PDA

View Full Version : 5 Gallon buckets

KF7EEC
06-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey quick quesiton, to make sure that I understand correctly. I've used 5-gallon buckets in the past for food storage. I just purchased a few more today. As I understand it, as long as they are new buckets with either HDPE or the Recycle Symbol with a 2 in the center, these are food grade and I will be fine using them with my food storage. Is that correct? Any thoughts or concerns that I should know about?

I got these buckets from Wal-Mart's paint department for about $4.50, quite a bit cheaper than I've found them at at "food storage" type stores.

Thanks!

Cowboy
06-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Usually if buckets are used for paint of toxic chemicals they are good for food storage if they are very clean.

If can purchase top quality buckets that have twist-on lids that seal air tight with a gasket in the lid for about $12 each if I order them by the pallet (144).

We can do a group purchase if you would like. I have about 60 of them I use now but I could use more.

mirkwood
06-18-2008, 10:51 PM
If you live in Salt Lake County you can get the gasket lids at Blue Chip Group (Morning Moo) for $0.89 right now. The Gamma lids are $5.

KF7EEC
06-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Usually if buckets are used for paint of toxic chemicals they are good for food storage if they are very clean.

Okay, so I should be good then to use the buckets I got from Wal-Mart, if I understand correctly.

If can purchase top quality buckets that have twist-on lids that seal air tight with a gasket in the lid for about $12 each if I order them by the pallet (144).

We can do a group purchase if you would like. I have about 60 of them I use now but I could use more.

I take it that these are better than the ones from Wal-Mart. What is the difference between them? Is the twist on lids a gamma lid or what kind of twist on lid is it?

Thanks for your help!

KF7EEC
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM
If you live in Salt Lake County you can get the gasket lids at Blue Chip Group (Morning Moo) for $0.89 right now. The Gamma lids are $5.

Wow. That's the best price I've seen so far! Is that these guys: http://www.bluechipgroup.net? The only place that I've found them in Vegas so far is $10.99!!!! I've purchased them in St George at a Food Storage/Paint Ball/Violin store (what a combination!) for $7.99.

mirkwood
06-19-2008, 01:38 AM
That would be the company.

KF7EEC
06-19-2008, 10:13 AM
That would be the company.

Thanks for the lead. I'm not up in SLC much, but I'll have to remember to go there if/when I'm up there next. It looks like they have just about everything on back order.

mirkwood
06-19-2008, 12:05 PM
They have lots of backorders. So does Emergency Essentials. Macey's carries a lot of BCG items and I will be hitting the store today looking for thier fruits to add to my storage.

phylm
06-19-2008, 07:29 PM
I've been getting my food pails free at supermarket bakeries/delis, in sizes from 1 gallon to 5 and 6 gallon. Most of the lids have gaskets in them and seem to be sealing well with the oxygen packs in them. Caterers and doughut shops should be a good source of buckets, too.

We have just found some super, heavy plastic, food-grade 55 gallon barrels with wonderful screw-on caps that are a bit smaller than the barrel for $15 each. We're planning to use them for quick oats, rice and wheat with dry ice as the oxygen-eliminating agent. (We plan to put "Hazardous Waste" or pesticide decals on them and store them under the shelter for the RV. Figure marauders wouldn't suspect food in them!) This barrel outlet also has 55 gallon water barrels for $15. These should all be available in the west.

NRA
06-19-2008, 10:13 PM
This barrel outlet also has 55 gallon water barrels for $15. These should all be available in the west.What barrel outlet would that be?

Banjo Picker
08-17-2008, 06:30 PM
I purchase my storage buckets from an Albertson's in store bakery. About a year ago they went from free to 50 cents. I can usually get up to twenty at a time. They have the small two gallon ones, three and a half gallon, and sometimes the 5 gallon ones, all for 50 cents. They have been rinsed out but are often a little greasy and need to be washed out with soap. I usually got to a town (90 miles away) big enough to have big stores once a month or so and then get them for some ward members.
Banjo Picker

phylm
08-18-2008, 04:09 PM
NRA--I am in northern Florida, but you should be able to find an outlet out there. I have seen advertisements for them in "shopper papers," and other classifieds. I don't know if any of them advertise in the Yellow Pages or not, but it is a big business. Some of them sell barrels for float docks, also.