PDA

View Full Version : Bread making help

faif2d
12-19-2014, 05:36 PM
I have purchased a bread maker to try to make some bread. I have tried several of their recipes but am having a problem. After the rising series of steps are done I have what is a nice looking loaf but after the bake cycle the top has collapsed and sunk into itself. I do not think it is a yeast problem as the bread does rise into a nice rounded loaf but when heated to cook it collapses. Any hints out there?

libertygranny
12-19-2014, 11:55 PM
sorry, I've never used a bread maker...I still do it the old fashioned way mixing it by hand, letting it rise in a bowl, shaping it into loaves and baking it in the oven.

but part of your problem may be it is rising too much before baking.

Julie
12-20-2014, 09:27 AM
1 tbsp of abscorbic acid (vitamin C) and whole wheat will rise in them just fine.

arbilad
12-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Are you cooking at high altitude? That could also affect it.

faif2d
12-20-2014, 07:34 PM
I am at 600 ft above sea level. The dough is about 50% fresh ground wheat and the rest bread flour so I will get some ascorbic acid and give that a try. I went with the bread machine to help eliminate problems like this it is rather frustrating. Thanks for all the input.

Lucy
12-20-2014, 10:53 PM
I agree with Libertygranny. The dough is probably rising too long. Maybe you could use a little less yeast and/or cook it sooner? I also haven't used a bread machine but have made many loaves of bread the old fashioned way!

iggy
12-21-2014, 11:34 AM
I have purchased a bread maker to try to make some bread. I have tried several of their recipes but am having a problem. After the rising series of steps are done I have what is a nice looking loaf but after the bake cycle the top has collapsed and sunk into itself. I do not think it is a yeast problem as the bread does rise into a nice rounded loaf but when heated to cook it collapses. Any hints out there?
When you grind your flour do you measure it, then sift the chaff to separate it from the flour? When I first made bread using freshly ground grain, the loaves looked like they had been scarred from fire. The trick with using freshly ground wheat is grind it, then measure it out, then using a very fine mesh sieve (NOT a sifter) separate the chaff from the flour. Save the chaff and add it just before you let the dough rest prior to kneading it. OR separate the chaff, then measure the flour.

I have yet to add any more than 1 TBS vital gluten per 2 cups fresh ground flour, or extra yeast at all. My best friend used a bread maker when her arthritic hands could no longer knead bread. Once she quit using enriched flour her bread no longer needed extra gluten and or yeast.

Personally I don't like bread made in those machines. It tastes like there is plastic cooked in the loaves. I know there isn't - I also just can't get over the square loaves.

Also, have you gone on-line to the bread machine manufacturer and asked them why your bread collapses? Could be that the machine isn't cooking properly.

goldilocks
12-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Ive never had any luck either with the bread machine. Mine always collapses and looks war torn on top.
I make it by hand tho and it turns out every time with fresh ground flour

goldilocks
12-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Ive never had any luck either with the bread machine. Mine always collapses and looks war torn on top.
I make it by hand tho and it turns out every time with fresh ground flour

faif2d
01-05-2015, 03:46 PM
I tried the abscorbic acid but at the same time I cut down the yeast slightly. Next time I leave the yeast alone and just add the abscorbic acid, that should do it! I feel that I am real close.