PDA

View Full Version : Relief Society lesson on food storage

Julie
07-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Ok, now I'm really worried. We had a really nice lesson on food storage today in Relief Society. Getting prepared is our stake focus. Well, I live in a pretty wealthy ward (mostly doctors) and I tell you all the ladies are into preparedness. They knew that walmart has the screw on lids for buckets for the best prices. They knew where you could get rice and wheat at a good price. One lady's husband has a solar distillar. The knew about the neighbor that can get the blue water storage barrels for free. (We got 10). They have had sugar in them and they just throw them away. I just sat there with my mouth open at their knowledge. Good for them! Then I got really worried. If they are getting into preparedness, maybe things are getting pretty bad out there that those who have everything are starting to worry. Are their husbands seeing events that we might not see at the hospital? They had a sister come and tell how they lived off their two year supply while her husband went to law school. They had very little meat which told me to get canning meat. She had canned a lot and had a big garden. They bought very little at the store. She said they have never been without food storage since and that she knows how to use it. Her children only eat whole wheat bread and know how to drink powdered milk.
I bet most of my ward does have their food storage or a good start. I was so impressed with their comments.

KF7EEC
07-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Ok, now I'm really worried. We had a really nice lesson on food storage today in Relief Society. Getting prepared is our stake focus. Well, I live in a pretty wealthy ward (mostly doctors) and I tell you all the ladies are into preparedness. They knew that walmart has the screw on lids for buckets for the best prices. They knew where you could get rice and wheat at a good price. One lady's husband has a solar distillar. The knew about the neighbor that can get the blue water storage barrels for free. (We got 10). They have had sugar in them and they just throw them away. I just sat there with my mouth open at their knowledge. Good for them! Then I got really worried. If they are getting into preparedness, maybe things are getting pretty bad out there that those who have everything are starting to worry. Are their husbands seeing events that we might not see at the hospital? They had a sister come and tell how they lived off their two year supply while her husband went to law school. They had very little meat which told me to get canning meat. She had canned a lot and had a big garden. They bought very little at the store. She said they have never been without food storage since and that she knows how to use it. Her children only eat whole wheat bread and know how to drink powdered milk.
I bet most of my ward does have their food storage or a good start. I was so impressed with their comments.

My parents live in St George. They've had a lot of preparedness leasons recently. What stake are you in? Also, where can you get the blue water barrels for free from? I'm in St George quite often (and will be this week) and could use more.

mirkwood
07-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Ok, now I'm really worried.

Don't be worried, just work to the best of your ability to have your own storage.

That is great. There are some in my ward and with the support of the bishop I'm working on the rest of them!!

Earthling
07-07-2008, 08:32 AM
I live in a pretty wealthy ward (mostly doctors) and I tell you all the ladies are into preparedness. Then I got really worried. If they are getting into preparedness, maybe things are getting pretty bad out there that those who have everything are starting to worry. Are their husbands seeing events that we might not see at the hospital?

Julie - I live in a wealthy ward with mostly doctors also. I have been the emergency prep leader for 4 years and I can't get them to wake up and do anything. I also work for a large national hospital corporation. Anyway, the doctors in my neck of the woods (Ogden Utah) aren't seeing anything nor am I seeing anything at work. Our county health director is a good spiritual man. He lives in my ward (wife is my best friend) and he is working very hard on pandemic preparation. You just have a great ward with people listening to the spirit telling them to prepare!

prairiemom
07-07-2008, 08:51 AM
You can get blue barrels from pop bottling plants--like Pepsi or Coca Cola plants. It's what their syrup comes in and needs to be cleaned out, but it's food grade.

phylm
07-07-2008, 07:27 PM
We are putting our grains in barrels like that, storing them in outside shed...and putting pesticide labels on them. I'm labelling contents with a small label in code. Never know when we will turn from being prepared people to "hoarders" according to TPTB.

Alma the Younger
07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
It is indeed comforting to hear that your ward is doing so well with their food storage. Now the question is, are they ready for the higher law?

By that I mean having a years supply of every needful thing. More often than not, people tend to look upon food storage as they do the Word of Wisdom, only acknowledging those things they want to do.

Sounds to me like your ward maybe ready for someone like yourself to start the conversation regarding other items of preparation.

419!