PDA

View Full Version : Canning Butter

Earthling
10-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Has anyone tried this? I know someone that does it but a little different method.

CANNING BUTTER

Jars of canned butter
1. Use any butter that is on sale. Lesser quality butter requires more shaking (see #5 below), but the results are the same as with the expensive brands.
2. Heat pint jars in a 250 degree oven for 20 minutes, without rings or seals. One pound of butter slightly more than fills one pint jar, so if you melt 11 pounds of butter, heat 12 pint jars. A roasting pan works well for holding the pint jars while in the oven.
3. While the jars are heating, melt butter slowly until it comes to a slow boil. Using a large spatula, stir the bottom of the pot often to keep the butter from scorching. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes at least: a good simmer time will lessen the amount of shaking required (see #5 below). Place the lids in a small pot and bring to a boil, leaving the lids in simmering water until needed.
4. Stirring the melted butter from the bottom to the top with a soup ladle or small pot with a handle, pour the melted butter carefully into heated jars through a canning jar funnel. Leave 3/4" of head space in the jar, which allows room for the shaking process.
5. Carefully wipe off the top of the jars, then get a hot lid from the simmering water, add the lid and ring and tighten securely. Lids will seal as they cool. Once a few lids "ping," shake while the jars are still warm, but cool enough to handle easily, because the butter will separate and become foamy on top and white on the bottom. In a few minutes, shake again, and repeat until the butter retains the same consistency throughout the jar.
6. At this point, while still slightly warm, put the jars into a refrigerator. While cooling and hardening, shake again, and the melted butter will then look like butter and become firm. This final shaking is very important! Check every 5 minutes and give the jars a little shake until they are hardened in the jar! Leave in the refrigerator for an hour.
7. Canned butter should store for 3 years or longer on a cool, dark shelf. [It does last a long time. We have just used up the last of the butter we canned in 1999, and it was fine after 5 years.] Canned butter does not "melt" again when opened, so it does not need to be refrigerated upon opening, provided it is used within a reasonable length of time.

arbilad
10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
I know people who have tried it. It does change the taste somewhat. I keep meaning to try it. But you can also buy canned butter that will store basically forever. Go to www.mredepot.com, for instance.

Earthling
10-09-2008, 10:37 AM
You can also buy it from http://www.internet-grocer.net/butter.htm but it is very expensive - about $6 for a 9 oz can. I put in a group order for our ward. Macey's also had it on their case lot sale this last month.

signseeker
10-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Yes! Macey's! That's where I saw it... I remember thinking, Hmm... this looks intellesting... but it looked kinda' "foreign" so I wasn't sure.... I'm gonna' get some next time.

arbilad
10-09-2008, 10:48 AM
It is canned overseas. As is the cheese you can get from those websites. I still want to order a lot of it.

mirkwood
10-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I have both. The butter was okay, but the cheese was pretty good. I have a case of each.

waif69
10-09-2008, 12:10 PM
What is the purpose of shaking the butter?

signseeker
10-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Cuz on that cold night, furnace long dead, eating your last varmint you trapped with your last jar of peanut butter you can open it up and find... ICE CREAM!! :w00t:

Okay, just joking. Read #5 again. :coool:

waif69
10-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Oh, that makes sense now.

Molly
10-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Has anyone tried this? I know someone that does it but a little different method.

CANNING BUTTER

Jars of canned butter
1. Use any butter that is on sale. Lesser quality butter requires more shaking (see #5 below), but the results are the same as with the expensive brands.
2. Heat pint jars in a 250 degree oven for 20 minutes, without rings or seals. One pound of butter slightly more than fills one pint jar, so if you melt 11 pounds of butter, heat 12 pint jars. A roasting pan works well for holding the pint jars while in the oven.
3. While the jars are heating, melt butter slowly until it comes to a slow boil. Using a large spatula, stir the bottom of the pot often to keep the butter from scorching. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes at least: a good simmer time will lessen the amount of shaking required (see #5 below). Place the lids in a small pot and bring to a boil, leaving the lids in simmering water until needed.
4. Stirring the melted butter from the bottom to the top with a soup ladle or small pot with a handle, pour the melted butter carefully into heated jars through a canning jar funnel. Leave 3/4" of head space in the jar, which allows room for the shaking process.
5. Carefully wipe off the top of the jars, then get a hot lid from the simmering water, add the lid and ring and tighten securely. Lids will seal as they cool. Once a few lids "ping," shake while the jars are still warm, but cool enough to handle easily, because the butter will separate and become foamy on top and white on the bottom. In a few minutes, shake again, and repeat until the butter retains the same consistency throughout the jar.
6. At this point, while still slightly warm, put the jars into a refrigerator. While cooling and hardening, shake again, and the melted butter will then look like butter and become firm. This final shaking is very important! Check every 5 minutes and give the jars a little shake until they are hardened in the jar! Leave in the refrigerator for an hour.
7. Canned butter should store for 3 years or longer on a cool, dark shelf. [It does last a long time. We have just used up the last of the butter we canned in 1999, and it was fine after 5 years.] Canned butter does not "melt" again when opened, so it does not need to be refrigerated upon opening, provided it is used within a reasonable length of time.

I have canned about 400 bottles of butter, doing this method. Yes, it does taste a little bit different. But, it is good. I used the 1/2 pints. Was a fun project. The best part was doing it with my daughters & friends. Familes who can butter together stay together.

Molly

Equanimity
10-13-2008, 03:48 PM
FYI, I did this method and 3 years later its ALL spoiled and nasty, most of it was gone at the 1 year mark. Theres no protection for botulism in this and since you can't see, taste or smell botulism I would certainly skip this recipe. Last thing you want is to die of botulism in the PHTF senario.

phylm
10-13-2008, 09:24 PM
How would botulism get into butter?

prairiemom
10-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Botulism is always present in food. It thrives in anaerobic conditions. It is killed by heat and acid. Butter is a low-acid food and so for safe canning should be pressure canned. There is no canning method for butter that has been tested and proven to be safe.

Equanimity
10-14-2008, 07:33 PM
How would botulism get into butter? Have you seen a commercial milking operation? Lets just say, yuck. Cow manure ends up in the milk, they strain it out and pasteurize it. That pasteurization doesn't kill the botulism thats in the cow manure.