PDA

View Full Version : What is in your 3 month food storage?

TheSwally
08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
I'd like to get some ideas as ours is about as culturally diverse as Utah County. Right now a few of our items are:

1) Chili
2) Soup
3) Dry cereal
4) Spam
5) Canned vegetables and fruit
6) Crackers

NRA
08-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Instant pudding mix.

Earthling
08-21-2008, 02:36 PM
I would add macaroni & cheese, tuna, canned chicken, cookie mix, brownie mix, cake mixes, jello, pudding mix, condiments, spices, extract flavorings (good prices at Gygi's in Salt Lake), pickles, pancake mix, syrup or maple flavoring to make syrup, pie fillings (we use them in a lot of different ways), oil/Crisco, butter, cheese, canned beans, evaporated milk, mayo, ketchup, mustard, noodles (lots of different sizes), bouillon (beef & chicken), hot cocoa mix, juice drink mixes, beef stew, and all sorts of canned tomatoes (juice, whole, chopped, Italian, etc.). Hope that helps!

P.S. All TVP and Spam should be banned.:l0 (20):

mirkwood
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Mac & Cheese
Ramen
Hormel Compleats
Canned soups (especially Chunky)
canned veggies
canned fruits
dry cereal
dry pasta
freezer foods (nukers)
fridge stuff like eggs and cheese etc.
pancake mix
muffin mix
canned chicken
rice
instant rice
gravy mix
chili
pork and beans
instant oatmeal
crackers
etc etc

mirkwood
08-21-2008, 02:45 PM

I guess you didn't know those hamburger enchiladas I had you sample were beef flavored TVP :l0 (20):.

Alma the Younger
08-21-2008, 02:51 PM
I'd some freeze dried Mountain House entres.

They come in #10 cans and have a thirty year shelf life. The only thing that is required is hot water and you have a very tasty meal.

Keep an eye open at Emergency Essentials. They often have very good prices.

419!

mirkwood
08-21-2008, 02:56 PM
I have those too, but I consider them part of my one year supply.

LoudmouthMormon
08-21-2008, 03:16 PM
A freezer full of meat
Whole wheat bread (bought from the 'used bread store' in bulk and frozen)
Peanut butter
Jams and jellies
Soup
Tuna
Bisquick
Apple juice
Assorted canned goods

We're part of a grocery co-op that usually has deals on things like a box of miscellaneous pantry items. It's mostly stuff we never buy, but would be very happy to have if we needed it. A great way to round out with variety.

LM

prairiemom
08-21-2008, 11:04 PM

Ditto! :d0 (21):

Most of our daily diet comes from our 1-yr supply which we are constantly rotating. I consider our 3-mo supply more of our comfort and convenience foods--noodles, pasta, crackers, cereal, cake and muffin mixes, spices and condiments. Except for noodles and cake mixes, I pretty much make everything from scratch.

Oh, and lots of cheese and butter in the freezer.

DMGNUT
08-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Be cautious of having lots of food in the freezer, and considering it as part of your 3 mth or 1 yr food storage. Other than just losing your job (which is something which will most likely pertain to you only), I tend to think a power outage will be probable in most scenarios which necessitate the use of our short or long term food storage.
Just my 2 cents.

phylm
08-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Agreed, Earthling. Our money goes farther buying long term storage food than convenience items. We do have some quick prep, too, however.

phylm
08-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Be cautious of having lots of food in the freezer, and considering it as part of your 3 mth or 1 yr food storage. Other than just losing your job (which is something which will most likely pertain to you only), I tend to think a power outage will be probable in most scenarios which necessitate the use of our short or long term food storage.
Just my 2 cents.

Good advice. I'm trying to store lots of canning jars so that I can save the meat, vegetables, and fruit we have in our freezer in case of a prolonged electrical failure. We're in northern Florida, and have a tropical storm (a hurricane wannabe) coming across the state right now. Winds are only 60 mph or so, but the rains are colossal...30 inches in some eastern communities in the past two days, and I expect we'll see a lot of water, as it is a very slow-moving storm. We've moved our vehicles into the open away from big trees, and filled the bathtub. All set.

Julie
08-21-2008, 11:51 PM
We have a freezer full of meat too. (from the ranch) We invested in a solar freezer that runs off a panel and some batteries.

TheSwally
08-22-2008, 12:23 AM
We have a freezer full of meat too. (from the ranch) We invested in a solar freezer that runs off a panel and some batteries.

WOW! Tell me more. Price, size, where' ya get it, photos if possible...

Julie
08-22-2008, 09:12 AM
http://www.sundanzer.com/images/fridge3_000.jpg

SunDanzer Solar Refrigerators
Save on system costs with SunDanzer DC-powered solar refrigerators and freezers. These highly efficient units with exceptionally low energy consumption require a smaller photovoltaic (PV) system for your refrigeration needs. SunDanzer units feature 4.33" (110 mm) of polyurethane insulation and coated steel cabinets. The brushless DC motor compressor operates on 12 or 24 VDC. A patented low-frost system reduces frost build-up for low maintenance.

SunDanzer chest-style refrigerators and freezers are easy to clean using the drain hole at the bottom of the unit. With thick insulation and a refrigeration system optimized for solar, every SunDanzer solar refrigerator and freezer provides outstanding, economical and reliable operation. Each SunDanzer solar refrigerator is carefully tested before shipment, to ensure every customer will receive a great product that they can enjoy for years to come!

Components needed to run a this Ultra High Efficiency refrigerator or freezer

One 85 watt solar panel : $439.00
Rack for one solar panel : $74.25
15 feet of sunlight resistant wiring : $15.00
One 10 amp fuse : $5.00
BZ240 charge controller : $59.00
2 Trojan T105 batteries : $324.00
1 Xantrex BC1.5 2/0 battery interconnect : $14.76

Grand Total : $931.01

Do a search on the cost of the freezer or fridge. The price varies between $1,000 to $1,300 depending on the size you get. I got the biggest size and I can't remember what it cost me. - Julie

BackBlast
08-22-2008, 07:32 PM
http://www.alphasolar.com/alpha_solar_118.htm for general prices. Looks like you're looking at 900-1000 for a fridge or freezer, after shipping Julie's number may well be on the money. Yes, you want a chest model as you lose less air when you're opening/closing the unit.

http://www.re-solar.com/index.html is a Utah supplier.

4.33" of polyurethane... sweet!

Brandon

BackBlast
08-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Julie, how big would you say these units are? 8.1 ft^3 seems... really small... Maybe my perception is off.

Julie
08-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I have the biggest electric chest freezer I could get and the solar one I got (the biggest 8 cuft) seems to be about half the size. It actually holds quite a bit for something running off solar.

4Lamps
08-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I would add macaroni & cheese, tuna, canned chicken, cookie mix, brownie mix, cake mixes, jello, pudding mix, condiments, spices, extract flavorings (good prices at Gygi's in Salt Lake), pickles, pancake mix, syrup or maple flavoring to make syrup, pie fillings (we use them in a lot of different ways), oil/Crisco, butter, cheese, canned beans, evaporated milk, mayo, ketchup, mustard, noodles (lots of different sizes), bouillon (beef & chicken), hot cocoa mix, juice drink mixes, beef stew, and all sorts of canned tomatoes (juice, whole, chopped, Italian, etc.). Hope that helps!

But my husband likes Spam :)

NRA
08-22-2008, 09:58 PM
But my husband likes Spam :)Me too!

BackBlast
08-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Spam isn't bad if you're not eating it every day.

We have lots of canned beans, vegetables, fruit, organic brown rice, pasta, and a few other odds and ends for our 3 month supply.

DavidA
08-23-2008, 11:08 AM
If most members store a three month storage of what they eat everyday, then they might include:

Candy
Pop
Chips and Salsa
Doughnuts
Ice Cream
Cookies
And all the kinds of refreshments had at Ward activites.
Etc.:yummie:

Cowboy
08-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Does that include green jello with carrot shavings on the top?

DMGNUT
08-23-2008, 01:26 PM
David, how'd you get my food storage list??? :l0 (20):

DavidA
08-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Well, I would add the green jello. But, Cowboy, you just about made me wretch when you add shaved carrots to it.:ack2:

I have experienced it and it was one of the greatest tests of my love for others, even though I like carrots, but certain combinations of things just don't make any sense! Its like, if you put a marshmallow on top of your hot chocolate, instead, you try to put a Brusselssprout there. It defies all common sense!:sadley:

fwiw
08-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Just my 2 cents.

"Red Feather" (out of New Zealand) offers some fairly tasty canned butter and cheese, as well as beef and other more common canned goods. We order it online. The butter runs about $4+ a can.

Lucy
08-23-2008, 10:12 PM
My daughter suggested the individual packages of mustard, ketchup and Mayo that need no refrigeration. Those would surely be nice when there's no power.

MountainGirl
08-23-2008, 10:35 PM
I thought that butter was way more expensive. Anyway, CANDY CANDY CANDY.

DavidA
08-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't think the three months supply of foods we use everyday necessarily means the church suspects losses of electricity etc. For example, if the bird flu pandemic spreads, it doesn't mean there would not be people to maintain power and other utilities. We've had pandemics in the past. I remember 1967, but I don't even remember that pandemic. 1918 was apparantly much more severe, but I know my Grandparents and their families made it through unscathed.

I don't believe the entire population will be quarantined in the event of a pandemic. I think the long term preparations include all possibilites. So, while I won't count on electricity as I build my long term storage, the three month storage can include things like frozen meats, vegetable, etc.

Anyway, it's just something to consider.

BackBlast
08-24-2008, 03:34 PM
My daughter suggested the individual packages of mustard, ketchup and Mayo that need no refrigeration. Those would surely be nice when there's no power.

We've done this, they don't last very long so you constantly need to rotate stock.

BackBlast
08-24-2008, 03:42 PM
I don't think the three months supply of foods we use everyday necessarily means the church suspects losses of electricity etc. For example, if the bird flu pandemic spreads, it doesn't mean there would not be people to maintain power and other utilities. We've had pandemics in the past. I remember 1967, but I don't even remember that pandemic. 1918 was apparantly much more severe, but I know my Grandparents and their families made it through unscathed.

We have never had a pandemic where the government has forced quarantine. If such a thing were to happen, the results are quite unpredictable.

Without electricity, we end up with TEOTWAWKI. I would expect the grid to stay up if it is humanly possible to keep it up. But I would not expect power to be anywhere near regular. Rolling regular brownouts or maybe only having power during certain times of the day.

Brandon

Buttercup
08-24-2008, 06:29 PM
David, I can't agree more about jello and carrots...bleh!

The flu of 1918 feels very real to me because my great-grandmother died because of it. She had gotten the flu and recovered, then thinking she now had immunity, she nursed her sister and died. She left a one month old baby and four other children. So sad...

Max140
08-24-2008, 09:52 PM
The 3 month supply has been the hardest part of storage for me. I think the key is to have and keep a well stocked pantry to go with it. I look at the recipes I am making and see if they can be made with items from my 3 month supply with a little substitution (i.e. canned veggies for fresh, etc). I have found that there are a lot of things I can make. Canned tomatoes and tomato paste are essential (spaghetti, casseroles, pizza (grill it and it isn't bad with or without cheese). I like to keep some masa and its cinco de mayo!!!!! You can cook the tortillas on the grill, stove, or open fire. Canned Garbanzo beans make a great hamburger. (My friend Kapriel says that it makes a good fake egg salad sandwich too). Canned meat is great. You need salmon to go with the crackers so that you can make salmon patties. Some dream whip for a little ambrosia salad. Add cheese whiz to canned veggies and some broth and you have a killer cheese chowder. See how easy it is to spice up your 3 month supply? Just ask yourself if you could use a different method of cooking and what substitutions can you make.

DavidA
08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Brandon,

I don't discount any possibility. While I don't believe things will get that bad, at least in the near future, we still need to be prepared for all posibilities.

One thing I consider when pondering these things includes just how cooperative the local population would be, even if the government tried to force something like mandatory quarentine on the public. The public would know it was wrong and against the public interest, and would react, whether it be peaceful disobedience or outright open challenging.

Anyway , this is just a thought as I try to look at things from all angles.

As for the 1918 pandemic, Buttercup, I went to a cemetery in Springville, Utah to confirm information with my geneology. As I was looking around I noticed many headstones that mentioned the death was due to the pandemic. I was amazed at how many peopled were struck and wondered if Springville was hit harder than other areas, or if that was the norm. My Grandparents lived in the country, so maybe they avoided being exposed.

Anyway, history does often repeat itself, so the best thing to do is be prepared for anything.

waif69
12-28-2008, 05:49 PM
One thing that we have recently added to our food storage is the packets of lemon and lime called True Lemon and True Lime, they are dehydrated lemon juice and lime juice and are great to have to spice up a foodstuff or drink and don't take up much room and don't weigh much. They are also great to take camping too.

JayE
12-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Spam isn't bad if you're not eating it every day.

You could have left the last two words off of that sentence.

hiccups
12-28-2008, 09:35 PM
One thing that we have recently added to our food storage is the packets of lemon and lime called True Lemon and True Lime, they are dehydrated lemon juice and lime juice and are great to have to spice up a foodstuff or drink and don't take up much room and don't weigh much. They are also great to take camping too.

Any idea about the shelf life of these packets? I see that each packet has 25% of daily Vit C requirements. Mighty handy for fighting off scurvy in tough times perhaps.

hiccups
12-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Whoops, I just found the answer to my own question on the product website. they say 2 years. That's doable.

signseeker
12-29-2008, 09:30 AM
We have lots of cream of chicken soup. The kids really love that. We can use it with rice or make a creamy pasta thing with it or use it for gravy over mashed potatoes. Also add stuff (beans, veggies, whatever) to it and make a more substantial soup.

prairiemom
12-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Here's a substitute Cream of Chicken, cheaper with a longer shelf life:

Instant Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute

In any recipe calling for Cream of Chicken concentrate, substitute the following:

1 3/4 C Water

5 Tbsp bean flour

4 tsp chicken bullion or soup base

Bring water and base to a boil. Whisk in bean flour. Cook on med-low for 2 minutes. Blend 2 minutes at high speed. Mixture will thicken as it cools. Can be refrigerated up to 1 week.

hiccups
12-29-2008, 12:12 PM
One noteworthy item in our 3 month supply is a few #10 cans of nacho and cheddar cheese sauces from Sam's.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=190241

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=190622

They are only $5.63 for a #10 at my local Sam's. To give an idea of taste and quality, the nacho cheese tastes exactly like the stuff you get at the movie theater. However, it tastes much better with the addition of fresh whole milk or sour cream. (In fact, I made a nacho cheese queso for a ward function by adding milk, salsa, chicken and oregano that got much praise. And some initial disbelief from recipe seekers that I had started with the industrial canned stuff.)

One can makes about 5-6 meals/casseroles for our family. When we open a can, we put the extra in zipbags and freeze it. It thaws well in the fridge and even in lukewarm sink water. Nuking it to thaw can mess with the texture. I can usually find it with a best by date on the can of almost a year out, so I buy accordingly.

And if a time comes that we don't have a way to add fresh dairy to the stuff, I think we'll just be glad to have any kind of cheese at all. (All those beans sound a lot more palatable with cheese sometimes, no?)

waif69
12-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Mmmm, cheese and beans. Now I want to toss my lunch and make cheese and beans. thanks buddy! grr.

KF7EEC
12-29-2008, 11:36 PM

In any recipe calling for Cream of Chicken concentrate, substitute the following:

1 3/4 C Water

5 Tbsp bean flour

Bring water and base to a boil. Whisk in bean flour. Cook on med-low for 2 minutes. Blend 2 minutes at high speed. Mixture will thicken as it cools. Can be refrigerated up to 1 week.

How does one make bean flour?

prairiemom
12-29-2008, 11:42 PM
How does one make bean flour?

Just like you do wheat flour--stick it in the grinder. Most grain mills will grind beans. For soups and thickening I use light colored beans--like navy. For instant refried beans I use pinto. You can make other instant soups with split pea flour or black bean flour.

signseeker
12-30-2008, 01:16 AM

1 3/4 C Water

5 Tbsp bean flour

Refrigerated for one week is a "longer shelflife" ??:001_huh:

mirkwood
12-30-2008, 01:17 AM

Where did you get that? I want some for my storage.

waif69
12-30-2008, 08:25 AM
You should be able to find them in your local grocery stores in the spice aisle. If you can't find them I think Amazon sell them.

hiccups
12-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Here's what I found on the product website:

main site: http://www.truelemon.com

a page to find retailers: http://www.truelemon.com/purchase.cfm

online retailer options (which is probably a better price if you're buying bulk): http://www.truelemon.com/purchaseonline.html a couple of places are running promos currently... looks like some price comparison action might be called for.

hiccups
12-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Ok, here's the best deal I found on the true lemon and true lime. I'm assuming you want a case of 500 of each (or can get a group together that wants that much.)

http://www.coffeeforless.com/sub_category.asp?id=556&ovchn=OTHER&ovcpn=True+Lemon&ovcrn=True+Lemon&ovtac=AD-

the link page from the true lemon site says that you can get 10% off true lemon or true lime if you use the coupon code "lemon" at checkout. Their price for a 500 ct box of true lemon is $33 and true lime is the same. Free shipping on orders over $50. So, for a case of each including free shipping is $59.40 (I loaded up a cart to test this and it worked. Not buying for real today, though.)

prairiemom
12-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Refrigerated for one week is a "longer shelflife" ??:001_huh:

Not the prepared product, of course. :wink (4): It's the dry ingredients that have a longer shelf life. You can keep lots of beans and bullion--the equivalent of several cases of can--in storage for a long, long time. And it will take up less room.

signseeker
12-30-2008, 09:52 AM
I knew that. :l0 (20):

waif69
12-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Sardines!

mirkwood
12-30-2008, 04:22 PM
nasty fish

mirkwood
12-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh sorry, I thought this was the word association thread. :l0 (61):

waif69
12-30-2008, 06:27 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol (2):

KF7EEC
12-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Just like you do wheat flour--stick it in the grinder.

That was my guess. Thanks!

sparrow
01-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Basic:
Vitamins:Tins of fruit and veg. Veg is divided into green, orange and other. Some tinned apricot nectar and fruit juices. Sachets of vitamin c drinks (tang here doesn't seem to have a vitamin c level on the bottle). Vitamin C
Protein:tinned beans, tuna, salmon, other, peanut paste, felafel mix (not for making felafels but to use instead of tvp).
Ready carbs: creamed corn, corn kernels.
Instant meals: tinned soups and meals etc.
Calcium: powdered milk, kraft sliceable no fridge cheese. Calcium Tablets.
Other: rice, pasta, noodles, cocoa, dried beans, instant potato mash, couscous, cocoa, oats, raw sugar, oatmeal, organic unbleached plain flour, yeast, wheatgerm, raisins, dried cranberries, jelly, instant custard, vegemite, tins of coconut milk, olive oil, ghee, dessicated coconut (Anzac biccies of course), honey, golden syrup, dried veg, lentils and such, chocbuds, crackers.

Tip one: rice flour. This will make a basic white sauce instead of cornflour (without the oil or tendency to lumps). Use this for making sweet sauces, gravies from leftover juices and soups. You can make sweet or sour: apricot and chocolate sauce or creamed chicken. You can use the left over juices from tinned fruit and veg, cooking or add herbs and spices. Another good base to use is potato mash powder varying the amounts for consistency.

Tip two: bottles of vinegar. A study was done where wiping your chopping board with vinegar killed more germs than hot water and soap. Wiping it over your kitchen benches also discourages ants.

Also lots of paper plates, cups and towels. Useful if looking after people from a disaster area or in times of sickness.

Charlene
03-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Recently learned to can meats and have been set free! A kind woman in my area taught me to can boneless, skinless chicken breasts, ground beef, beef chunks, pork loin, sausage balls and patties, and I couldn't be happier. Found chicken on sale for .99 and even for $1.19 lb for boneless breasts and canned a year's supply of it and the pork loin for $1.59 lb. Waiting for more beef to go on sale and can more. This has been so liberating for me. Has allowed me to really round out my storage for the way we eat. Have found that I actually use less meat (about a pint for our family of four) for most meals, although sometimes I need to use 2. Love the time savings and convenience too. My family loves it. Had to really get after my teen girls for stealing the chicken all the time. They make quesadillas or add it to pasta often. Caught them adding it to commercially canned clam chowder and had to put a stop to that! Was delighted with the sausage balls. I open a jar and place some on a paper towel and microwave them for a few seconds and the kids have a quick breakfast. However, be sure to use a sausage your family really likes. Bought Farmland on sale 10 for $10 and was really disappointed - grissly. Asked the butcher at the grocery store which sausage he felt was best. He said you want to look for a brand that has "whole hog" in it. He looked through the entire case and couldn't find one! In the end he decided based on the ingredients that Tennessee Pride by Odom's was the best. We love it. So now looking for this to go on sale to can.
While the meat looks kinda scary in the jars, it's fantastic! We can't tell the difference once it's added into the dish.
My daughter watches a sitcom called King of Queens. In one episode the main character and his friend are poking about the back yard of a man that is a gyneacologist. They peak through his kitchen window and Doug says, "Oh my gosh! He's got vaginas in jars." His friend replys, "Doug, I think those are peaches." As stated...these don't look pretty - but they sure are wonderful if you can get past that.

Earthling
03-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I just read about canning meat from Wendy DeWitt (I posted the info on a thread) and have been thinking about doing it. Thanks so much for the post! I may not have to store yucky TVP after all.

threepercent
03-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I can help here if anyone needs it.

also, home canned tuna is the best!

chefddr
05-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Wheat, flour, sugar, honey, jams and jelly, peanut butter, broths, rice, pasta, tomatoes, oil, veggies, beans, beans and more beans, milk, dry and evaporated, 40# of salt, some fruit, need more, always stocking and feeling like I will never have enough

Highlandsunrise
05-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Wheat, flour, sugar, honey, jams and jelly, peanut butter, broths, rice, pasta, tomatoes, oil, veggies, beans, beans and more beans, milk, dry and evaporated, 40# of salt, some fruit, need more, always stocking and feeling like I will never have enough

:iagree:That says it. We are also constantly stocking and always wondering if it will be enough. If we are storing what we use, though, that is what we need to do. The stuff that we don't use will eventually be wasted. The waste part is so painful.

silverstate51
05-09-2009, 11:14 PM
The stuff that we don't use will eventually be wasted. The waste part is so painful.

Then don't waste it. If something is within a few months of getting tossed, then donate it a needy family. I'm sure your Bishop knows of someone who's been having financial difficulty, maybe he could get it where it would be of use.

"Let us be self-sufficient, and assist others in becoming so." - Me

Earthling
05-09-2009, 11:21 PM
I never know when it will go bad until it goes bad and I find a leaky can, bugs, it is rancid, etc. Sigh. Or it could be like the 15 year old canned chicken that I was afraid to eat let alone give to someone else. Seems like my biggest problem is stuff going rancid (those peanut M&Ms are hard to store!). I was really mad when my one gallon can of Baskin & Robbins hot fudge started leaking . . . guess I saved it for a special occasion with a lot of people too long.

Hey - next GLO gathering for a real adventure we could bring our questionable food for potluck! :l0 (40): :scared:

mirkwood
05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Yea we can test it first for edibility on the dogs.

http://rulingcatsanddogs.com/contents/funny-pics/page-3/large-files/funny-dog-throwing-up-head-in-toilet-picture.jpg

Earthling
05-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Since dogs eat anything - guess we'll test it to see if it will make you sick or kill you on the dogs. :l0 (46):

arbilad
05-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Yea we can test it first for edibility on the dogs.

http://rulingcatsanddogs.com/contents/funny-pics/page-3/large-files/funny-dog-throwing-up-head-in-toilet-picture.jpg

I don't know that this will help. Dogs will eat stuff that humans never would, and not get sick from it either. For instance, our dog considers our cat litter boxes to be free treat boxes. Even if a human would eat the contents of a litter box, he would most likely get sick.

chefddr
05-10-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't know that this will help. Dogs will eat stuff that humans never would, and not get sick from it either. For instance, our dog considers our cat litter boxes to be free treat boxes. Even if a human would eat the contents of a litter box, he would most likely get sick.
I always thought I was the only one who had a dog who would do that! Well the dog is gone so I will test things on the teenager!! He gets on my last nerve anyway :l0 (44):

Cowboy
05-10-2009, 06:51 PM
I say we feed it to mirkwood first. Save the dogs!

Earthling
05-10-2009, 10:52 PM
This cat litter box thing confirmed my opinion about dogs . . .

signseeker
05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
I never feel like I have enough T.P. or paper towels or tampons.

I'm sure all the food's been mentioned. I do keep those tuna-sized cans of ham to use in the split pea soup.

Aldon
05-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Once I got the basics collected, I started buying red feather butter and cheese and canned bacon and other meats.

And lots of the #10 cans of tomato's for spaghetti and stuff.

And so far about 45 pounds of chocolate chips.

DMGNUT
05-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm currently at 500 on the rolls of TP... I think that's enough. :001_tongue:

Earthling
05-12-2009, 07:20 AM
I'm currently at 500 on the rolls of TP... I think that's enough. :001_tongue:

wow - how do you have space to store that much? Are you making sure you rotate it properly? :l0 (59):

threepercent
05-12-2009, 08:18 AM
wow - how do you have space to store that much? Are you making sure you rotate it properly? :l0 (59):

thats a crappy job.

mirkwood
05-12-2009, 10:34 AM
wow - how do you have space to store that much?

We probably have that much too. It's not hard to store it.

signseeker
05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Just got 80 more canning jars at DI - YESSSSS!

DMGNUT
05-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Once put out for use, it's rotated frequently.

thomasusa
04-07-2012, 01:07 PM

I found a source of True Lemon and True Lime that is better than the source:
$32.95 plus SH http://www.truelemonstore.com/detail/TLM+00-1010L

But I found a better deal at:
$23.17 plus SH http://search.simplysolutionsinc.com/b/q?k=true+lemon+500&search.x=0&search.y=0&sn=9140097&cnd_lvl=

My mother did raise some dummies that those are my brothers.

Baconator
04-07-2012, 01:55 PM
I was looking for something else, but simplysolutionsinc.com has got me sooo sidetracked.

mirkwood
04-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Me too. I've been trying to find powdered lime/lime flavor so I can put it in storage for future seasoning/flavoring.

Is that what this is?

Gingersnap
04-08-2012, 03:44 AM
I have purchased freeze dried or powdered lime / lemon juice from the San Francisco Herb Company. You can order online and it comes in bulk. Check it out.