PDA

View Full Version : Book(s) suggestions for Governments and similar

Aldon
01-26-2015, 12:33 PM
All,

I have Food and protection/harvest preps in place...More always ongoing but focus has shifted elsewhere.

I am starting to focus on adding to my fairly well stocked Doctrinal and Church material.

I have deemed it appropriate to build a small library of basic skills like math etc.

Are there any books that discuss the different types of governments?

Also, i have the books the Real Jefferson, Washington & Franklin and some other similar works.

I would like to add something that covers the Federalist and Anti-Federalist discourse. Any suggestions on this?

Also, As I have yet to acquire the basic school materials, any suggestions in this regard will also be appreciated.

In the end, I wish myself or someone else be able to teach from my library from cradle to grave...so to speak:) (The Doctrinal stuff covers much)

I would prefer that the library be condensed in biggest bang for the shelf and carry space.....

arbilad
01-26-2015, 02:11 PM
I would suggest buying a home school curriculum for basic school materials. Something like the Robinson curriculum has all sorts of books on CD that you can print out, either in advance or at need.

Aldon
01-27-2015, 11:14 AM
looking for hard copy books. I do not trust that electronic media will endure.....the unknown situations the future may hold.

I picked up a nice 6 volume set on Jeffereson off ebay for about 5 a piece.

I would like something that discusses the different types of governments, the pluses and minuses etc. Not sure if such a thing exists.

On the trail of a pretty good Federalist / anti-federalist book.

Then I need to dig up the usual basics. Ideally I want hard copy books not tainted by Unions and Progressives.

libertygranny
01-27-2015, 12:28 PM
As a now 'retired' home school mom, I recommend the 'Key to' series for math studies. Once you have basic math down: addition, subtraction, multiplying, and division, the 'Key to' series each cover fractions, percent, measurements, algebra, geometry, etc. These are all paper workbook type, but I just made copies of the pages since I had 5 kids using the series at different times.

As for government type books...most of the books that NCCS sells is what we used along with books written by GAs and H. Verlan Anderson.

For science we used basic science books and then the kids branched off from there depending on what they wanted to study more in depth.

For grammar I found some republished books from the late 1800's/early 1900's that were excellent. sorry, it has been too many years since we home schooled to remember the name of the set I bought.

I also bought a cursive handwriting course that was published by the same place that did the grammar books.

CurtisG
01-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Here's a link to what seems like a good one: http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Federalist-Anti-Federalist-Hackett-Classics/dp/0872206556

I have a copy of this book http://www.amazon.com/DYNAMIC-FREEDOMS-OUR-FREEDOM-DOCUMENTS/dp/B0014XDVNA , it's a nice little primer on our founding principles.

A scan from inside.....

http://www.ldsglo.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1170&d=1422651079

Dr.Jride
01-30-2015, 11:34 PM
Try "The 5,000 Year Leap" by Skousen. It talks about how our forefathers studied all former governments before forming our Republic.

Aldon
01-31-2015, 09:57 PM
Thanks. The Leap is good. Have it as well. Pretty much have the revolutionary period covered.

I would like a simple comparison type book or booklet that covers all the government styles...monarchy, democracy, oligarchy etc but perhaps not enough material for a book or way too much if meaningful discourse is included.

i find lots of books dedicated to particular styles like Syndey Algernons book...