PDA

View Full Version : July is fruit month

Julie
07-16-2008, 08:35 AM
I condensed this from a list that was handed out in my Relief Society a few weeks ago. - Julie

January is First aid, paper and dental month - you should get first aid kit, household and automobiles; extra paper products: plates, cups, napkins, paper towels, facial tissue; plastic utensils; personal and household medications.

February is miscellaneous month - your should get trash bags, laundry detergent, dish and hand soap, batteries for flashlights, candles, cyalume sticks and matches, feminine supplies.

March is water storage month.

April is grains month - 300 lbs per person per year. Wheat, flour, rice, pasta, oatmeal, cereal, corn, barley and rye, cornmeal, crackers, Bisquick. Rice-a-Roni, Pasta-Roni, Macaroni and chees, Spaghettio's, Cream of Wheat last up to l year.

May is legume month - 25lbs per person per year or 7lbs per person per 3 months. Pork and beans, refried beans, peanut butter, chili, nuts, canned and dried beans. 1 can = l lb

June is milk month - 75 lbs per person per year - dry milk, cocoa, evaporated milk, condensed milk, cheese, dried cheese, dried butter, yogurt starts.

July is fruit month - 50-75 quarts per person per year or 12-20 quarts per person for 3 months. Canned fruit, applesauce, fruit juice, dried fruit.
1 can of fruit = 2 cups
2 cans of fruit = 1 quart
Lrg can of juice = 2 quarts
1 pkg dried fruit = 3/4 cup
5 pkg dried fruit = about 1 quart
1 #10 can of Welfare Square dried apples = 3 quarts

August is vegetable month - 30-50 quarts per person per year or 8-12 quarts per person per 3 months. Canned vegetables, tomatoes, vegetable soup, salsa, ketchup, spaghetti sauce, Welfare Square dehydrated carrots and potato pearls
5 cans of vegetables = 2 quarts
4 cans of vegetable soup = 1 quart
1 jar of spaghetti sauce = about 1 quart
1 #10 can of Welfare Square dehydrated carrots = 39 servings
1 #10 cn of Welfare Square potato pearls = 50 servings

September is vitamins, meat & soup month - multi vitamins, beef jerky, canned tuna, beef stew, roast beef, chicken, salmon and calms, etc. MRE meals, Soups.

October is fat and salt month. 5 lbs of salt per person per year. 2 gallons of fat per person per year. Oil, shortening, butter, margarine, mayonnaise, salad dressing, lard, butter powder.

November is baking supplies month. per person per year - 1 lb yeas, 1 lb baking soda, 1 lb baking powder. Spices - buy what you use.

December is sugar month. 100 lbs per person per year. White sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, honey, jello, jams, jellies, corn syrup, maple syrup, pudding, hard candy, kool-aid, chocolate chips

bokbadok
07-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Question: is this an arbitrary list, or are these months the best time to buy these items because of lower cost?

prairiemom
07-17-2008, 09:15 PM
See, I would buy meat and soups in Jan or Feb when root crops are getting old and you need to can them into soup. I also buy extra turkeys in Nov, freeze them and can them in Jan or Feb, after the holidays.

And I would buy grains and beans in Aug/Sep when they are being harvested: fresh and at their lowest prices.

Canned milk in Dec, when it's on sale for the holidays. Also other baking supplies in Nov or Dec.

Yes, fruits and veggies in the late summer, early fall.

But that's me because I can a lot and grow most of my own and buy grains/legumes locally. But if you just want to break it down to make sure you cover everything, this is a good list, a good way to do it.