PDA

View Full Version : Poll: 37% of Americans Unable to Locate America on Map of America

waif69
12-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Washington, D.C. -- According to a Gallup/Harris poll released Monday, a full 37 percent of American citizens are incapable of identifying their home country on a map of the United States.

Of the 1,400 residents surveyed, the most common incorrect responses placed the more than 230-year-old territory in the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans (19 percent), the space where Mexico would appear were it in fact included on the map (10 percent), and inside the word "America" written just above the northernmost states (6 percent).

"On the whole, these figures should be construed as somewhat disappointing," Gallup spokesman Keith Ventner said. "Especially the two percent that believed the United States was located on the map's color-coded inset legend. I think we as a nation likely could have done without seeing that."

When asked to reveal the identity of the giant America-shaped landmass found on the map, several of those polled were decidedly varied in their answers.

I guess this is what happens with the No Child Left Behind Program, they all get advanced, but they don't have to know anything. My wife, who is a public ed teacher still asks why we have a Dept of Education. Once again, you get the feds involved with something and it all falls apart.

signseeker
12-16-2008, 02:25 AM
I was getting ready to make a crack about - Well, they can sure find the border, but we're talking about citizens??? Heaven help us.

prairiemom
12-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't know how to post a video here, but this is one of my all-time favorites from Yes, Minister: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLDb2V86Ei0 He hits the nail on the head--more than once.

ghostcat
12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't know how to post a video here, but this is one of my all-time favorites from Yes, Minister: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLDb2V86Ei0 He hits the nail on the head--more than once.
One of my all time favorite shows!!!!!:thumbup:

signseeker
12-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Remember that - who was she? Miss Alabama or something from a year or two ago? Oh, my gawsh! :bonk: