PDA

View Full Version : Wheat News - Important Info for FS

Charsee
10-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Last year's crop was 14.9 percent protein, this year's crop will be 13.5 percent protein according to Kitchen Kneads. I know some people only buy Kitchen Kneads wheat because it is a better quality, if that is so, perhaps you want to get your wheat now before the new crop comes in, in November.

I decided to call around and see what grain prices are doing with the "commodities" prices being so low. No one has heard of prices coming down lower except for the Kitchen Kneads lady because of the poorer protein content this year.

It is harvest season and delivery is hard to get at some places...which is unusual. Walton Feed orders are 12 weeks out for delivery. Lehi Roller Mills DOES NOT HAVE WHITE WHEAT and doesn't know when they will get it in, perhaps by the middle of November. (This may be when the new crop comes in but the girl I talked to didn't know.)

All prices are for 50 lbs.

Church Cannery still the low price leader
red wheat 13.50
white wheat 15.70

Honeyville
red wheat 19.25
hard white 19.25
hulled barley 22.83
rye 25.71
oat groats 29.99
corn yellow 15.67
corn white 14.79

Lehi Roller Mills
red wheat 27.99 (20.99 on sale at their store)
white wheat (out)

Kitchen Kneads -
white wheat 23.95 (14.9 percent protein)
red wheat 23.95
hulled barley 27.95
rye 29.95
oat groats 26.49
pop corn 31.95

Walton Feed
hard red wheat 23.50
White wheat 25
pop corn 24.05
rye (56#) 21.65

Sam's Club
pop corn 16.58 ***
whole wheat 18.78 (not sure what weight less than 50 pounds)

PLEASE CHECK ALL PRICES AND AVAILABILITY BEFORE GOING ANYWHERE, I have been know to occasionally be wrong...http://www.ldsavow.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Prices still may come down to reflect current commodity prices but I doubt (unless there is further deflation) that the prices will come down lower than the cannery prices...

White wheat is available at the Magna Cannery but they are only open a couple of nights a week for dry pack and their schedule is full through the rest of the year. They usually only allow people with appointments to come although they sometimes allow walk-ins at their 5 and 7 o'clock appointments or you can call between 9-2 to see if they had any cancellations. Most other canneries expect to have it by January. The church has plenty of white wheat...it is just getting it bagged and distributed that is taking time. Since most canneries that take appointments are booked out for months, it might be a good time to make an appointment...

prairiemom
10-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm a big advocate of getting commodities from local sources. This week our stake organized a bulk wheat order from a local farmer. The cost is $10/60lb bag, less than 17?/lb. That's hard red wheat from this year's harvest. We are getting pinto beans from a local farmer for 42?/lb, in 50 lb bags.

I understand the church is still having trouble stocking all the HSC's. They've contacted this farmer that we got wheat from to supply the HSC in Mpls. Our stake president is a big name in wheat research and works for our local USDA Extension. His wife told me the church is contacting farmers in different regions to supply the HSC's in that region.

Charsee
10-31-2008, 05:25 PM
That is so cool that you can get it from the source.

9peeps
11-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info...it's greatly appreciated.:l0 (62):

signseeker
11-12-2008, 05:32 PM
9peeps-- I LOVE that picture! It's framed and in my kitchen! Reminds me of the Isaiah scripture about how oft would I have gathered you like a hen gathereth her chickens... etc... Awesome. :l0: