PDA

View Full Version : Food for the 72Hour/Bugout/Patrol BAG

signseeker
07-02-2016, 10:41 AM
I guess I'll put this in Food Storage, cuz it has to do with food.

What food are you all putting into your 72Hour - Bug-out - Get home - Patrol - Bags? How often do you go through them and rotate the food out?

Recently I was at a surplus type store in the West Valley area and I got bags of chopped up veggies - onions, bell peppers, cabbage, carrots.... I brought them home and dehydrated them and keep the mix in containers. I thought this could be a good option for the Patrol bags - along with a thermos and a pinch of bullion flavoring and a thermos. If troops or whoever are coming by your location, you take your thermos, dehydrated mix (which weighs next to nothing) and you can boil some water, add it to the thermos, put the fire out and be gone from the area while your soup cooks over the next several hours. You could also use the dehydrated veggies for soups, casseroles, anything back at your more permanent location. (Each bag, about the size of a large potato chip bag was $2)

arbilad
07-02-2016, 03:02 PM
I have an MRE and a coast guard lemon flavored survival bar in my get home bag. As well as some granola bars.

DMGNUT
07-02-2016, 05:54 PM
I keep; 5 MRE main courses, 5 MRE snacks, 5 MRE deserts, and 10 Coast Guard approved survival bars, in my 72 Hr Kit.
This will last 5 days (or up to 10 if rationing just a little).
Signseeker.... you will definitely enjoy your meals more than I will, but I intentionally set my bag up so I would never have to light a fire, in order to heat anything... having said that, if I thought I needed to, I could always toss a few of the new MRE heaters in (they're based solely on chemical reaction... not heating by fire, etc).
And since we're talking about "consumables", I carry 5 full, 1 liter water bottles, and a water filtration water bottle, that will filter up to 100 more gallons of water, even if its poor quality (and a couple coffee filters to pre-filter the water I put in my water filter bottle, so it'll last even longer.

And since I always turn every topic to firearms (and I don't want to disappoint anyone).
I carry a handgun (Glock) with 5 spare magazines, +1 in the gun (at 15 rnds each, that's 90 rnds)
And a battle rifle (AR-15) with 5 spare magazines, +1 in the rifle (at 30 rnds each, that's 180 rnds)
...which I figure should push me through any zombie horde and back to my camp. :cool (2):

That's just a tiny bit of what's in my 72 Hr Kit, which weighs in at 39# (with the full water bottles... but does not include the 2 firearms and ammo).

DMGNUT
07-02-2016, 05:56 PM
PS... My Coast Guard approved survival bars are coconut cookie flavored (and they are designed not to elicit a thirst response).

Notice I used the word "elicit" instead of "trigger" in regards to the thirst response, so as not to over-do the gun analogies... I'm so thoughtful that way.

Man I crack myself up. :l0 (49):

signseeker
07-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Yeah, lighting a fire.... maybe not such a good idea. I was specifically thinking of say holing up in the hills above my town, out of site, and making a quick fire during the day (unseen?) to boil some water and make the soup... blah blah.... yeah, it's probably waaaay more than I should be thinking about. I was picturing just disappearing with some binoculars with the immediate family or whatever and waiting things out till we come back down. Yes, having a water filter, too....

I guess I need to check out the Coast Guard survival bars! I'm pretty near-sighted, so I'm not real confident with guns unless the jackass is right on me.:l0 (39):

mirkwood
07-02-2016, 11:38 PM
At work I carry two 3600 calorie bars, two FD hiking pouches and a whole bunch of MRE's. I could last a week very easily. All this is contained in a backpack and some in a duffel bag that was issued to me.

Earthling
07-02-2016, 11:50 PM
I don't put food in my Bug Out stuff. I do keep a car emergency bag that has water, survival bars, & granola bars (these get used & rotated if I'm hungry & can't eat for some reason). The stuff I used to put in there like peanut butter, crackers, etc. would go bad too quickly as I can't seem to rotate them out like I should. I don't want anything that has to be cooked. So I have the basic supplies and a list of things to add to it depending on time available, scenario, etc. This way I can add fresh food and even more stuff depending on time available to add it, if I can carry more (am I on foot or car?), what the scenario is, etc. I mean if I was leaving short term vs. not know if/when I'd return there would be a difference in what I'd take. I've posted a written list of things to add right by my garage door since your brain freezes in an emergency. That way other family members can help pack.

DMGNUT
07-03-2016, 01:33 AM
The thing with MREs and the Coast Guard approved bars are...
Coast Guard approved bars have a 5 year shelf life regardless of storage conditions, come in an assortment of calorie sizes (1,200 calories, 2,400 calories, or 3,600 calories), are flavored, and I was being serious earlier, are designed not to elicit a thirst response. The more common brand names are; S.O.S., Mainstay, and Datrex. There are others now as well, but they are all new to the game. Millennium is probably the only other brand name I'd consider... slightly shorter shelf life, but a much larger assortment of flavors (for variety).
For the MREs, as the old saying goes, why reinvent the wheel? These have been designed and redesigned many times over the years to be (as the name implies), ready to eat, and more importantly, to provide maximum caloric intake for a body under stress and expending more energy than normal. One complete meal provides the necessary calories for a body, for one full day. They're easy to eat "on the go", if making distance is important (you're pursuing someone, or they're pursuing you).

DMGNUT
07-03-2016, 01:37 AM
I'm pretty near-sighted, so I'm not real confident with guns unless the jackass is right on me.:l0 (39):

In my opinion they're too close if you're using a shot gun... but you don't have be all that accurate with it either... :001_cool: just saying.

Earthling... sometimes, there just isn't time to pack (the bag needs to be ready at a moments notice), and the thing about Bug-out-bags, is everyone must have their own (in case of the group getting split up, intentionally, or unintentionally)... so there won't really be any "having others help"... if the bags aren't ready, and time is a factor, everyone will be prepping their own bag.

Although it hasn't been mentioned before (in this thread), every bag should have all the same "basic" provisions.
There will be differences... Mirk is gona have more ammo then others might want, a medical person will probably want a bigger first aid kit, women will need some "hygiene items", that I won't have, etc, etc. But food, water, sleeping bag, etc... will be in everyone's kit.

Heck, I know its already on here somewhere, but I'm gona repost what we have in our bags... mind you, without hearing the "presentation", there is a lot of important information that those who aren't familiar with these are missing out on, but the list is a very good start.

DMGNUT
07-03-2016, 01:56 AM
Grab and Go Bags
(updated: 10/14)

These bags are not meant for luxury, but rather basic survival and protection. However, you should add whatever you find to be necessary, depending on your circumstances. Remember though, adhering to the basics is important, so as to keep the weight down, enabling you to carry it for extended distances if necessary. Many of the examples of Grab and Go Bags you might have seen using, 5 gallon buckets, suit cases, plastic bins, etc, are poor choices. Your bag should be a medium or larger back pack (with a waist belt), which allows you to carry the weight with your legs and shoulders, enabling your hands to remain free for other purposes. With the exception of a few items, it is important to note that all the Grab and Go Bags in your family (or group, if working in conjunction with others) should include as near to the same basic items as possible, so everyone has what they need, independent of each other, in the event your group or family becomes separated.

Back Pack (with or without water bladder)
Katadyn (or equivalent) Water Filter Bottle (1)
Coffee filters (3, in ziplock bag)
Water Bottles (.5 liter) (5)
MREs (5 main courses, 5 side dishes, 5 desserts, 5 snacks)
Survival Bars (10)
Spoon (1)
P-38/51 (just in case)
First Aid Kit (a bit more than band-aids and moleskin)
Blow-Out Kit (for trauma wounds)
Tinder Kit (Blast match, lighter, 80 water proof matches, 4 candles, Vaseline/cotton balls)
LED Camp Flashlight (1, w/spare batteries)
LED Mini Flashlight (1, w/spare battery)
Binoculars (1 pair, small backpack size)
Compass (1)
Maps (city and state)
Radio (HAM/FRS/GMRS)
Signal Mirror (1)
Howler Whistle (1, this is the loudest whistle currently made)
Tent (1)
Sleeping Bag (1)
Poncho (1, military style)
Plastic Bags (2 large trash bags and 4 gallon sized zip lock bags)
Belt Knife (1)
Pocket Knife (1)
Multi Purpose Tool (1)
Leather Gloves (1 pair)
Para Cord (20 yards)
Duct Tape (4 yards, approx)
Clothing and Hat (1 complete set)
Sun Screen (1 tube)
Insect Repellant (1 tube)
AK or AR variant rifle w/sling and 5 spare mags
Glock (or equivalent pistol) w/holster and 5 spare mags
Weapon Style Flashlight (1, w/spare batteries)
Wet Wipes (1, small travel sized pouch)
Tooth Brush (1)
Toilet Paper (enough)
Cash (enough)
Marker (1)
Last Minute List (prescription meds, baby formula, important documents, flash drive, etc)
Feminine Products (enough, in wife's bag only)

With the exception of the last item, all of my family’s bags are the same. There’s a little less water in these packs than I'd like, to help keep the weight down, but the filtration water bottle can filter up to 100 gallons of water, allowing you to keep your water bottles topped off for quite some time if necessary. As per the above list, our kits weigh about 38 to 39 lbs (not including weapons and ammo).

PS. Attach a laminated card with the name of whose bag it is (under the lamination), and you can write on the lamination with a grease pencil to reminder you of what still needs to go in the bag. Remember everyone's is slightly different, and the list on each separate bag may change from time to time (meds you might currently be on that are in the frig, some item you took out for a camping trip, but please try not to do that, etc).

mirkwood
07-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Mirk is gona have more ammo then others might want,

Why you gotta lay me out like that?

DMGNUT
07-03-2016, 12:36 PM
Purely speculation Mirk... didn't mean to imply that you're "trigger happy"... as the saying goes.

But if the shoe fits... :a0 (29):

signseeker
07-03-2016, 05:44 PM
So... a few of these things I'm not sure what they are...??... so I'll just ask. I realize I could Google them, but what if the NSA's watching?! :001_ssuprised:

FD Hiking Pouch
P-38/51
Weapon style flashlight (And I guess I'm not sure about the difference between a camp flashlight and a mini flashlight while we're at it.)

Also wondering - the purpose of the garbage bags and zippy bags?

mirkwood
07-03-2016, 11:51 PM
So... a few of these things I'm not sure what they are...??... so I'll just ask. I realize I could Google them, but what if the NSA's watching?! :001_ssuprised:

FD Hiking Pouch
P-38/51
Weapon style flashlight (And I guess I'm not sure about the difference between a camp flashlight and a mini flashlight while we're at it.)

You're gonna have to click the linkie...

FD hiking pouch
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57301316&bingpla=bingpla_20575566

DMGNUT
07-04-2016, 02:53 AM

FD Hiking Pouch
P-38/51

P38/51 = small military style can opener... P38 being the original one, P51 being a slightly larger version of the same thing, either one is small enough to fit on your key chain.
flashlights = mini flashlight (one that's small enough to fit on your key chain, often available in red or white light, usually uses watch sized battery), camp flashlight (one that could really be almost any size, but generally speaking is smaller and uses double or triple A batteries, often with interchangeable lens to change the light to an assortment of colors, red being universally accepted as the color that is not as visible from far away, and that will save your night vision), and lastly weapon style flashlight (often the same size as a camp flashlight, but made from aluminum, with crenelations around the lens so it can be used with good effect to strike someone in the head or face, has on/off switch at base or bottom of light, instead of on the side like a traditional light... specifically designed to be held and used with one hand, while holding a pistol in the other hand).

Wish I had better computer skills, and I'd post some pics to illustrate.

Plastic bags = If you camp enough, you always end up getting caught in the rain, and the bags are nothing more than for helping to keep things dry.
They don't add much weight at all... the trash bags being mostly for your back pack and/or sleeping roll, and the gallon zip lock bags are for your radio, maps, toilet paper, or other smaller items that really need to stay dry. Water proof or water "resistant" back packs are great, but generally don't cut it, in a heavy rain, especially if you have to keep moving.

Hope that helps a little.

DMGNUT
07-04-2016, 03:00 AM
PS. The NSA is watching.

mirkwood
07-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Bah...don't buy into her NSA comments, it is her excuse for being google lazy.

DMGNUT
07-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Bah...don't buy into her NSA comments, it is her excuse for being google lazy.

But they are watching... :willy_nilly:
I just don't care. :wink (2):

signseeker
07-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Hey! I'm not Google lazy! Is that even a thing....? I didn't know they had a name for it.... :confused1:

Anyway, I use Google and Youtube plenty. I just know you know this off the top of your head, so you should just tell me and quit whining. :d0 (34):

Sheesh... you click on some link, who knows what could happen?! (I can't believe I have to teach you this, Mirk. :rolleyes5: )

signseeker
07-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Whoa, crenelations... slow down, dude! What are those? Ha- "What are those?" Nevermind....

The flashlight explanation was great! Thanks. So.... red light? To save your night vision? What's that mean? Helps your eyes at night? Don't you have night vision binoculars and stuff?

And I had NO idea that can openers came small enough to fit on your keychain! That's way cool. But no one's taking canned food in their bags, it seems like..... hmm.

Good ideas for the baggies, too.

Anyone have any laser tools or thingys they use for stuff...? I read they used laser weapons on some pilots back in WWII (?) and it would instantly blind them... anyone heard of that or think there might be some use for lasers?

signseeker
07-04-2016, 03:33 PM
So an FD hiking pouch is a Freeze-Dried dinner. Why don't you call it a Freeze-Dried Dinner? Or a FD dinner? Or even an FDD? :l0 (51): Hiking pouch? Pouch? What a weird... Freeze-dried kangaroo style dinner. For hiking. Made in Australia. Mate.

And dang, they're like 10 bucks a pop. They better last like 25 years at that price.

DMGNUT
07-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Whoa, crenelations... slow down, dude! What are those? Ha- "What are those?" Nevermind....

The flashlight explanation was great! Thanks. So.... red light? To save your night vision? What's that mean? Helps your eyes at night? Don't you have night vision binoculars and stuff?

And I had NO idea that can openers came small enough to fit on your keychain! That's way cool. But no one's taking canned food in their bags, it seems like..... hmm.

Good ideas for the baggies, too.

Anyone have any laser tools or thingys they use for stuff...? I read they used laser weapons on some pilots back in WWII (?) and it would instantly blind them... anyone heard of that or think there might be some use for lasers?

Crenelations = sharp pointy edges... :coool:

Night vision is way expensive (for the good stuff), so once yours eyes adjust to the dark, its best to try and keep them adjusted to the dark. If you need to stop and chk one of the maps at night, the red light not only really helps to keep your eyes adjusted to the dark, its far less likely that someone you don't want to see you using a flashlight at night will see it, if its a red light (definitely still shade the light though). By the way... good night vision equipment is on my list, but a little farther down than I've gotten to yet.

You're correct that no one should be carrying heavy canned goods in their 72 Hr Kit, but if something goes even more wrong than it already has (that you're using the 72 Hr Kit to begin with), you might just need more food, and finding some canned goods is the most probable safe food you'll find... and then, having a can opener handy would be pretty nice... in an end-time scenario, you can't afford to cut your hand open trying to get into some canned soup with a great big sheaf knife. There won't be any urgent care units to step into for stitches and antibiotics.

I hate to suggest googling anything, but it would give you a nice pic and even videos on what the P-38/P-51 looks like, and how its used.

Lasers are a double edged sword... if there's more than one bad guy, it draws a line straight back to you, for the other bad guys to shoot at. Bad mojo. :coool:

signseeker
07-06-2016, 10:04 AM
I never knew about those can openers! :l0 (3):

And I think I've seen the FD food pouches at my Walmart. Maybe we'll have to try them out for dinner one of these nights... sample night... :)

mirkwood
07-06-2016, 11:57 PM
Yep, Wal Mart has them. Avoid the eggs (breakfasts)...too salty to consume.

ghostcat
07-06-2016, 11:59 PM
No lasers were used in WW2 as the laser had not been invented yet, the first was a gas laser invented in 1960. The lights that were used to blind pilots were search lights The temporary blinding of pilots was a secondary effect as the primary purpose of the search light was to illuminate the aircraft for the anti aircraft gunners to more easily target them.

The p38 and p51 can openers were developed in 1942 by the U.S. military to allow servicemen to open their individual field rations and kitchen rations since all of the U.S. rations were in metal cans at the time, the one exception to that was the "A" ration which was fresh food stuffs. The name p38 is believed to come from the fact that it took 38 punches from the opener to completely remove the lid from the standard diameter individual ration can, the larger p51 took 51 punches to remove the top from the "B" ration can. The smaller p38 came in the individual field rations issued to the troops. One p38 was contained in each individual "C" ration or "K" ration box. If the supply train was working properly each troop would receive three full meals a day, two of which were typically in the form of one of the individual rations, the military tried hard to provide a hot meal cooked in a field kitchen for at least one of the three meals. The larger p51 was included in each box of "B" rations to be used by the cooks in the field kitchens. Each box of "B" rations was typically a cardboard box which contained six #10 cans which allowed the cooks to cook rations in bulk. It was common during WW2, Korea, and Vietnam for individual servicemen to carry a p38 can opener on their dog tag chain around their neck so that they would always have a can opener if needed. I remember when my brother came back from Vietnam that he had a p38 on his dog tag chain. As an interesting note, troops in Vietnam were still eating rations canned in WW2.

arbilad
07-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Laser was originally an acronym that stood for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation.

DMGNUT
07-08-2016, 11:45 PM
You guys rock with the historical facts!

DMGNUT
09-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Speaking of lasers, yes I have several, but I only use them when doing an astronomy lesson for youth (merit badge, something for girls camp, etc) or if having friends over for an "astronomy night" (which is most often accompanied with a huge vat of home made chili).

I can't wait to have access to my telescopes again...
mmm, chili (say this in your best Homer Simpson voice).

DMGNUT
12-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Reviving an old thread... well, slightly old.
Lots of good info and good questions.

Burn
12-14-2016, 06:52 PM
FD all the way! ...or FDD ...or Aussie meals... Anyway I like the shelf life and the weight. I know, they require some water. I like their taste over MRE's although lately I've tasted some MRE's that were good. I still don't like their weight and shelf life. I guess I ate them too much in the military. C Rats too, anyone remember those?

DMGNUT
12-14-2016, 08:45 PM
I've seen them and remember them... but have never had to eat one. :leaving:

Burn
06-26-2017, 07:29 PM
I forgot I replied to this. I was actually going to say about the same thing I said above... so, see above!

DMGNUT
07-01-2017, 09:44 AM
We really ought to try and keep this thread going.
Sign started it out with some really good questions and I'm sure there are others who have questions as well.
By the way Burn, I like your burning bush pic.