PDA

View Full Version : Stockpiling for tough times article says too much

Earthling
07-11-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't think we are doing ourselves a favor to have these types of articles anymore. I have already heard a few people say that the food shortage is caused by people hoarding like the Mormons. Not to mention saying it is good to live by a Mormon so he can share with you and saying where we hide things. People don't understand the target they are making us to give these comments to a newspaper. Or am I being paranoid?

Stockpiling for tough times

By Krista J. Kapralos
Herald Writer - Everett Washington

MUKILTEO -- Food storage warehouses owned and operated around the country by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are stocked with nonperishables sealed to withstand natural disasters, virus pandemics and even the Great Tribulation, that biblical era of suffering said to precede the end of the earth.

In recent months, the warehouses have become more popular with Mormons who worry about a threat more subtle than the drama of Armageddon: high food prices.

"When food prices rise, the cost of my food doesn't," said Jenny Webb, a Mormon mother who feeds her husband and three children meals based on her pantry's rotating stock of spaghetti, wheat, beans and other goods intended to stay edible for 30 years.

Webb, 37, said she has enough food in her pantry to feed her family for at least three months if her husband loses his job, an earthquake turns grocery stores to rubble, or market prices swell too much for the family to afford.

She buys many of her pantry staples at a church-owned warehouse in Mukilteo, where food sales have increased to staggering rates over the past two months.

A year ago, church members bought and canned about 18,000 pounds of food for themselves and their families at the warehouse each month, said Al Cripe, a church elder who, with his wife, Opal, runs the Mukilteo warehouse.

Last month, church members bought and canned about 62,000 pounds of food, Cripe said. The warehouse bought a second can sealer three weeks ago to help expedite work for Mormons lined up at the warehouse's canning station.

"This is going on throughout the country," he said.

Webb said she's not sure how much money she saves by using the church warehouse. Like many Mormon women, she was raised on food storage and doesn't know any other way.

Church leaders since the time of Brigham Young have commanded their followers to store up food for three months, a year, even seven years. The end could be nigh, they said, and Mormons should be prepared.

"Natural disasters are going to happen right before the second coming," said Alissa Howell, 50, referring to the Mormon belief that Jesus Christ will one day return triumphantly to the earth. "But even people who don't believe in the second coming talk about earthquakes, and that the 'big one' is coming."

When it comes, whether an earthquake or a natural disaster signaling the end times, Howell said she'll be prepared not only to feed her family, but also to feed her neighbors.

That's a sense of pride shared by many Mormons who stockpile food from the warehouse.

"If you're not a Mormon and there's an earthquake, the next best thing is to have a Mormon neighbor," said James Amis, who runs the Bishop's Storehouse, a small grocery in the warehouse that offers free food and toiletries to families in need.

Today, the church owns nearly 100 warehouses throughout the country. Church-owned farms and factories produce wheat, dehydrated fruit and vegetables, beans, and other long-term pantry items. Short-term storage items, such as canned chili, cocoa mix and pancake mix, are produced under the Deseret brand, based in Salt Lake City.

The food is sold to church members at cost, Amis said.

"The church isn't making any money off this," he said.

Trucks based at a large church-owned facility in Hermiston, Ore., deliver with increasing frequency giant bags of food, as well as cans and pouches for long-term storage, to the Mukilteo warehouse.

The warehouse is open to people who are not Mormons, Amis said. More people who are not church members have come to the warehouse in recent months than ever before, he said.

The women who gathered Tuesday morning at the warehouse to can sugar, beans and cocoa mix shared cautionary tales of families who lived off their long-term storage pantries for months when a husband lost his job.

"You never know when a family is going to have hard times," said Laree Ricks, 49, of Redmond. "It may be a loss of a job for a short time, or it may just be that gas is so expensive that you want to conserve in other ways."

Ricks said she's never lived without a deep store of food tucked away. Her cans are stored in her garage, but many families slide boxes beneath beds, behind shelves, in clothes closets.

"When it's a priority, you find room," she said.

Most families rotate the food in their long-term storage so that nothing is more than a few years old, but others find themselves with stockpiles of wheat or rice that could feed a small army.

"I'm eating rice we've had at home for 20 years," Amis said.

Faced with cooking from bags of hard red wheat and dry pinto beans, Mormon families get creative. Stacks of recipes are set up near the warehouse's checkout table: 15-minute barbecued beans. Eggless chocolate cake. Nutritional Soup from Bean Flour.

"I bought a wheat grinder so I can make flour from my wheat," Webb said. "The wheat stores longer than regular white flour."

Most young Mormon couples are overwhelmed at the prospect of creating long-term storage, said Opal Cripes. Church leaders encourage them to start small with a church-sanctioned "Starter Kit," which includes hard red winter wheat, white rice, pinto beans and quick oats, for $34.25.

"It's eye-opening for people who realize that we have a religion that not only cares about our souls, but also cares about our basic needs," Webb said.

prairiemom
07-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Articles like this one bother me as well. I wish the article focused more on "This is what Mormons do and why and you should do it to." I think we should be telling our neighbors and friends to do food storage. I know 2 of our ward members have gotten their non-LDS friends to start doing food storage. Several people I worked with in the Ron Paul campaign are doing food storage. I teach classes on cooking with dry beans and part of the class I talk about storing in bulk and why you should. My monthly Stake Preparedness newsletter goes to a half dozen or so non-LDS. Without putting a big "Free Eats" neon sign over our house, we should get the message out to our friends.

"Son of man, I have made thee a watchman on the tower..."

Cowboy
07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Well, we all are going to be targeted when the s... hits the fan. Everyone needs to be careful not to tell others everything you have, and where it is. I think it is general knowledge of what Mormons are about. Everyone knows we store food. They will come as a result.

The big question is what the circumstances will be where the Lord can assist us in keeping our storage so we can use it. It will take much faith.

mirkwood
07-11-2008, 04:38 PM
"If you're not a Mormon and there's an earthquake, the next best thing is to have a Mormon neighbor," said James Amis, who runs the Bishop's Storehouse, a small grocery in the warehouse that offers free food and toiletries to families in need.

What an idiotic statement. It boggles the mind when people make such statements.

Alma the Younger
07-11-2008, 07:30 PM
As I have said before, I will be more than willing to share my food with others who either are in desperate need or have a skill I need at the time.

But, I will not allow others to target my family and take what I have sacrificed to put away.

God inspired our founding fathers to include the second amendment in our Constitution and I believe it would be arrogant and disrespectful for me to ignore it.

419!

DMGNUT
07-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Ditto to what Alma said... :smile (2):

sparrow
01-16-2009, 03:13 PM
I liked the article as it gave lots of sensible advice: what, how and why.

Yes there are probably nutters out there who will read it and store the info away but they're going to be taking the food from everybody who is closest in their path anyway in such situations and it won't just be LDS people who will have a problem with them but anyone who looks as though they may be slightly better off and in some scenarios anyone *other* than themselves. It WILL be like that whether you advertise your home storeage or not. Looting indiscriminately are words that show up in any disaster report. No one is going to be picky. The target will be food not the person or the religion and it will be whatever is easiest to take or scavenge. The whole idea of LDS lists and maps for govt collection has never been used in times as such as far as I know and I don't think I've heard stories of people during Katrina calling on the LDS neighbours for food with a gun...so if we're talking the end of the world as we know it I assume anything that looks like a dinner plate will be plated.

In the meanwhile people who are in financial stress are getting the advice they need. Y'all do realise that there are lots of people out there who wouldn't know how to cook anything that didn't have microwave instructions on the outside of it right. Hey if it means one family realises they can add some canned beans to their food when they can't afford mince anymore then great...some kids will benefit from that nutrition. Even better is that they are learning ways to help themselves and decreasing the pressure on help agencies in the process. Certainly there's a bit of a quandary with nano technology and GM in our foods without labelling required and additives galore and not necessarily food itself as a contributing factor towards interest in home prep of food. In the meanwhile the LDS church is being promoted as having good sense long before other people realised the sense in it.

phylm
01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
My non-member cousin-in-law asked me today when we can go to the church cannery. I told him I'd call Monday for an appointment.

He had friends visiting last weekend who were impressed with their storage prep, and said that they knew where they were going when times get rough. He gave them his stock answer:

"You'd better be the first one through the gate, because the second one isn't going to make it!"

I've been prepping for a LOT of grasshoppers. I'm sure we'll have them.

waif69
01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
God inspired our founding fathers to include the second amendment in our Constitution and I believe it would be arrogant and disrespectful for me to ignore it.

:iagree:

Baconator
01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
I've heard people say they'll get food from 'the Mormons'. I've heard other people tell them to be careful, because if you picked up all the Mormon houses and shook them, it'd rain guns for three days.

phylm
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Baconator--LOL!!!

PHYLM