PDA

View Full Version : Canning food becoming popular with economy

Julie
07-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Guess what I'm doing right now? Yep, canning chile sauce. I sent my husband to the store early this morning for more pint jars and he could only find one box. Maybe this article explains why. - Julie

Canning food becoming more popular with slumping economy
July 9, 2008

Canning is becoming more popular in Utah, and the economy and food supply may be to blame.

It's not often you see homemade jars of salsa sitting under someone's desk. Sara Oldroyd canned them herself last September, and they're good for three years.

Oldroyd uses the jars in presentations about canning as a home economist with the Utah State University Extension Service. "I've just noticed more people have called in, and younger," she said.

Oldroyd says she thinks more people are getting into canning because of gas prices, food prices and food safety. "Families want to know that they're gonna have food," she said.

She's given out many of the U.S. Agricultural Department's official canning guides and tests old pressure dials to make sure the canning goes safely.

For more information about the USU extension's canning classes in Salt Lake County, you can contact Oldroyd via e-mail at [email protected] or visit USU's Web site for the classes by clicking here.