PDA

View Full Version : The 3 storage topics to start a fight

KF7EEC
03-08-2015, 01:37 AM
Want to start a fight online? Go to a LDS Food Storage type site (other than maybe GLO), and post about in no particular order:

Sharing food storage
Call Outs
Weapons/guns/ammo as part of your home storage

What do you think? Other good fight starting topics?

iggy
03-08-2015, 10:05 AM
There are other LDS food storage, et el, forums??? Just bring that subject up in RS or PH, but for me a Sister in Zion it was at the RS Evening Meeting. Boy Howdy did they all get up in *Arms* over that one. This is at the meeting where I was teaching and instructing about Grains, Seeds and Beans. About how to sprout them and have the fresh green sprouts to eat for winter. Then I suggested that they could share their sprout growing with their neighbors, friends and family who were non-LDS.

That quickly evolved into - No way am I going to give up my Food Storage.

At least the RS Presidency stepped in and encouraged the Sisters to chill out. Perhaps having the Stake RS Presidency and visiting RS Presidency sisters from a couple of Utah Wards (visiting family here) was the reason for the Chill It Sisters act.

This city was in pretty dire straights back in 1991- when we got hit with a horrible wind storm - 100+ wind gusts, tornado style winds ripping and twisting trees and roof tops. Extremely high water flooding from the ocean. Everyone of the cities citizens banded together to help. Opened their homes to the poor people who lost their homes AND belongings to the high, high tides and the ripped off roofs. We also had landslides all over. Roads and parts of roads were washed out, covered or just plain disappeared. This city only lost two citizens to death. One was an elderly gentleman whose bed was floating around in his bedroom and he got up out of bed to see why- the dresser and the bed pinned him down and he drowned. The other was a 30 something woman who left her house for the safety of her parked car in her driveway. Two trees fell over on her. Had she stayed in the house, she would have been okay.

People were stranded in their homes or between washouts trying to get home. The store owners donated water and batteries. ALL of the citizens rallied together to get needed supplies to those who were stranded.

Those women at church who complained WERE not here in town in 1991. Those who had been here told of how their food storage helped not only their own families but those who needed it because of the storm. Several of their husbands went out and shot deer for food to feed the citizens. Delivery trucks could not get here and most all of us were without electricity too. Stores sold meats at a reduced price. Odd isn't it? You would think that they would double or quadruple the prices, but they didn't. They gave away ice cream too.

The roof of my house was torn off, our friends took us in. Took 6 months to repair our house. We had to rent a place and the landlord only charged us $250.00 a month instead of the $400.00 he could easily of gotten. Our insurance paid the rent, we had to pay the utilities.

Any way, back to RS Evening Meeting. When we had our next 5th Sunday, the Stake Preparedness people came and taught that lesson. Yes we are to prepare, but we are also to SHARE. Created quite the buzz for months to come.

mirkwood
03-08-2015, 12:37 PM
Charity has it's place. So does the parable of the ten virgins.

arbilad
03-08-2015, 01:08 PM
In my opinion, the question of whether to share or not is missing the point. We have been commanded to have a year's supply of food, clothes, and where possible fuel. We have been told that this will be as important to us as the ark was to Noah. This is a spiritual commandment - if we don't prepare for whatever time the prophecy meant, then we will not be saved. Even if everyone around us prepared. We have not been told "Mirkwood's food supply will be as important to us as the ark was to Noah." If we don't have the faith to follow the commandment, we will not have the faith to be saved when the prophesied time arrives.

arbilad
03-08-2015, 01:10 PM
BTW, back onto the original subject of the thread, I think that another subject bound to cause heated discussion is the subject of what to store. Whether it's rice and beans, or freeze dried and MREs.

PhoenixRising
03-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Want to start a fight online? Go to a LDS Food Storage type site (other than maybe GLO), and post about in no particular order:

Sharing food storage
Call Outs

So there is a shortage of subjects that could be used to create contention on the internet???

constable01
03-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Weapons as part of your preps and food storage is a must.....................................other wise it is NOT "YOUR" food storage it's whoever killed your family and took it's food storage!! There is no debate here this is FACT!! If you think somebody is going to watch their family suffer while yours eats and leave you alone because it's good manners you're mentally ill.

CurtisG
03-08-2015, 09:50 PM

How about the Great Cheese Wax Controversy?:001_302:
Seriously though, I recall "storing alcohol for bartering" being the source of some strongly worded posts.

Earthling
03-08-2015, 10:58 PM
I didn't know there was a cheese wax controversy. But I love buying Tillamook 2 lb. cheese blocks in the orange wax wrapper and storing it in my frig for YEARS! The best stuff is 2-3 years old - after that you have to scrap off some mold. That is how Tillamook ages that sharp cheese in the black wrapper you pay the big bucks for - they just refrigerate it for six months. Anyway, I LOVE my cheese! makes the best cheese balls! We practically fight over it at Christmas.

Toni
03-09-2015, 04:06 PM

Sharing food storage
Call Outs

I will get distracted if I read the replies before I post (because all of you will have so much better replies than I am sure to make :aureola:)

Sharing food storage is sure to get some animated responses, as will the weapons part. Two definite sides to those issues.

Call outs. Some might wonder what the heck that is. The discussions I've seen on that, though, seem pretty tame in comparison to the other two.

Any excommunicated member who was in the public eye (even if the "public" only amounted to a few hundred people), especially if they wrote books and/or had a podcast/blog. Even if very few knew who he or she was before the topic came up.

Who should die if there isn't enough food for everyone. That topic was first thrown at me in high school, then again in college.

Toni
03-09-2015, 04:21 PM
So there is a shortage of subjects that could be used to create contention on the internet???

:smilielol5:

I wonder if one of the reasons for inventing the internet was to give people a reason to fight. :d0 (44):

Toni
03-09-2015, 04:23 PM
How about the Great Cheese Wax Controversy?:001_302:
Seriously though, I recall "storing alcohol for bartering" being the source of some strongly worded posts.

And cigarettes. (I don't remember seeing much strong resistance over coffee, though.)

And I see that the sharing vs not sharing disagreements have entered this thread already.

Toni
03-09-2015, 04:24 PM
I didn't know there was a cheese wax controversy. But I love buying Tillamook 2 lb. cheese blocks in the orange wax wrapper and storing it in my frig for YEARS! The best stuff is 2-3 years old - after that you have to scrap off some mold. That is how Tillamook ages that sharp cheese in the black wrapper you pay the big bucks for - they just refrigerate it for six months. Anyway, I LOVE my cheese! makes the best cheese balls! We practically fight over it at Christmas.

Two pounds of cheese wouldn't last that long here. In a month or less, it would be gone.

DMGNUT
03-12-2015, 08:45 PM
My personal favorite is whether we should or could carry a gun to church (excluding UT, where the state has passed a law saying you can't)... and no, I'm not talking about law enforcement officers. :cool:

Earthling
03-15-2015, 07:45 PM
No one is saying to only store 2 lbs . . . they comes in 2 lb blocks so store all you want. I don't recommend storing what you can't use in 3 years though. We buy more to replenish what we've used when it's on salt. Put a date on the end of it - you'll need it for rotation.

Toni
03-17-2015, 01:38 AM
Got it. I misunderstood.

CurtisG
03-23-2015, 12:13 AM
Two pounds of cheese wouldn't last that long here. In a month or less, it would be gone.
How long the cheese lasts is directly proportional to how many crackers you have in storage:yummie:
So let's see if this manages to aggravate everybody: When I get to the tent city, I won't share anything with anyone(except for ramen noodles) and anyone who thinks otherwise does at their own peril. The good news is that being surrounded by Mormons, I won't lose any sleep worrying about having to share the "barter" vodka and cigs with my neighbors:l0 (49):

PS: I realized that "proportional vs proportionate" is a controversy of its own!

OPossumTX
03-23-2015, 02:05 PM
What I give, I give. What I don't give, I protect.

Well, that is probably more than I should have posted.

Toni
03-23-2015, 07:44 PM
How long the cheese lasts is directly proportional to how many crackers you have in storage:yummie:

:l0 (48):

Aldon
03-26-2015, 09:22 AM
To can or not to can........butter

Harm
03-26-2015, 11:30 PM
Start any statement on any topic "the brethren have said", or "the prophet said". Which is kind of scary.

DMGNUT
05-21-2016, 02:26 PM
My personal favorite is whether we should or could carry a gun to church (excluding UT, where the state has passed a law saying you can't)... and no, I'm not talking about law enforcement officers. :cool:

No one seemed to want to comment on this argument starter... hmmm, wonder why? :001_cool:

KF7EEC
05-23-2016, 02:15 PM
No one seemed to want to comment on this argument starter... hmmm, wonder why? :001_cool:

the "Security Guidelines for Church Meetinghouses" from last month talks about this. Quotes what's in the handbook and then goes into greater detail.

DMGNUT
05-24-2016, 08:09 AM
the "Security Guidelines for Church Meetinghouses" from last month talks about this. Quotes what's in the handbook and then goes into greater detail.

I'd love to have a link to that... since I can't seem to find it on my own. :001_cool:

arbilad
05-24-2016, 12:59 PM
When the homicide detective in our ward takes off his suit jacket he's basically open carrying, and he doesn't care who notices. And he carries a big ol' .45 caliber weapon.

sunsinger
05-30-2016, 09:59 PM
Tent City? What tent city? :a0:

DMGNUT
05-31-2016, 12:28 AM
Tent City? What tent city? :a0:

LOL

arbilad
06-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Although I have thought of one good use for a tent - it's a place for the relatives that you don't want to be in the same house with and yet you won't feel that you can send away in the face of widespread disaster.
Or you can do some cooking in a tent, as long as you keep the heat source low. You don't want all that smoke in the house with you, but there are some days that just aren't conducive to cooking outside.

DMGNUT
06-03-2016, 02:02 PM

I would still love to read more about this... and unfortunately still can't seem to find anything about it.

iggy
06-10-2016, 10:51 AM
This is all I could find on lds dot org
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/no-firearms-in-latter-day-saint-houses-of-worship
1 FEBRUARY 2004 - Salt Lake City, UT

No Firearms in Latter-day Saint Houses of Worship SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has mailed a letter to its local leaders in Utah informing them that the Church "plans to invoke ... Utah law and give public notice that firearms are prohibited in the Church's houses of worship, including temples, meetinghouses, the Assembly Hall, the Salt Lake Tabernacle, and the Conference Center."

This action implements the Church's position announced by the First Presidency in 1996 that churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world and that, consequently, lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, do not belong in houses of worship. The Church shares this belief with many other religions in Utah.

The Church will register its position with the State Bureau of Criminal Investigation and provide notice in the newspaper, as required by the Utah law that allows religious organizations to prohibit concealed weapons from their premises.
Once the actions of registering and providing public notice are completed, individuals with concealed-carry weapons permits will not be allowed to bring their firearms inside Latter-day Saint houses of worship.

DMGNUT
06-10-2016, 04:13 PM

Thanks Iggy, I really appreciate your efforts, but from KF7EEC's post, I thought something "new" had been said, in just the last few months or so.
At least I feel a little better, since I'm not the only one who can't find anything on the above reference... :coool:

KF7EEC
06-10-2016, 07:21 PM
its on letters.lds.org if you have access to that.

mirkwood
06-10-2016, 11:54 PM

I didn't see anything on the topic.

DMGNUT
06-11-2016, 02:01 AM

I'm not sure what that is, but I'll look for it and ask the wife about it... thank you kindly. :coool:

DMGNUT
06-11-2016, 02:22 AM
Typing that into google took me to a whole part of the church's archives that I've never seen or even knew about before, but regardless of where I went in there, or how many areas I tried to use the site's search function, I never could find anything that referred to Meeting House Security Guidelines, or anything even remotely related to that...
I did find the letters.lds.org area, but it didn't have anything either... sure was a bunch of internet and multi-media guidelines though... I mean a whole bunch.
Even what Iggy found is from back in 2004 and is referring only to Utah and its state law.
They say ignorance is bliss (:willy_nilly:)... so I suppose I will remain my ignorant self and rely entirely on the Handbook 2 and the one sentence it has.

KF7EEC
06-12-2016, 12:04 PM
I didn't see anything on the topic.

The content shown is based on your Church calling. It is dated April 28, 2016.

mirkwood
06-12-2016, 08:48 PM
What is the title of the section? Who can show it to me?

KF7EEC
06-12-2016, 10:28 PM
What is the title of the section? Who can show it to me?

go ask a member of your Bishopric or Ward Clerk.

DMGNUT
06-13-2016, 04:42 PM
I kind of figured a person's "calling" might have something to do with it... but that kind of begs the question, how is anyone supposed to know that the church released something new or additional, which is meant to clarify or maybe even change what they've already said on some topic, if no one is allowed to see it?
If I don't even know about it, I guess it can't be said that I'm disregarding it... :a0 (23):
Like I said before... ignorance is bliss... :smile (2):

mirkwood
06-13-2016, 10:04 PM
Got a copy of it through the HPGL last night. I'll read it later.

Harm
06-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Really just some basic stuff very similar to what I get at work regarding actions during certain possible events.

DMGNUT
06-23-2016, 09:07 PM
As Harm said, basic stuff that most employers would (or in some cases, do) tell their employees, and more importantly, nothing that changes or alters what's already printed in Hand Book 2.