PDA

View Full Version : Food storage as necessary as boarding Noah's ark

arbilad
04-29-2016, 07:04 PM
This is an overall excellent talk, telling fathers that it is necessary for them, whenever possible, to provide for the family. But it also has the very excellent quote about food storage:

I ask you earnestly, have you provided for your family a year’s supply of food, clothing, and, where possible, fuel? The revelation to produce and store food may be as essential to our temporal welfare today as boarding the ark was to the people in the days of Noah.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1987/10/to-the-fathers-in-israel?lang=eng

DMGNUT
04-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Funny you should bring this up just now... the wife and I are reading the Book of Mormon again and this time using the "Book of Mormon Study Guide, Start to Finish", general editor, Thomas R. Valletta.
On page 638 its talking about 3 Nephi 4:1-6.
On a side note, we read this section just this evening when I got home from work.
After reading the above verses, the study guide asks the question, "How do we, like the Nephites, prepare for coming struggles?"
To answer its own question, the book quotes Ezra Taft Benson, from Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, with the following...

"For years we have been counseled to have on hand a year's supply of food. Yet there are some today who will not start storing until the Church comes out with a detailed monthly home storage program. We still cannot say we have not been warned. . . . The revelation to produce and store food may be as essential to our temporal welfare today, as boarding the ark was to the people in the days of Noah."

We were probably reading those words about the same time you posted this... ironic... or timely?

Poltax
04-30-2016, 07:18 PM
I made a post on another forum. Do not remember which one....the thread was on food storage ect. The thread had progressed to the point that some were questioning the need for items other then food. I made the comment that I have tried to store up tools, fuel, automotive parts, clothing, ect,ect, the list is actually endless. One individual came back and stated that "until the prophet says to store things other then food, I do not see the need". All I could think of the was "be not commanded in all things". Plus use your brain that the good Lord provided you and think forward a bit. I thought look at all that is going on in the world. You do not have to look very far to realize that other items would be kind of prudent to store up.

mirkwood
05-01-2016, 12:40 AM
There are several quotes that indicate the storage of items beyond food...and they are from apostles or prophets.

iggy
05-01-2016, 01:32 AM
When I reactivated back into the church, I was being taught the new member lessons by the Senior Missionaries assigned to my branch. While visiting their home, she made a comment about their getting a storage locker locally to put their emergency and food storage in because they had such a small house with no extra storage space at all. Then she said that she didn't know what they were going to do about storing fabric, sewing items, even a sewing machine because she was all feet when it came to sewing, knitting, crotchets, etc. I said why don't you figure out a barter system with those in the church or living near you who can and do sew? She is a fantastic baker. I suggested that she bake loaves of bread, cakes, cookies, pies in return for someone sewing her fabric into clothes for her and hubby.

I know from experience that thread and fabric have a limited shelf life. When my oldest sister passed on, she must have had enough fabric to clothe our entire family (we are all king and queen sizes) and there are 9 females, 7 males, for at least 5 years. Mostly flannels (outer & the softer stuff for nightgowns & pj's) to shirt, dress fabrics. No denims though. The three banker boxes of spools of thread contained 100% cotton and then the blends. Over half of them were bad. Rotten, disintegrating. The fabric in the boxes that were marked 1980-1998 were disintegrating too. Take the fabric in both hands, hold it up to the light and rub the fabric together - if you see lots of "dust" jerk your hands apart while still holding onto the fabric. We did this, and the "dusty" fabric shredded apart.

About the only thing she had that we didn't have to test were the buttons, and some of the fasteners. Why she didn't just make the projects she bought all the fabric for was beyond us. All of the bad fabric was purchased at garage sales, even she didn't know how old it was to begin with.

The local stores (Fred Meyers & Walmart) are now selling vegetable starts and vegetable seeds that are non-GMO. I have seeds from 1990 - just take 10 seeds, place them in some damp paper towels, mist the towels to keep them from drying out. Check them after whatever the germination time listed on the packet. Count how many of the ten seeds sprouted. If they all did, then plant away. If only half did, plant twice as many - because only half are going to sprout.

I keep my leftover seeds, in the packet and then vacuum seal them. Keeps them from absorbing moisture and getting eaten by bugs. The church even sells a #10 can of vegetable seeds to plant.

I agree with Poltax - not commanded in all things - also brought to mind Prophet Joseph Smith's -“I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves.” To me, this also means that by learning and using the correct principles, I will use good common sense when I govern myself.

IF I have to use my food storage because of a calamity rather than just temporary wallet crunch. Then there probably won't be food coming to a store near me, or clothes, or etc. So best get growing the food, and taking care of the clothes I have. Meaning patching, sewing up the tears & rips. Saving buttons, zippers, etc.

thomasusa
05-01-2016, 08:27 AM
... The church even sells a #10 can of vegetable seeds to plant...

Where did you see the Church selling seeds? I'd like to buy some.
I store seeds even though my garden is only about 10 by 10 feet.

iggy
05-02-2016, 04:15 AM
Where did you see the Church selling seeds? I'd like to buy some.
I store seeds even though my garden is only about 10 by 10 feet.

Can't find it anymore. But there is this from their provident living site: https://www.lds.org/topics/gardening?lang=eng&_r=1
Found this at BePrepared.com http://beprepared.com/catalogsearch/result/?dir=desc&limit=24&order=relevance&q=garden+seeds

Don't know where you live, here in Oregon I would get seeds, starts from territorial seed: http://www.territorialseed.com/ Think they ship seeds to pretty much anywhere.

mirkwood
05-02-2016, 11:27 AM
I have that one. I just bought two of these also:

http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Heirloom-Seeds-Long-Term-Emergency/dp/B00JUHTBA4?ie=UTF8&keywords=survival%20seed%20vault&qid=1462210033&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

iggy
05-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Because my growing season is short, and the area my rented lot that my double wide sits on is small, I prefer to pick and choose my seeds. Thus I will be purchasing them at the store by the packet and vacuum sealing them myself. The only person I know of in my little town who grows corn successfully does so when she grows the 4 rows by 8 stalks in her large greenhouse and then her uncle puts one of his bee hives in the center of them so the bees can pollinate them. She also has a fan gently blowing to help assists in the pollination. She has been growing Heirloom corn all her life. Her Grandma started it, and the seeds have been handed down to ALL in her humongous family.

When she visited me at my first little house as a single woman (after separation from hubs #1) she saw that I had cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets on my front mini porch. The next season she did the same, only hanging hers from the fence posts, porch, anywhere she could affix a hanger.

Was going to ask my landlord if I could plant a garden in one of the vacant lots across from me - but found out that there isn't enough soil on top of the 6" of hard pack gravel. Not worth the effort, and cost. Will stick to my planters.

arbilad
05-02-2016, 01:30 PM
DMG, totally coincidental. I had been looking up Ezra Taft Benson quotes on other subjects. But he used that phrase a few times.

DMGNUT
05-21-2016, 08:07 AM
I made a post on another forum. Do not remember which one....the thread was on food storage ect. The thread had progressed to the point that some were questioning the need for items other then food. I made the comment that I have tried to store up tools, fuel, automotive parts, clothing, ect,ect, the list is actually endless. One individual came back and stated that "until the prophet says to store things other then food, I do not see the need". All I could think of the was "be not commanded in all things". Plus use your brain that the good Lord provided you and think forward a bit. I thought look at all that is going on in the world. You do not have to look very far to realize that other items would be kind of prudent to store up.

Hey Poltax, Not only did Arbilad's first post cover this, but here's where he (Ezra Taft Benson) said pretty much the same thing at a different time...

"Not only should we have strong spiritual homes, but we should have strong temporal homes. We should avoid bondage by getting out of debt as soon as we can, pay as we go, and live within our incomes. There is wisdom in having on hand a year's supply of food, clothing, fuel (if possible), and in being preparing to defend our families and our possessions and to take care of ourselves. I believe a man should prepare for the worst, while working for the best."
Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 263-264

Here's another from Boyd K. Packer...
"Consider this comparison. In the welfare program we have been counseled for generations by the leaders of the Church to secure for ourselves a year’s supply of food and clothing, and if possible fuel, and to be concerned for our shelter. This is a responsibility laid upon the individual members of the church, upon each family. The commodities are to be stored at home. They are to be privately purchased, privately stored, and in time of crisis, privately used.
It is not ever suggested that because we have bishop’s storehouses there would be no need for individual families to maintain their year’s supply. The counsel for the individual to protect himself and his family has never been withdrawn. It has been continually emphasized."
Boyd K. Packer, “The Holy Temple”

Here's another from Ezra Taft Benson, where talks specifically about having reserves, or items in general, over cash...
"The Saints have been advised to pay their own way and maintain a cash reserve. Recent history has demonstrated that in difficult days it is reserves with intrinsic value that are of most worth, rather than [cash] reserves, the value of which may be destroyed through inflation."
Ezra Taft Benson, “Prepare Ye,” Ensign, Jan. 1974

DMGNUT
05-21-2016, 08:14 AM
Iggy, thank you for your comments on fabrics and threads, I had no idea that thread could go bad.
Which threads will last longer, and are there any that don't go bad at all?
I know nothing about sewing, but my Mom did teach me to mend tears and rips and that's what I had in mind when I started buying spools of cotton thread and packs of different sized needles.
My wife's Mom didn't sew at all, and so neither does my wife.

arbilad
05-21-2016, 12:43 PM
We're learning to card alpaca fiber and spin it into yarn. And we have our own supply of alpaca fur.

DMGNUT
05-21-2016, 02:07 PM
Once we can buy a house (and we'll have to see where we eventually end up)... but since we're hoping for something on the outskirts of town on an acre or two, with its own well... maybe we'll have to look into something like that.

Earthling
05-26-2016, 12:10 AM
I've been sewing since Jr. High and still have some fabric that is 40 years old. I have stored it in clean containers at room temps and it is perfectly fine to use. Thread can go rotten and so can fabric but usually it takes a long time unless stored in high heat, dirty conditions, etc.

iggy
05-26-2016, 12:53 AM
Iggy, thank you for your comments on fabrics and threads, I had no idea that thread could go bad.
Which threads will last longer, and are there any that don't go bad at all?
I know nothing about sewing, but my Mom did teach me to mend tears and rips and that's what I had in mind when I started buying spools of cotton thread and packs of different sized needles.
My wife's Mom didn't sew at all, and so neither does my wife. The thread was on wooden spools - so THAT is how old it was.

libertygranny
05-26-2016, 09:58 PM
I have wool fabric stored in a plastic storage container with cedar blocks. Its been in there for at least 20 years and is still fine...I check it every year. I also have about 16 storage containers with cotton fabrics and they are all fine. Some fabrics I've had for 20+ years. As for thread, I go through so much of it so fast for my business that it doesn't last long...but i do have lots and it is all good quality: Gutterman and Maxilock.

Earthling
05-26-2016, 11:20 PM
I bought a bunch of Maxilock thread in different colors on a hot sale several months ago in the large cone sizes - same cost as a regular spool with the sale. I'll never go through it but I've got it for when the SHTF and a color assortment for my newer machine that won't take my old cheap thread. Good to have some fabric, thread, sewing machine needles, basic supplies for when the SHTF. Few seem to know how to sew anymore - that will be an important skill.

DMGNUT
05-27-2016, 09:24 PM
I can mend a small tear or rip... but it tries my patience terribly :glare: and certainly doesn't qualify as, "knowing how to sew".

sunsinger
05-30-2016, 09:51 PM
Storing fabric and thread in the freezer can preserve them, but my freezer space is used for other things.

iggy
10-13-2018, 01:48 PM

Hey Poltax, Not only did Arbilad's first post cover this, but here's where he (Ezra Taft Benson) said pretty much the same thing at a different time...

"Not only should we have strong spiritual homes, but we should have strong temporal homes. We should avoid bondage by getting out of debt as soon as we can, pay as we go, and live within our incomes. There is wisdom in having on hand a year's supply of food, clothing, fuel (if possible), and in being preparing to defend our families and our possessions and to take care of ourselves. I believe a man should prepare for the worst, while working for the best."
Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 263-264

Here's another from Boyd K. Packer...
"Consider this comparison. In the welfare program we have been counseled for generations by the leaders of the Church to secure for ourselves a year’s supply of food and clothing, and if possible fuel, and to be concerned for our shelter. This is a responsibility laid upon the individual members of the church, upon each family. The commodities are to be stored at home. They are to be privately purchased, privately stored, and in time of crisis, privately used.
It is not ever suggested that because we have bishop’s storehouses there would be no need for individual families to maintain their year’s supply. The counsel for the individual to protect himself and his family has never been withdrawn. It has been continually emphasized."
Boyd K. Packer, “The Holy Temple”

Here's another from Ezra Taft Benson, where talks specifically about having reserves, or items in general, over cash...
"The Saints have been advised to pay their own way and maintain a cash reserve. Recent history has demonstrated that in difficult days it is reserves with intrinsic value that are of most worth, rather than [cash] reserves, the value of which may be destroyed through inflation."
Ezra Taft Benson, “Prepare Ye,” Ensign, Jan. 1974

Again, really old post - but since nothing new regarding Temporal & Spiritual Preparedness has been posted in Eons, thought I would hit the threads that actually did.

Thank you Poltax and DMGNUT for your posts, and the links to those talks. Want to clarify regarding my late sisters fabrics that rotted. She had bought them at garage/yard sales, so who knows how old they were The wood spools of thread had been in an old Mom & Pop Mercantile store that had been locked up with nearly full shelves and store room in back for nearly 45 years. A Great Grand Daughter inherited it, went in and decided to sell everything at the prices listed on each item. Wish I had been with my sister when she bought things from them, I would have spent my entire savings on buttons and needles. Also she stored them in cardboard boxes. Not sealed in anything. The fabric that was good we gave to our new SIL, she is a true "Molly Mormon", and I use that moniker with love.

DMGNUT
10-13-2018, 06:12 PM
Iggy, thanks for revisiting this thread.
Something that stood out to me from last week's Conference, more than I would have liked...
It's not uncommon to hear our Prophet or an Apostle speak about the return of Christ.
So maybe it's just me... but for the Prophet himself to mention that we need to be prepared for the return of Christ... not once, or twice, but 3 times in one Conference (Sat morning session, Women's session, and the Sunday afternoon session), seemed like he was putting real emphasis on that topic/event.
I know our Spiritual preparedness is of paramount importance, but as has already been pointed out in the above posts (from this thread), temporal preparedness will be of great importance as well.
Like I said, maybe it's just me, but was President Nelson's repetitive mentions of the Lord's return a hint (or perhaps something bolder than just a hint), that the Lord's return is more imminent then we might think?

Earthling
10-14-2018, 06:01 PM
DMG - it did seem like there was more open talk of the Second Coming. For a while it seemed it was avoided so as not to add to any hysteria. Now it's "we got to prepare for the Second Coming" because that is something coming up and it's not the distant future either. He who hath ears . . . I think there will be some event that will really trigger things so overnight our world will change. Just my opinion. It seems obvious with the program changes that the leadership is preparing us to function differently - so a ward could be more autonomous, we take care of each other, and families can teach the gospel totally at home if needed.

iggy
10-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Earthling, DMG - Hubby and I feel the same way. When I think about the talks - most especially those given by our Prophet - my heart flutters and my gut roils - I am scared. I didn't want be alive as a mortal to see the second coming.

We are not going to bug out of our home. We have food, we do need to get water and purification kits.

My heart breaks to know that out of 8 nieces and nephews, only 2 have remained in the church. Two who are single. The others have married in the temple, had children, and turned their backs on the gospel.

Hubby and I are going to make time to have FHE/Gospel study at home. I would like to do this about 1-2 hrs each day. Hubby wants me to be the substituted GD teacher and Branch Librarian too. We finally got an Assistant Librarian, yet she has NEVER made it to church when needed. Either Hubby had to do it, but he gets me to do it. I end up hurting about 10 minutes into GD class - because I have to stand in the Library for 25 minutes before Sacrament, then for the 10 minutes before GD class. THAT is 30 minutes TOO much. When I was Librarian, if I stayed home, the Library stayed locked! That is how it should be now. Oh Well, have been home since 1:40pm and I still hurt. At least not my sciatic nerves [right hip, bum, thigh, calf and foot] - no this time it is my neck & shoulder muscles and my lower back. Both feet have been shooting with neuropathy pains. Fun, fun, fun, - - - NOT

The only reason I haven't had Husband drive me to the ER for a shot of Super Duper Pain Killer is the OutOfPocketCost for it ~ 200.00$

When I was taking a nap Saturday evening, Hubby took a good look at the food in our cupboards. Have one in the dining room, and the "long term" foods in the cupboard in the Master Bedroom. Then he sat in front of our three freezers [smallish upright; 36" high by 36"wide & deep upright and the one that is part of our new side-by-side]. We have a lot of meat in there. BUT it is frozen and I really am not able to think ahead to pull some out for the next day.

He brought this all to my attention and late Saturday night [10:30pm] I pulled all the contents out of the side-by-side and checked each items condition. Then went and did the same with the other two. One needs defrosting BAD!!! Thank goodness I keep those styrofoam chests that contained the TurDunkHen his Good Brother sent us for three Christmas' in a row! BLEH hate that thing!!! I can put his frozen's in them while I defrost that thing. Will need two strong men to lift it off the stand it is on and place it out on the porch ramp. When it is cleaned up, the other one gets cleaned. The smallish/skinny upright is easy to move when it is empty of food. I can 'walk' it out the door onto the ramp.

The side-by-side freezer is a self-defrosting one. Just need to re-arrange the food in it.

I also need to open the #10 cans in the long term cupboard and re-package each into Iggy & Hubby size meal portions = vacuum sealing them. I think I also have to go through the kitchen pantry and really check out the cheesy & spag. sauces in glass jars. Think they have been in there with Sell/Best/Use by dates of 2014-2016.

I still really want to can my own meat rather than freezing it. BUT that is labor intensive- have to be on my feet longer than 5 minutes. Cannot put a stool up to my kitchen work counter either. Sure wish my kitchen had a central space where I could put a kitchen table to sit easily at to do my prep work. Can't be done.:sadley:

Enough ramblings from me.

DMGNUT
10-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Iggy, good on you for looking ahead with checking your stores of food.
If one has procrastinated in keeping tabs on their food stores and wanted to check-up on things... now is the time.
Earthling, your comment about, "leadership is preparing us to function differently - so a ward could be more autonomous", is eye opening...
I was out on visits with the Elder's Quorum President this evening and he mentioned that a letter just came from Church Headquarters stating that Elders Quorums can call new members of their Presidency within the ward now... a drastic change from previously needing to be called by the Stake Presidency.

KF7EEC
10-19-2018, 08:25 PM
Iggy, good on you for looking ahead with checking your stores of food.
If one has procrastinated in keeping tabs on their food stores and wanted to check-up on things... now is the time.
Earthling, your comment about, "leadership is preparing us to function differently - so a ward could be more autonomous", is eye opening...
I was out on visits with the Elder's Quorum President this evening and he mentioned that a letter just came from Church Headquarters stating that Elders Quorums can call new members of their Presidency within the ward now... a drastic change from previously needing to be called by the Stake Presidency.
I haven't seen that letter. I may not have access to it as my current calling has access to lots less than my old one. The only recent thing I'm seeing about Elders Quorum is this - https://www.lds.org/letters?clang=eng&id=16501&lang=eng&source=4&inline=true and this https://www.lds.org/letters?clang=eng&id=16495&lang=eng&source=4&inline=true

DMGNUT
10-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Both of those give me an error code, so I have to assume I don't have access.
And for what it's worth, as the WML, I haven't seen any letter from the church leadership... all I know of, is what's been mentioned in passing.

iggy
10-20-2018, 12:22 AM
I read it in a letter sent to me. I am a Branch Temple & Family History Consultant, and Hubby got a different letter as Branch Sunday School President.

The EQP as well as the RSP, as of Jan 2019 will be in charge of the T&FH people, IF they deem it necessary, a Mission Leader will be called over the T&FHC.

Because our Branch President has been in *office* since 2013, we have a *hunch* that he will be released come the new year. Hubby has been in his calling since 2011 and he is hoping he will be released as well. When it comes to the Teacher's Council, he is so very tired of beating his head against a brick wall.

DMG~ as WML: have you been involved with the T&FHC? We were urged by our Stake T&FH leaders to involve the ML and the Senior Missionaries. For them to plant the seed of Family History work among the inactives, and for us to plant that seed among the teens and the youth. We were told that about three months ago. Only ONE person took to it, a 15 year old young man. He is the quietest, shyest kid in the Branch. He also tends to be a bully around the primary boys. But when we presented Family History to the youth, he was on the edge of his seat, listening attentively and he was writing questions to me which I wrote back the answers.

I have asked our T&FHLead if she followed up with him, that was 3 months ago. Still have not heard from her. I am ashamed that I haven't followed up with him. Guess I had better do it. At least I can call his Mom and ask if he has opened his own Family Search account yet, and if he/they would like any help in navigating the new format.

I wasn't active when the church went to the 3 hour format. What was the general consensus then? When I came back into activity back in 1998 and found out about the 3 hour block, I nearly jumped for joy. I absolutely hated the twice on Sunday going to church. First in the morning, then again at night. My poor Dad had to leave the house on Sunday night by 8:30 pm so he could get to work on time. Taking us kids to church in the morning, then picking us up about an hour or so later, then taking us again at night and coming to get us an hour or so later. The cost of the gas was a drain on their very limited budget too.

By the time I was 15 - I was working after school (noon for me) at an 8 hour job. After paying my tithe I took 10% for myself and gave my Mom the rest of the money to do with as she & Dad saw fit. It really wasn't all that much - but it paid the water/sewer/garbage bill AND put gas in the car. I had three older siblings that were all working AND living at home too. Not one of them paid any money to Mom & Dad.

I am eager to see how the new 2 hour block will be like. This will be easier on me as concerns my medications. Right now, by the time I get home, my glucose levels are either really high because my liver dumped insulin into my system, or they are close to bottoming out. Either way, I am blurry eyed, shaky and over heated. Getting home an hour earlier puts me right on track to when I need to eat.

DMGNUT
10-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Lots of talk in our ward concerning involving the youth with T&FH work, but we have so many inactives to visit, there was never any mention in Ward Council of the WML getting involved too.
Planting the seed for T&FH work among inactives would be great (although personally, I doubt it would accomplish much), and hopefully they don't do what you mentioned, as calling a computer illiterate person like myself to try and head that charge would suck...
It's all the wife and I can do to try and get our own family's work done.
We don't have generations of ancestors who have been doing this work so that we can just look for the names that were missed here and there.
As first generation converts, it all falls to us, and with me being (as previously mentioned) completely computer illiterate, its slow going.

iggy
10-21-2018, 02:27 AM
You would be surprised to know that I once thought that my family would be swamped with genealogy work because we thought we were the first to join the church. What a surprise we had! No, we weren't the first.

Just like the BIC members who claim that all of their work is done. Hah - famous last words!

The more I go online to Family Search and double check the ancestors I finally have documented proof on (marriage, death, birth, etc.) I discover that their work has been done. Then I check who has been entering info and learn of *cousins* I never knew existed.

If these *cousins* enter an email address, I write to them. The latest one is a married into the family cousin. His FIL is from Canada and has been a member of the church since he was a lad. His mother joined, and then he was baptized when he was 8. Aha! This FIL is one of my distant Canadian cousins. I have yet to write to him, because I was looking high and low for the letter from my atheist cousin on Mom's side of the family who located the Canadian cousins. I wanted names, etc. to ask about. Plus, for some reason known only to Father - I never added that info into my genealogy data base.

Many, many decades ago I joined two surname rootsweb lists. I had entered one of my ancestors surnames into the search engine (before google) and after spending an hour of clicking and reading, finally came upon the rootsweb list. I wrote to them giving them my genealogy (Mom is daughter of, who is the son of, who is the son etc., etc.) and I hit the mother lode. The web site is the Elkennah-McKay Family. Then the other one is the Sackett's of the USA. The rootsweb list is defunct now - BUT like I said they now have a web site, and they all have their email address's listed. Had to ask to be entered again - as my old email was no longer valid.

Contact your T&FH Consultant and have him/her come over to your house to help you with your online/computer experience. That is their calling, and for a lot of us with this calling, it is also our passion.

DMGNUT
10-21-2018, 09:49 PM
Cool beans and thanks... we're actually on a list (and not too far down) to be visited by the T&FH youth workers in our ward. :smile5:

iggy
10-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Cool beans and thanks... we're actually on a list (and not too far down) to be visited by the T&FH youth workers in our ward. :smile5:

When you respond with "Cool Beans" it always brings a smile into my day DMGNUT. When I was 8-18, my oldest [8 yrs older than me] brothers best friend (whom I had a DEEP crush on & who lived in the house on the corner from us) always said that as he ruffled my hair. For YEARS I thought that was my nickname! :) The nickname my family had given me was Chili Bean. AND not because I liked chili - it was because I hated chili! Take out the chili seasoning, the beans add ground beef and serve on top of toast!

Going through my FB this is the second thing that popped up, and I felt it was apropos to this conversation. https://www.familysearch.org/blog/en/temple-ordinances-familysearch/?fbclid=IwAR0GLSsemd7DkjGukrM6xVTTDRS4F_178GWPMhBz Zs56QMJUdmrggEgqh00

Yep, I am just a wee bit passionate about genealogy. Decades ago the passion was to find the names/data and get it down & then find the documents to back up the data and INSURE they were really my ancestors. Now the passion is to gather the stories about those ancestors - and to do that I must find the living relatives who have the stories either from *family lore*, letters, journals, etc.

Wish I lived in your Ward boundaries - then I could help you become more familiar with your online experiences, FamilySearch [gathering your names, etc.] and your computer. It took me crashing 4 computers - the last two I actually wiped out the DOS and had to have my poor totally empty machines brought back to life. The first two times I was fortunate that I had all the start up disc's for the programs I wanted. PAF, Word, Office, ETC., and the out of pocket expense was just $40.00 each time. But the last two I had lost their owners everything in house moves, the out of pocket expense came to $100.00. Still only one third the cost of a new computer.

So - as long as your don't go into File Manager or Control Panel-Programs and start uninstalling things, AND you have a good Firewall -& AntiVirus program running - you really can't harm your computer.

Hubby's son is a total computer geek/guru. Every time he visits, he cleans out his Pop's computers (yep, the husband has 4 of them along with our two laptops) and then he does mine. Mine only takes him about an hour. BUT it takes him two days to do his Pop's. This time though - Hubby has only used one PC and hasn't touched his laptop since the last visit by son.

I have two bankers boxes of Husbands pictures, letters and a few documents we salvaged from his mothers wreck of a house [youngest brother aka Bad Brother, trashed Mom's home in search of *stuff* to sell to support his drug addiction] to scan into my computer & then upload to FamilySearch AND Ancestry. Then I will need to go through Hubby's address book and write to his living cousins to get their updated data & glean the family lore from them. He was supposed to do it, but so far - it's been 10 years - he hasn't. His next youngest brother has been waiting for us to send him the data as has his son. So - once Son makes his annual visit and tosses all the old, useless paperwork/junk/electronic garbage that his father has been hanging on to for the past 30 years - and we get his solid oak Man Desk moved to where it allows more workable space in the Den - THAT scanning - uploading - and sharing of data just isn't going to happen.

DMGNUT
10-22-2018, 10:51 PM
Glad I could be of service, with the "cool beans".
And I too wish there where someone closer to my age group in our ward... I know these youngsters know everything there is to know about computers, but sometimes stuff gets lost in translation when they try to share that knowledge.
Just saying. :blink:

Burn
10-29-2018, 07:34 PM
I have ammo put up.... so I can take all your guyses stuff!

I am just kidding, I know many of you would be able to fight me off. Plus, if I do that I'm depending on you guys to store chocolate! No... I must do this myself.