PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine in tap water

KF7EEC
07-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I've recently got some 55 gallon drums and was planning on putting water in them. I've heard that you should not add chlorine if your tap water has chlorine and that you should just change the water ever year. Any truth in that?

Earthling
07-11-2008, 01:46 PM
If your water is from a clean source such as a city water supply you do not need to add chlorine, bleach, etc. You should change your water annually.

gorbat
07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Why is it recommended to change water out, semi-annually or annually I've heard, if it has come from a known source (as opposed to a pond or river)? If it has been properly chlorinated or other methods of bacteriological control measures have been used, then why change it? Would re-chlorinating it on a routine basis be okay or is it a chemical change that takes place?

I know that some townships store their potable water supply in towers. Perhaps there is enough usage to prevent any holding problems. Thanks, G.

mirkwood
07-11-2008, 04:40 PM
From ProvidentLiving.org: http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7534-1-4065-1,00.html

Water Storage Guidelines

Commercially bottled water in PETE (or PET) plastic containers may be purchased. Follow the container’s “best if used by” dates as a rotation guideline. Avoid plastic containers that are not PETE plastic.

If you choose to package water yourself, consider the following guidelines:

Containers

Use only food-grade containers. Smaller containers made of PETE plastic or heavier plastic buckets or drums work well.
Clean, sanitize, and thoroughly rinse all containers prior to use. A sanitizing solution can be prepared by adding 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of liquid household chlorine bleach (5 to 6% sodium hypochlorite) to one quart (1 liter) of water. Only household bleach without thickeners, scents, or additives should be used.
Do not use plastic milk jugs, because they do not seal well and tend to become brittle over time.
Do not use containers previously used to store non-food products.
Water Pretreatment

Water from a chlorinated municipal water supply does not need further treatment when stored in clean, food-grade containers.
Non-chlorinated water should be treated with bleach. Add 1/8 of a teaspoon (8 drops) of liquid household chlorine bleach (5 to 6% sodium hypochlorite) for every gallon (4 liters) of water. Only household bleach without thickeners, scents, or additives should be used.
Storage

Containers should be emptied and refilled regularly.
Store water only where potential leakage would not damage your home or apartment.
Protect stored water from light and heat. Some containers may also require protection from freezing.
The taste of stored water can be improved by pouring it back and forth between two containers before use.
Additional Information

Note: The following links are not to official Church publications but are provided as additional resource material:

www.fema.gov/plan/prepare/water
www.redcross.org/services/prepare

KF7EEC
07-11-2008, 11:14 PM
thanks for the knowledge!

gorbat
07-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I checked out the references. Thank you for posting them. They each state change-out times - or 'regularly' - for non-commercial water supply. They don't say why. My concern is the drums are in the basement. I have hand pumps that are dandy for a couple gallons at a time, but I don't have enough m&m's or cold, hard cash to bribe kids to do all of it! I guess we could get an electric pump for change-outs, but what a waste to water the lawn with precious drinking water (can you tell we live in a drought area?).

I emailed FEMA with my question on why to change the water. I will post any reply I receive, if I do get anything. They must be getting busy with hurricane season upon us.

gorbat
07-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Okay, I emailed the Red Cross as well as FEMA - lapsed again:blushing:.... This is the response from a client services coordinator
at the Red Cross (first thing Monday!). She included a brochure that reiterates the combined FEMA-Red Cross suggestiions for food, water, etc. entitled Food and Water in an Emergency (which for some reason I cannot copy the pdf file here, luckily it is available on the website). This is what she said:
"This email is regarding your question about water rotation. It is recommended that all water be rotated because all containers will have some degree of degradation, irregardless of their quality. Temperature changes, light levels and atmospheric pressure changes will also affect water quality. If you are interested in specific contaminants relating to the type of food-grade container you are using, you will need to contact the manufacturer of the container and request the data from their product test.

I am also attaching a copy of the brochure referenced on our website. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions or need assistance contacting the manufacturer of your containers.

Thank-you for contacting the American Red Cross."

gorbat
07-16-2008, 02:04 AM
Red Cross-FEMA brochure

gorbat
07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Below (way down there) is FEMA's email response to the question on why to change out water stores. I also cut and pasted a portion of the link she sent me since it has the critical info there (way, way down there). It has more common sense information as well. Be sure to click the link if you want to see info on food storage, too.

CDC's 'answer-line' was a bust. They referred me to the EPA's Safe Drinking Water group @ 800-426-4791. The EPA phone tree zig-zagged me around so much I thought I was in a Maytag - finally passed me off to the wqa.org - office of ground and drinking water @ 202-564-5700 who passed me off to poor Ms. Crystal @ 3750 with, guess who, the EPA! Apparently wqa is part of the EPA. I left a message @5275. Some of the relevant numbers are here if you so desire to chat with all of them. I also checked out the Assoc. of Public Health but found nothing connected. Well, Mr. Tom Grubbs @5262 got back to me (said Crystal passed me on) and we had quite a chat.

He indicated that the hold times for the water (6 mos.) are meant to be on the safe side both chemically and microbiologically. The chlorine is reactive and will degrade over time or possibly bind to polymers in the plastic creating unhealthy compounds - what those might be he wasn't specifying. Also, typically folks aren't aware of things like handling technique - they may have filled water in a less than clean manner, not that they would be aware of it (say using a garden hose instead of a potable water-grade hose like those used for RV drinking water, or how we should use water from the sink not the spigot outside, the container for the water must be washed out with a chlorine solution and hands must be thoroughly washed and cleaned). Each of these things as well as others can cause a heavier bacterial load over time, as the chlorine is degrading.

He said that aesthtically the water may also degrade - picking up flavors from the environment that may range from objectionable to harmful, or tasting flat/stale (pouring it back and forth introduces air and makes it less flat).

Here's the email:
"Thank you for your e-mail dated July 11, 2008, to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) asking why we must discard stored water after six months.

The National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) a FEMA partner, addresses disaster preparedness water-concerns on its Web site at: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/earthquakes/food.asp (http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/earthquakes/food.asp).

To speak to a health expert about water storage, you may call the CDC Public Response Hotline at: 1-888-246-2675.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
Janice Sosebee
FEMA Disaster Assistance Directorate"
"Emergency Water Storage And Purification

Following are recommendations for storing and purifying water supplies.

The minimum drinking water supply is 1 gallon per person per day. You will also need water for food preparation, bathing, brushing teeth, and dish washing. Store a 3-5 day supply of water (at least 5 gallons for each person).

Water should be stored in sturdy plastic bottles with tight-fitting lids. Rinsed chlorine bleach bottles work well for water storage. Plastic containers for juice and milk do not work as well because they tend to crack and leak more readily. All containers should be labeled.

Stored water should be changed every 6 months.

Avoid placing water containers in areas where toxic substances, such as gasoline and pesticides, are present. Vapors may penetrate the plastic over time.

Do not store water containers in direct sunlight. Select a place with a fairly constant, cool temperature.
Safe Water Sources In The Home

If you do not have enough water stored, there are sources in your home that may provide safe, clean water for drinking purposes.

Water drained from the water heater faucet, if the water heater has not been damaged.

Water dipped from the tank of the toilet (not the bowl). The water in the bowl can be used for pets. Do not use water that has been chemically treated or "blue" water.

Melted ice cubes.

Canned fruit, vegetable juice, and liquids from other canned goods.

Water from swimming pools and spas can be used for personal hygiene, cleaning, and related uses, but not for drinking.
Unsafe Water Sources

Never use water from the sources listed below for drinking.

Radiators

Hot water boilers (home heating system)

Water beds (fungicides added to the water or chemicals in the vinyl may make water unsafe for use)

NOTE: Remember that carbonated beverages do not meet drinking water requirements. Caffeinated drinks and alcohol dehydrate the body, which increases the need for drinking water.
Water for Drinking and Cooking

Safe drinking water includes bottled, boiled, or treated water. Your state, local, or tribal health department can make specific recommendations for boiling or treating drinking water in your area. Here are some general rules concerning water for drinking and cooking. Remember:

Do not use contaminated water to wash dishes, brush your teeth, wash and prepare food, or make ice.

If you use bottled water, make sure the seal has not been broken. Otherwise, water should be boiled or treated before use. Drink only bottled, boiled, or treated water until your supply is tested and found safe.

Boiling water kills harmful bacteria and parasites. Bringing water to a rolling boil for 1 minute will kill most organisms.

If you can't boil water, you can treat water with chlorine tablets, iodine tablets, or unscented household chlorine bleach (5.25% sodium hypochlorite). If you use chlorine tablets or iodine tablets, follow the directions that come with the tablets. If you use household chlorine bleach, add 1/8 teaspoon (~0.75 milliliter [mL]) of bleach per gallon of water if the water is clear. For cloudy water, add 1/4 teaspoon (~1.50 mL) of bleach per gallon. Mix the solution thoroughly and let it stand for about 30 minutes before using it. Treating water with chlorine tablets, iodine tablets, or liquid bleach will not kill many parasitic organisms. Boiling is the best way to kill these organisms.

Containers for water should be rinsed with a bleach solution before using and reusing. Use water storage tanks and other types of containers with caution. For example, fire truck storage tanks, as well as previously used cans or bottles, can be contaminated with microbes or chemicals."