PDA

View Full Version : Shamed...

DMGNUT
03-16-2019, 09:14 PM
So, my 93 year old neighbor asked me over a little while ago to help him setup his new 100 gallon water storage tank in his garage. He already has 1 of these, so this is his second 100 gallon water storage tank.
Wow... at 93, he's still adding to his temporal preparedness.
I thought when I moved to Idaho, I could put some things on the back burner (so to speak)... after all, there's literally water everywhere up here... but what a great way for the Lord to show me (or remind me) that some things shouldn't ever be put on the back burner.
So, it might be a couple months before I can get to it, but I need to pressure wash my 55 gallon drums and get them setup again (they're currently sitting empty in the back yard, just getting more and more nasty).
I have 5 stands for the drums, each of which holds 2 of the 55 gallon drums (horizontally), and I've already made room for, and setup 3 of those 5 stands in the garage.
It's really all I have room for in the garage, so I'll be putting the other 2 stands in the storage room out back... I guess time will tell if those 2 stands (which hold 4 drums) will be sheltered enough from the cold (being in a closed storage room) to keep from freezing to the point of bursting the seams of the drums.

This is also motivating me to finish other projects (which I've been too lazy/busy to get to)... like putting my 34' Ham Radio antenna up.

This site has been really dead for sometime now... so I must ask... is everyone just too busy to post, or since the church doesn't talk about preparedness much anymore, have people set temporal preparedness (as a whole, or even partially) on the back burner?

Just wondering, because when your 93 year old next door neighbor (who is a current Sealer in the Temple, was a Patriarch on two different couples missions (both in Africa), a past Mission President, a past Temple President and a past 70) asks for help because he needs more water storage... it makes you wonder... what more you might need...
Just saying.

And even though this is about water storage/preps... I probably would've put it here anyway, because since the site is so slow here lately, I'm kind of curious who will even find this post... :l0 (51)::l0 (51)::l0 (51):

iggy
03-16-2019, 11:07 PM
Shortly after we moved to the Oregon coast we purchased three 55 gallon drums for $10.00 each. The member we bought them from got them from Russian fish processing ships. They had once held vodka, gin, & whiskey. The Russians had no desire to clean them up and refill them, and this member would motor out and collect them, take them to his 15 acres, clean them up and sell them. They sat in the back of Husbands pickup for three years, then finally when the Young Men (8 boys, w/their Leaders AND the Branch Presidency) came over to clean up around our house -wind damage from the neighboring trees that landed in our little lot, I had the men remove them from the truck, empty them of the collected rainwater and place them outside of our shed.

It has now been 4 years and they are still there, lined up outside of the shed. They need emptying again. AND cleaning. The interior of the shed HAS to be purged of the junk that was left by the people we bought the house from. Husband's model airplane that has not been airborne since 1978! Don't even know where the motor and controls even are.

Over the years my health has deteriorated, Husband has continued to gain weight (is now around 472 pounds, and only has limited mobility) I had such great plans for that shed. It has it's own power fuse box the walls need insulation and then rather than sheetrock I wanted to put up peg board, yes I know that the insulation needs to be super duper!

So, DMGNUT ~ the stands for your 55-gallon drums, what are they made of - look like? We live 3/4 of a mile from a river - but the access to it is dangerous mud flats. I wanted to get rain barrels and put them under all of the downspouts, but my landowner via his BullyBoy said absolutely NOT. When I asked for that answer in writing it never happened. Those barrels are not cheap - and I don't want to get 5 of them and then have the Scrooge hit me with court papers.

I even bought heavy duty plastic shelving (can hold up to 750 pounds) to replace the 'El Cheapo metal ones that were left by the previous owner. Each year I miss the collection date to get rid of all of the paint & stains left by the previous owner. I keep thinking that this year will be the year I get it all taken to the Transfer Station.

This site has been really dead for sometime now... so I must ask... is everyone just too busy to post, or since the church doesn't talk about preparedness much anymore, have people set temporal preparedness (as a whole, or even partially) on the back burner?

My Branch seldom if ever "talks" about preparedness. Not now, not in the past. Back in 2014 when I was co-RS Evening Meeting Coordinator, it was my job to provide 'light' snacks for after the meeting. I tried to keep the food to the same theme as the lesson topic. The RS Pres wanted Salads this one time. Well, all of the iceburg lettuce was old and bitter and super expensive. The leafy greens were okay - but she didn't think they were salad material. This particular meeting I had been assigned to discuss grains and ways to bake with them.

Ho Hum, this topic had been Done To Death in our Branch for the past 30 years. I had just started sprouting seeds, beans and grains - so my co 'conspirator' and I went our own way. She discussed using fresh herbs that you can grow in pots in your home, in oils and butter, and I sprouted every seed, bean, and grain available. I made a soup out of sprouts, totally gluten-free and all vegetarian. I had a booklet made up of all the seeds, beans, grains that are sproutable, what they look like dry, their nutrional values sprouted and a section on how to sprout them.

That one evening meeting spurred interest for about 3 months. When the majority of the sisters found that they had to go to three different sources to get the materials that was two too many. I had already done the leg work, found the best buy for their buck. They would need to order the sprouting trays online, but the seeds were available locally. At an organic food co-opt four towns -45 miles from here.

I was more than willing to go to the co-op, purchase the seeds by the bag (15-25 pound bags), then divide them up at the church, weighing & repackaging with my vacuum sealer. If we bought by the bag that the store gets from the supplier, AND we pay by check or cash (NOT debit or credit card), they would sell to us at 10% above their cost. BUT I wanted the Sisters orders AND the cash up front before I went and got it. I wouldn't take any orders until they showed me their shipping order when they received their sprouting trays. Well, that never happened.

What truly surprised me was my own Husband. This man who when asked to make a list of the canned, frozen and fresh vegetables he likes to eat wrote down:~ ~ drum roll please ~ ~ creamed corn, corn on the cob, corn & peas. Starch, starch, carbohydrates, and more starch! I didn't tell him what was in the salad that I fixed for my co-conspirator, her husband the 2nd Councelor in the Branch Presidency and ourselves as a prelude to the evening meeting. Leafy greens, sprouts, sprouts, more sprouts, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, and even more sprouts. She provided homemade soft bread sticks made with fresh herbs (she grows a plethora of herbs in pots around the outside and inside of her home, three different savory herb butters. I got carried away and made enough for about 12 people, we ate it all. the Husbands kept asking for more. Then when the lettuce was gone, but the sprouts weren't they ate just the sprouts.

Now, I never told him that those sprouts were also considered vegetables. We just call them those leafy green, crunchy things. Just like we call croutons- Flavored Woodies. You know, those things that go on top of salads, look like squared wood chips - Aha, Woodies! :l0 (51):

Since then, I went sprout crazy for about two years, then my diabeties got the better of me AND that led to the fibromyalgia and RA coming to the forefront in Pain, Pain, and oh Boy Howdy more pain. So, the sprouts got set aside. Then when I had about six plastic containers fall on my head when I was trying to get the baking soda out of the cupboard - THAT is when I discovered that those containers were not airtight. Heck, the lids split across the middle. The seeds went stale and wouldn't sprout. What a waste of money! So, I got a better grade of plastic, air-tight containers with a large enough opening that vacuum sealed bags could easily go inside. I slowly purchased more seeds, vacuum sealed them, and this time stored them above my sink on heavy shelves put across my UV blocking windows. No UV light to destroy the seeds.

I just wish I had a step-daughter or neice who would visit and arrange my kitchen for me, like I used to do for my sisters. And a handy person to install roll out two-tier shelves for my small appliances, and the cast iron cookware.

cHeroKee
03-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Over the years my health has deteriorated, Husband has continued to gain weight (is now around 472 pounds, and only has limited mobility)

Can I cut in here without being attacked?

Your husband needs to cut out the wheat, barely, rye and oats (yes oats). Watch what he eats because things have these gains in them i.e store bought sausage has wheat as a filler. Honestly cut out the wheat, barely, rye and oats for 2 -4 weeks and watch what happens.

Poltax
03-18-2019, 06:22 PM
DMGNUT....thanks for the reminder on the water. I have two 100 gallon water containers that I keep thinking I need to set up and get cleaned. I helped a friend of mine move and recd them as a thank you. He downsized from a house to a small condo and did not have room for them.

As for your neighbor, I guess he felt impressed to add to his preps even though he is 93. He sounds like a great neighbor to have and would have some great experiences to share!

As for comments on why this board has been slow, I guess life gets priority sometimes. Maybe some are burned out on the thought process, who knows. I have to agee with you on Wards & Stakes not putting prepardness on the front burner. I do not remember the last time we had any lesson, fireside, or event to help with this. Seems like the priority within the Church right now is Spiritual preperation. I teach one of the lessons in Priesthood once a month. I try to be creative and add something about the Constitution, prepardness, ect if I can. Its not always easy but have not been released yet....HAHA!!

iggy
03-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Can I cut in here without being attacked?

Your husband needs to cut out the wheat, barely, rye and oats (yes oats). Watch what he eats because things have these gains in them i.e store bought sausage has wheat as a filler. Honestly cut out the wheat, barely, rye and oats for 2 -4 weeks and watch what happens.

Doctrine and Covenants Section 89
1–9 (https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89.1-9?lang=eng#p1), The use of wine, strong drinks, tobacco, and hot drinks is proscribed; 10–17 (https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89.10-17?lang=eng#p9), Herbs, fruits, flesh, and grain are ordained for the use of man and of animals; 18–21 (https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89.18-21?lang=eng#p17), Obedience to gospel law, including the Word of Wisdom, brings temporal and spiritual blessings.

1 A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—
2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—
3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth; 15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.

16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—

17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

'Nuff Said!

cHeroKee
03-19-2019, 09:14 PM
Do you realize that when the word of Wisdom was given there was no conspiring of men? Look at historical records. The grains I named earlier have been modified in ways that are damaging. Do you realize this is the year 2019?

I really know now you have no clue. Seems to me that you enjoy seeing your husband over weigh with numerous health issues. Sadly, your husbands life will be cut short form pride.

Well "Nuff Said"

Doctrine and Covenants Section 89
1–9 (https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89.1-9?lang=eng#p1), The use of wine, strong drinks, tobacco, and hot drinks is proscribed; 10–17 (https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89.10-17?lang=eng#p9), Herbs, fruits, flesh, and grain are ordained for the use of man and of animals; 18–21 (https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89.18-21?lang=eng#p17), Obedience to gospel law, including the Word of Wisdom, brings temporal and spiritual blessings.

1 A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—
2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—
3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth; 15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.

16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—

17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

'Nuff Said!

Dr.Jride
03-19-2019, 10:01 PM
Do you realize that when the word of Wisdom was given there was no conspiring of men? Look at historical records. The grains I named earlier have been modified in ways that are damaging. Do you realize this is the year 2019?

I really know now you have no clue. Seems to me that you enjoy seeing your husband over weigh with numerous health issues. Sadly, your husbands life will be cut short form pride.

Well "Nuff Said"

You are making a mistake. First, you are assuming that grains caused her husbands weight gain. Excuse me, but there is no way in hell you could have any possible idea the factors in this specific case. Second, to make the proclamation that she must "enjoy seeing her husband over weight with numerous health issues" is sophomoric and idiotic. Why would you attack someone for quoting scripture? Third, your proclamation of "Nuff said" does not make you a expert on this issue. I would suggest you grow up and learn how to treat your fellow beings! Have a nice day!

mirkwood
03-20-2019, 08:05 AM

Hmmmm...the church sells those horrible conspiring foods too. Imagine that.

Hard Red Wheat:
https://store.lds.org/ProductDisplay?top_category5=&top_category4=&top_category3=&urlRequestType=Ajax&productId=3074457345616682540&catalogId=3074457345616676768&top_category2=&categoryId=3074457345616678849&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

Hard White Wheat:
(https://store.lds.org/ProductDisplay?top_category5=&top_category4=&top_category3=&urlRequestType=Ajax&productId=3074457345616681666&catalogId=3074457345616676768&top_category2=&categoryId=3074457345616678849&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151)https://store.lds.org/ProductDisplay?top_category5=&top_category4=&top_category3=&urlRequestType=Ajax&productId=3074457345616681666&catalogId=3074457345616676768&top_category2=&categoryId=3074457345616678849&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

Quick Oats:
https://store.lds.org/ProductDisplay?top_category5=&top_category4=&top_category3=&urlRequestType=Ajax&productId=3074457345616683372&catalogId=3074457345616676768&top_category2=&categoryId=3074457345616678849&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

Regular Oats:
https://store.lds.org/ProductDisplay?top_category5=&top_category4=&top_category3=&urlRequestType=Ajax&productId=3074457345616681895&catalogId=3074457345616676768&top_category2=&categoryId=3074457345616678849&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

White Flour:
https://store.lds.org/ProductDisplay?top_category5=&top_category4=&top_category3=&urlRequestType=Ajax&productId=3074457345616681667&catalogId=3074457345616676768&top_category2=&categoryId=3074457345616678849&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

White Rice:
https://store.lds.org/ProductDisplay?top_category5=&top_category4=&top_category3=&urlRequestType=Ajax&productId=3074457345616683340&catalogId=3074457345616676768&top_category2=&categoryId=3074457345616678849&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

*gasp* even Sugar:
https://store.lds.org/ProductDisplay?top_category5=&top_category4=&top_category3=&urlRequestType=Ajax&productId=3074457345616681896&catalogId=3074457345616676768&top_category2=&categoryId=3074457345616678849&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

Well "Nuff Said"

Wow. Do you think you could be a bigger jerk?

LoudmouthMormon
03-20-2019, 10:27 AM
The grains I named earlier have been modified in ways that are damaging. Do you realize this is the year 2019? Whenever I hear a claim like this, I like to ask for more clarification. I assume you're talking about the various ways humans have modified plants over the years, yes? If you would, please tell us which modification technique you have a problem with, and why.

mirkwood
03-20-2019, 10:49 AM
It looks like they are trying to give Kearns the measles.

https://i.postimg.cc/MHkZbTJV/meas.jpg (https://postimg.cc/CBNVww1x)

iggy
03-20-2019, 04:28 PM
It looks like they are trying to give Kearns the measles
Ho Boy, mirkwood, I don't understand this at all.

iggy
03-20-2019, 04:59 PM
https://www.livestrong.com/article/201787-what-grains-are-not-gmo/

What Grains Are Not GMO? Clay McNight
A GMO, or genetically modified organism, can be defined as a plant or animal that is created or modified through genetic engineering. This technology allows DNA from one species to be transferred into another species. Several major U.S. crops are largely composed of genetically engineered versions of their traditional counterparts. Grains, for the most part. are not genetically engineered.
Grains Are Not High-Risk
The Non-GMO Project lists eight crops or foods that are considered "high-risk" due to their widespread use. These crops include alfalfa, soy, papaya, cotton, corn, canola, sugar beets and zucchini. Corn, cotton, canola, soy and sugar beets are particularly prevalent, with around 90 percent or higher crop domination. There are no grain crops that are considered high-risk for being genetically modified.
Monitored Grains
The Non-GMO Project also lists a number of monitored crops that have the potential to become contaminated through cross-pollination of other genetically engineered crops. In some instances genetically engineered versions of these crops have been developed but are not currently used in production because they have not received U.S. Department of Agriculture approval. Among these crops are wheat and rice.
GM Wheat
The bio-tech and agricultural company Monsanto has developed genetically modified wheat, but the USDA has yet to approve it. There have been reports of contamination by genetically modified wheat into traditional wheat fields. These incidents are isolated, however, and do not present a high risk to average consumers who wish to avoid genetically modified wheat.
Golden Rice
A variety of genetically modified rice known as Golden Rice has been in development since the 1990s. This rice was engineered to produce pro-vitamin A, as a way to correct vitamin A deficiencies in developing countries. Golden Rice may be able to contaminate traditional rice through cross-pollination. This rice, however, is not used in the United States.
No-Risk Grains
There are a number of grains for which no GM varieties exist, and there is no risk of contamination for these crops. If you want to be 100 percent certain you're consuming GMO-free grains, your options include amaranth, barley, buckwheat, bulgur, einkorn, farro, grano, kamut, millet, oats, quinoa, rye, sorghum, spelt, teff and triticale.

For me, to make certain that the grains, seeds, beans that I buy to sprout/grind/cook with are 100% NON-gmo 100% Organic I purchase them from my local Organic Co-Op. Since Husband is 76 (soon to turn 77) and I am 66 (will turn 67 in June), I am not all that picky about the processed foods. BUT for the wheat I grind and the seeds/grains/beans/legumes I sprout THOSE I insist must be 100% organic because we, Hubby and I, are not the only ones eating them. The children at church are eating them too, in the salads, bread and soups I make to take to the pot-lucks. Again cHeroKee I ask you to please disclose your credentials regarding you being a Dr. Meaning a Doctor of What? Also please when you state something as fact - BACK IT UP WITH LINKS. I know you have been on this forum longer than I have, at least I think so - but to me you reek of being a Dr of Quackdom as in Chicken Little's The Sky is Falling.

mirkwood
03-20-2019, 07:38 PM
I was making fun of the chemtrail crowd. That is a picture of the clouds over Kearns today.