have to trespass on private property to get access to the Alsea River. The Branch Meetinghouse is maybe 1 mile from the ocean, yet comfortably out of the tsnumai danger zone, as I am. We are a branch of mostly senior citizens. Husband and I are both overweight and not physically capable of hauling more than 12 loaded grocery bags from the car into the house via the handicap ramp. I do it unassisted, he uses his rollater walker.

Personally I wanted to put the 55 gallon drums on top of the house - cover them with a false roof - and have them hooked to each other in tandem with water entering in at the first one and flowing out the last in line. Our general contractor/handyman says the roof cannot hold the weight of the drums. OK - how about we build a structure over the back of the house that CAN hold the weight of 4 drums full of water, put walls and a roof on it, run tandem lines from them to the 4 in the shed? Because husband rolled his eyes, contractor didn't take me seriously. When I have the money - we'll see just how seriously he takes me.

IF I were still living on my 5 acres 5 miles inland with my well and the 1500 gallon holding tank 250 feet above the roof of the house, I wouldn't have to really worry about it. When the well went low in September, I pumped water from the creek, 300 feet below my house. THIS water I filtered with a simple whole house filter to flush, bathe and wash clothes in. Boiled and super filtered to cook and wash dishes in because beavers lived in it. Hauled water from town in 5 gallon collapsible containers to drink from. When the well filled up, the holding tank was drained, and scrubbed down. The lines flushed with a solution I got from the County Extension Office. Also drained and cleaned the hot water heater.

Quite a few of the sisters & their husbands are into the SHTF aspic of preparedness. They have the MRE for the 72 hour kits, boxed water, many 55 gallon drums of water, freeze dried & dehydrated foods [all of which require water to reconstitute by the way]. A few of us consider our food storage as a grocery store. I do have FD & dehydrated foods, but I am not dependent on them, and have found substitutes for quite a few of the canned items. Like brownie, muffin & cornbread mixes in the #10 cans. Whew, but they are really expensive. Marie C's in the envelopes are cheaper and though they are a bit of a challenge to store singly on a shelf, they are not impossible. I put mine in plastic totes that fit easily on the shelves of my DIY press-board 2 door cupboards. Same with the cookie mixes. Three totes to a shelf, about 12 envelopes per tote. I am thankful I resisted the urge to buy a #10 can of baking powder. Once opened it will die in a matter of months. Unless you bake commercially you are wasting money. Make your own out of baking soda and cream of tartar.

Some refill juice jugs with drinkable water. Yet they don't use the water so it doesn't get rotated. One elderly couple thought the water they had stored in apple jugs was bad because it didn't taste fresh. The jug they tried was 4 years old. They dumped the 30 jugs into their garden and down the driveway. I am sure all the water needed was to be aerated and then chilled a bit. What I need to do is go to the County Extension Office and find out if it is necessary to add bleach to the drinking water. In this area we have three water companies. I am on city water. I can smell the bleach when I fill a glass from the tap. Wish my washing machine was on a filter system - because I really don't wash with bleach at all. Our garments are turning yellow from the bleach.

I have the food, cleaning, personal items pretty much down pat. It is the water that we are most concerned about. Oh, yeah, we will be getting a generator. Want to keep the fridge, freezer and an electrical socket or two running. We have a camp stove - will be purchasing the volcano around the same time as the generator.

Bo, thank you for the advice on the filters. Will add that to my list of possibilities.

iggy
05-27-2013, 07:19 PM
I also use empty laundry detergent jugs. Also use empty bleach bottles and empty plastic kitty litter containers. Those are all excellent containers for water that can be used for anything from flushing toilets to washing.
I go through 1 gallon of bleach in maybe three months or longer. Only use it in a spray bottle - 1 part bleach to 4 parts water to spray the bottom of the tub with. Husband has chronic athletes foot and I cannot afford to catch it from him. I also spray my feet with straight Listerine after my shower.

The plastic kitty litter containers - both the buckets and the pour jugs - are too expensive for me. I buy the litter in the boxes and stock up when they are on sale. IF the buckets are on sale w/price comparable to the boxes, those get purchased and kept. Wish they had clumping litter in the 50# bags - but so far haven't found that in the stores I shop in. Wish they had dry cat food in the 50# bags too.

Oh, when I was in Casa Grande AZ - I only gave my two cats Brita filtered water. Here in Oregon I did at first. Lately I have been giving them straight from the tap water. It has affected their bowels. So they are now on Brita filtered water again.

Bo Smith
05-28-2013, 11:04 AM
The water we store short-term is steam distilled. I keep two Nalgene bottles in my three-day pack (what I would deploy with as a member of the Medical Reserve Corps or similar). I've found the taste fluctuates less with distilled water.

Speaking of stills, that's another one to consider. I have been drawing up plans to make a water still with an old hot water heater. I haven't tried my hand at making the cooling jacket, though.

Just make sure it's for water and not hooch. ;)

NoGreaterLove
05-28-2013, 11:59 AM
I would recommend purchasing an 1100 gallon above ground black water tank and have it delivered. We had one in Waddell for years and never had it mold or become contaminated. We just drained and refilled it every six months out in the back yard. place it where it can be filled with water run off from the house if necessary.

CurtisG
05-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Just make sure it's for water and not hooch. ;)
Don't give the "storing booze for barter" crowd any ideas:l0 (61):

iggy
05-31-2013, 09:45 AM
I would recommend purchasing an 1100 gallon above ground black water tank and have it delivered. We had one in Waddell for years and never had it mold or become contaminated. We just drained and refilled it every six months out in the back yard. place it where it can be filled with water run off from the house if necessary. I would have to measure to see if it will fit on our *postage stamp* size space at the back of the house. I would be concerned about the neighbors - could build a shelter around it.

DMGNUT
05-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Some molds grow in the dark, some in the light, so the black tank vs a white (or opaque) tank is more a matter of where you live.
If you live in the desert, go with opaque and the water will not get as hot (which will be a big problem here in the desert), if you live up north, the black will help to absorb heat from the Sun and it will not be as apt to freeze.
Neither of these is a "fool proof" method to avoid too hot of water, or frozen water, but will only offer a slight nudge in the right direction.
So long as you do as NoGreaterLove suggested and drain the tank every 6 months or so, you shouldn't have any problem with mold.

still_waiting
06-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Our water storage is in the basement in 5-gal containers and 2 liter soda bottles. All together, I counted over 450 gallons and it's for just the wife and I now that the kids are grown and gone. We also have a Royal Berkey to filter anything questionable and a ZeroWater filter tank that's even more fine in its filtering. Some people think those soda bottles are not the way to go, but when stored in the dark they make a decent way to have emergency water. They used to be recommended for us poor people at the Provident Living site at one time.

H20 Man
07-23-2013, 03:36 PM
We have come up with the best way to store your water. While our product is about the same price as an appliance, you can take it with you when you move as well. Our system automatically rotates your water for you so you don't have to. It also shuts off if there is ever a natural disaster and your water supply is shut off. Check it out at http://www.readymadewater.com (we are updating our site in a few weeks as well)