PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Tents

thermocouple
02-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Cabela's makes good tents, of modern material and quality manufacture. They a roomy all-season dome-style tent and a modernized versions of a wall tent. They are an interesting line of tents worth your consideration, and despite their modern material manufacture they are designed to accomodate wood burning camp stoves.

The Big Horn II is dome-style but reinforced with steel frame members, making it very rugged and sturdy for it's size. An optional vestibule which can be used as a mud-room dramatically enhances the liveability of this tent, and would be worth considering. The Big Horn II measures in at 12x14 and costs $650 for the tent and another$190 for the vestibule.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/cbatson73/bighorntent.jpg

The Alaknak II is Cabela's modernized version of a wall tent. Like the Big Horn, it has additional steel framing for improved support and strength. It has windows along the sides and a door at each end, for summer-time air flow. Like the Big Horn it can accomodate a vestibule which is a very useful and valuable space for that muddy and wet gear that you just dont want hanging around the living space. The large version measures in at 12x20, and a complete package including tent, vestibule, stove jack panel protector and floor liner will cost you around $1200.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/cbatson73/ALAKNAK-1.jpg

The benefit to considering these tents is that they include everything with the purchase (many wall tent manufacturers do not include the frame, they give you a cut list and it becomes the customer's responsibility to procure the frame materials and cut them to size). They are well thought out designs and seem well made. Cabela's is very well regarded for their outstanding customer service, they stand behind their products 100%. If you dont like it, bring it back.

The drawback to these tents is that they are indeed modern manufacture, both frame and shell. If you are taking emergency shelter, a broken frame member would be very difficult to adequately repair, and impossible to replace without modern support. Also, while they state the quality and durability of the shell material, the fact is that the material simply has not been around long enough to know how well it will do over so much time. Canvas has been around for centuries, and it's durability is well documented. I can say though that the Cabela's near my home has these tents pitched for months at a time during the nicer (and hotter/sunnier) seasons, and the tents seem to fare decently.

As with any purchase, do your homework.

mirkwood
02-22-2008, 02:17 AM
We bought this one and love it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=search_redir&id=0053232518211a&navCount=1&podId=0053232&parentId=cat20105&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20105&hasJS=true

thermocouple
02-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Mirkwood, I would love to see a short write-up on this tent, including any pro's and con's that you have experienced.

DMGNUT
02-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Sometimes you're in the right place at the right time. I picked up a Montana Canvas 12x14 Wall Tent (originally sold at Cabellas for $1200, they may still carry them, but I don't know). I paid $400. It had been used 4 times. The guy had taken real good care of it and had even built a real nice (and sturdy) box for the poles to go in and bought indoor-outdoor carpet for it. It has 5' walls, a 9' center height, door, window, venting for stove pipe, etc.
This is 1 of 5 tents we have. Don't bother saying it, I already know, I'm a bit "off".
In my defense, two of the tents are small 2 man backpacking tents, that the boys and I use for Scout activities. One is a large 3 room tent we got at Target about 6 years ago (can't remember the brand) that has really held up well. Its been used literally dozens of times and is still like new. The last one is one of those that looks like the old traditional Sears and Roebuck pyramid tents, but has a big vestibule that opens to the back of the tent, and snugs down around the back of your SUV or a pickup with a camper shell. Really nice design.

thermocouple
02-27-2008, 11:45 AM
I dont think you're crazy, but that might not be saying much. I have a 22' tipi, an 8x10 wall tent, a 1-man backpacking tent and a 2-man backpacking tent, a family sized mutli-room dome camping tent and a 3-man dome camping tent for father/son type campouts. And I still see tents that I think I need, still have my eye on a modified pyramid tent.

BTW, great score on that Montana Canvas tent.

Izzybean
02-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Why do you need a modified pyramid tent? I did not realize you guys had that many tents!! We have an 18' tipi (which isn't even currently at our home) and a cabin tent (i think that is what it is called). That is all we have. Don't forget you have the little kids tipi as well. :)

thermocouple
02-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah, forgot about the mini tipi. You know what a gear junkie I am.

mirkwood
02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Mirkwood, I would love to see a short write-up on this tent, including any pro's and con's that you have experienced.

Easy setup. After the first time it only took about 15 minutes to set up and fill up. Spacy and water resistant.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/cbatson73/cabelascabin.jpg

thermocouple
02-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Nice looking tent Mirkwood. When our current family weekend camping dome tent craps out I will probably look at a cabin style tent like this one. Seems so much more spacious with the straight walls rather than the curved walls of typical dome tents.

mirkwood
02-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for adding the pic, I couldn't figure out how to do that.

thermocouple
02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for adding the pic, I couldn't figure out how to do that.
Start an account at a hosting site. I use www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com) it's free and simple. Upload a JPEG from your hard drive to your hosting site. The hosting site should give you a few options for linking to a given image. To have an image show up in a post as an actual image, and not a link to the image, select the [IMG] link option. This is how I do it, it's really easy.

DMGNUT
03-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Sometimes you're in the right place at the right time. I picked up a Montana Canvas 12x14 Wall Tent (originally sold at Cabellas for $1200, they may still carry them, but I don't know). I paid $400. It had been used 4 times. The guy had taken real good care of it and had even built a real nice (and sturdy) box for the poles to go in and bought indoor-outdoor carpet for it. It has 5' walls, a 9' center height, door, window, venting for stove pipe, etc.
This is 1 of 5 tents we have. Don't bother saying it, I already know, I'm a bit "off".
In my defense, two of the tents are small 2 man backpacking tents, that the boys and I use for Scout activities. One is a large 3 room tent we got at Target about 6 years ago (can't remember the brand) that has really held up well. Its been used literally dozens of times and is still like new. The last one is one of those that looks like the old traditional Sears and Roebuck pyramid tents, but has a big vestibule that opens to the back of the tent, and snugs down around the back of your SUV or a pickup with a camper shell. Really nice design.

Hey what happened to the edit button? I was just going to edit this post to add a couple of pics of the tent I mentioned paying $400 for... but I guess I have to quote it and redo the whole post. Anyways, here's a couple pics, the first one if from Cabela's when they were selling this tent, the second one is of the tent itself on a camping trip.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7504/walltentkr4.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7394/walltent2xl5.jpg

Just adding the pictures because, as they say, a picture's worth a thousand words.

mirkwood
03-08-2008, 04:01 PM
My buddy just called me from Cabela's, the tent I bought is currently on sale for $159 (reg. $239).

Laura
08-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Dmg...you're not crazy! :-)

We have a few tents like you too. My DH and boys are big scouters and well.....tents accumulate.

But the tent that has been in our family for over 14 years and is still like new even after years of real camping with kids and all is a Cabela's nylon tent. He said we paid about $450 for it then. it's been a great tent. We even took it to girls camp...and yes...it survived. I kind of felt like I betrayed it though...LOL

DMGNUT
08-03-2008, 09:54 PM
From Wordzee...
"Dmg...you're not crazy!"

I'll be sure and pass this along to my wife, thanks. :)

mirkwood
08-03-2008, 11:49 PM
From Wordzee...
"Dmg...you're not crazy!"

I'll be sure and pass this along to my wife, thanks. :)

*snort*