PDA

View Full Version : Group Buy Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar

penitent
01-05-2009, 12:49 PM
(I am posting the following for my brother.)

Hi everyone.

I found a source a little while back for some vital storage items, as well as other things to make life a little nicer.
One critical storage item that many people forget or neglect is cooking oil. It will be indispensable if you need to live off your storage. At least one source recommends a minimum of 2.85 gal/ year per person (1oz daily).
There are many kinds of oil and certainly some cheap vegetable oil can fill part of this requirement, but the health benefits, high nutrient value, and flavor of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, make it an excellent choice.
I have purchased oil from this suppler before and I found their claims of unsurpassed flavor and freshness to be spot on. I bought 2 gallons last time and thought to put some in storage but it was so good we have used most of it up.
We are placing another order now and wanted to share the opportunity with our friends and family, not to mention the fact that a larger group order reduces costs for everyone.

So here is the deal.

The EVOO is $161/ case of 6 gal in opaque containers (for UV protection)
This is so fresh it is not even packaged until we order, which really helps shelf life!

If you don't want a full case divide by 6. Also there is a 35# container that holds 4.62 gal for $118.50

We will calculate shipping when the order is complete and give everyone a last chance to approve their total.

You will not be dissatisfied with this oil, unless of course you actually like flavorless nearly rancid mass produced EVOO.
This oil is Gourmet quality at discount club pricing.

On the subject of the gourmet. There are many more Items available and many varieties of oil. Two items that I am excited about refreshing my stock of are the "Traditional Style" Balsamic Vinegar and the Truffle Oil. These products are absolutely fabulous. The Vinegar is not like the harsh thin stuff you get at the supermarket. It is thick, rich, sweet and mellow, being aged 18 years! Great on salads, meats & gravy, soups, pasta, and yes even fruit or ice cream.
The truffle oil is also delicious and a few drops can transform plain noodles into a fine meal; throw in some tomatoes garlic and balsamic vinegar and you have it!

The Prices on these are:

Traditional style Balsamic Vinegar-

$24/gal

Black or White Truffle Oil-

$9.75/250ml bottle (a little goes a long way, in a year I have not finished a whole bottle)
$17.50/500ml bottle

I know that a lot of you reading this do not know me from Adam and so I don't want to ask anyone to make a complete leap of faith.
If you call me or whoever forwarded this to you and feel confident in placing an order with us that is great. Your prepaid order will be priced as above.
If not and you would like me to take a leap of faith on you, I will prepay for your order for a 10% service charge. (unless it is huge and then we will talk about a deposit also)

Happy New Year to you all, I wish you the best, and a little luck(providence) that we wont have to use our storage this year.

Please help us all out by forwarding this to the wise ants among your friends and family on the Wasatch Front who are stocking up.

Ben Smith
801-856-1558

TheSwally
01-05-2009, 01:47 PM
$26.83 isn't really that great of a price for a gallon of olive oil. I have seen at least 2 other group buys for EVOO the past 6 months at the $20 price per gallon (in stainless steel containers). Has EVOO price increased that much?

penitent
01-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I also have seen it cheaper as well as have purchased it cheaper and likely from the same sources that you are referring to. It is my understanding that this is superior quality. If you want more info feel free to give Ben a call at: 801-856-1558

captkingdom
01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Hello again everybody,

Thanks to those that have already placed their order. We would like to get all orders in by Jan 17th 10:00 am please.

There have been a couple questions that I will respond to to everyone here.

Q. What is the shelf life of EVOO?
A. Shelf life depends on many circumstances. Such as:

Proper storage- Cool and Dark
Proper Packaging- UV shielding
Proper handling- Care not to contaminate open containers
The oil itself- Low Free Fatty Acid level (below .08%) is a good freshness and quality indicator. An early harvest press will have a lower FFA count and a fresher taste. A slightly Greener color and flavor. This makes for a more valuable longer lasting oil. This is what we are buying.

So given the above conditions our oil should maintain its good flavor for 3-4 years and even after flavor starts to suffer, food value will be retained longer. Unfortunately no specific guarantee can possibly be made for a specific shelf life. Other oils may have a life that is only a fraction of this.

Q. Is this the cheapest oil on the market?
A. NO! While this high quality oil is priced competitively with cheaper blends of unknown freshness and quality there are certainly cheaper oils available. Olives crushed earlier in their life-cycles give less oil, but they are "fresher" and have a lower FFA count. They are therefore a little more expensive but longer lasting. As the olives ripen and over ripen they give a much larger oil return, but are nearer to spoiling, and may not even be fit for consumption without processing. The better (less bad) oil is blended by some manufacturers by adding just enough early harvest oil to allow the blend to pass the minimum standard of Extra Virgin. The unfit oil is chemically and heat processed to an flavorless oil which is and much cheaper and is also mixed with 5% or 10% EVOO to create "Light Olive Oil" or "Pure Olive Oil" respectively.

You will detect the freshnes and high aromaticity immediately.

Thanks again, and please do not hessitate to ask any questions you may have.
If I do not know the answer, I will find out.

Ben Smith
801-856-1558

TheSwally
01-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Ben, where are you guys located? If I purchased, could I pick it up in person instead of having it shipped? Also, could you give us the source of this oil, or the website of the producer? I don't want to be a critic, but the first post sounds more like a sales pitch than an offer for a group buy. Are you guys making a profit on this order? I'm just a little concerned.

Thanks,
Swally

Cowboy
01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Administrator Note

This kind of purchase offered by someone in their first post raises some real questions. No one knows who Ben Smith is. I would recommend caution. Especially when a close deadline is give. Unless the person who is providing this service provides proof that this is a bonafide offer and that this is not a scam I would be very careful how you proceed.

Cowboy

penitent
01-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I think it is a pretty big assumption on your part that this is not a bonafide offer and insinuating the high possibility of this being a scam when Ben has offered to front the money out of his own pocket is sadly pathetic.

It just so happens that I agreed to get the word out for Ben. Being a member of providentsaint.com I approached the owner/operator of that forum he (Brian Mecham latterdayconservative.com) suggested that since activity on that forum had been low that I would do better to help my brother by posting it here. That is why it is my first post. I suggested to Ben that he register in order to answer questions that arise.

Swally, after you spoke with Brian Mecham and confirmed that he knew my brother it would have been nice of you to let the air out of this scam talk business by posting your findings for the rest to see.

Thanks,

Mike Smith
801-542-9422

Ps. How do you generate interest in a product or products without it sounding like a sales pitch?

brimmm
01-06-2009, 02:50 PM
I just wanted to state...

I do know and trust Ben Smith and Mike Smith, very well. It's definitely not a scam.

Brian Mecham
www.LatterdayConservative.com
www.LDSFreemen.com
www.LDSFreedomForum.com

captkingdom
01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
This is Ben here,
I don't blame anyone for being skeptical, I generally am too.
I did think however that me providing the opportunity for people to participate on a C.O.D. basis would be a good indicator of my honorable intentions.
As a clarification I am NOT OFFERING TO SHIP ANYTHING TO ANYBODY. All orders will need to be picked up in person in the SLC or Provo areas.
I am located in Santaquin.
I hope you can forgive the salesman-like pitch I am just excited about the opportunity to get some great supplies for myself, my friends and family, at a better rate based on a large order. I am also enthusiastic about getting other people excited about food storage and about these products which I have had good personal experience with.
This group purchase is not a for profit venture, but I have tacked on a small amount to cover the hassle and running around when it comes to pick-up time. If anyone out there is not ok with my $2 or $3 on the average order it wont hurt my feelings if you decide not to participate.

Incidentally, why didn't anyone who is skeptical just call me?

Anyway no hard feelings, and as far as the first post thing, I didn't even know that my offer was on your site.
We can still be friends.
If you want to do more research on the company you may like to visit
http://www.evoliveoil.com (http://www.evoliveoil.com/)
If you decide to try to go around me and set up your own group purchase in the future, just drop me an email and see if I want anything ok?
thanks
Ben Smith
801-856-1558
[email protected]

Cowboy
01-06-2009, 04:19 PM
You have to understand that I would hate to have anyone who joined this forum to be taken advantage of. My post of caution did exactly what I wanted it to do. You came with information and others vowed for you. At this point I do not see any reason why anyone would not consider your offer. I only wanted to offend you if this offer was not on the up-and-up.

This forum should be a safe place to be. I hope you understand.

penitent
01-06-2009, 07:21 PM
As a forum administrator myself I understand somewhat. I guess I just expect suspicious threads to be checked up on with PM's, emails, or in this case a phone call before sounding the alarm.

There are of course, no hard feelings. It's good to see that you are watching out for your forum flock. I am glad to have learned of your forum and look forward to being a regular participant.

Thanks,

Mike Smith

Ps. I apologize if I came off a bit harsh.

Cowboy
01-06-2009, 07:40 PM
We also have Vbay that you can sell stuff on. Vbay allows you to post pictures and web links. It works like ebay.

We have no problem selling on this site. In fact we encourage it. We just don't see many first time posters start a group buy.

No hard feelings. I welcome you here and hope you enjoy your visits.

signseeker
01-06-2009, 08:01 PM
I liked the "out in the open" versus the PM approach, cuz then we (the flock) are all instantly up to date. :a0 (8): Baaaaa!

TheSwally
01-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear it's all good. I didn't post immediately after I talked to Brian because I work during the day. Thanks for the info, Ben.

signseeker
01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
You work. A likely story... :sosp:

mirkwood
01-07-2009, 01:08 PM
I liked the "out in the open" versus the PM approach, cuz then we (the flock) are all instantly up to date. :a0 (8): Baaaaa!

Make up your mind, chicken or sheep...myself, I prefer horse. :devil:

signseeker
01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
You can't handle the horse!

signseeker
01-07-2009, 01:19 PM
http://img.bonnint.net/slc/855/85572/8557241.jpg?filter=ksl/gallery1

Oh, look. Mirky's playing Ben Hur again!

ghostcat
01-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Make up your mind, chicken or sheep...myself, I prefer horse. :devil:
I'm surprised "sign" didn't ask you to specify which end of the horse you identify with, after her comment the other day about the guy with the porta potty.:tongue_smilie:

ghostcat
01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
http://img.bonnint.net/slc/855/85572/8557241.jpg?filter=ksl/gallery1

Oh, look. Mirky's playing Ben Hur again! Somebody didn't read the label and washed those horses in hot water!!!! They shrunk!!!!!!!

hmscarrie
04-09-2009, 01:34 AM
What ever happened to this group buy? did anyone here ever buy any or taste the oil in question?