PDA

View Full Version : Help with campfire water heater plans

Poltax
06-18-2015, 10:24 PM
Many years ago at a Girls Camp, my wife saw a portable water heater made out of a galvanized trash can. The can sat about 4 ft from the fire with copper tubing going to the fire and back to the can. She also thinks that the tubing was coiled in the can, plus the coil at the end of the 4 ft run to the fire. Does anyone know of a diagram or plans for something like this?

I have seen a youtube vid with a 5 gal bucket and copper tubing which is close to what she had seen.

Rand
06-19-2015, 10:57 AM
I have not found plans online, but I have seen them before. The one I saw was made out of a Keg, with a copper tubing, about half an inch thick, that left the top of the barrel, extended about two feet away from the keg, and then wound back and forth, in an exaggerated sine wave, or could have been a coil, which sat in the bottom of the fire, and then entered the bottom of the barrel. The cold water came in from the bottom of the barrel, and as it was heated, reentered the barrel at the top. It worked quite well, as I remember. If you find plans, please share.

loquaciousmomma
06-21-2015, 09:01 PM
I have the plans in the book Roughing it Easy 2 (http://www.amazon.com/Roughing-Easy-2-Dan-Thomas/dp/0446818178) by Dian Thomas.