PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Filters, gravity feed $22.50

celebrate life
01-10-2009, 04:07 PM
http://static.monolithic.com/edcircle/waterfilter/index.html

Please check this out. I saw one today and was very impressed, but I would love some other opinions. Apparently this is used in 3rd world countries very successfully and without other methods of purification.

The above price is for the filter, sock and spigot. You provided the buckets/garbage cans/#10 cans or whatever for holding the water.

There are links on that page that show assembly, specs and pricing.

Any ideas or opinions to how this compares to an Aqua Rain or Big Berkey? It certainly is more affordable.

ghostcat
01-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Great find!!!!

mormnlady
01-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I purchased a couple of these and made them for my sons. They look like they will work great. Although I didn't try them out. I just gave them to my sons. I plan on getting a couple more.

ktcottle
01-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Wow - thanks for sharing. Great info.

Back in my college days, I remember being taught an alternative method for purifying water with no filters. This method didn't clean the water, but killed all bacteria in the water - so it could be used to drink without getting sick.

I was instructed - use a CLEAR PLASTIC bottle (like a 2 liter pop bottle) fill the bottle full of water and place the bottle in direct sunlight for 6-8 hours. The UV from the sun will kill any bacteria in the water. My teacher informed us that this method was also used in 3rd world countries, remote towns that couldn't afford filters or access to public water. (NO GLASS, and NO GREEN BOTTLES) - I've never looked up the info to validate his teachings, but he did have a degree in environmential science so I always trusted him (my professor).

Has anyone else heard of this? Your thoughts?

ghostcat
01-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Short answer, yes, and it works, but the water needs to be clear as well.

Ironyak
01-11-2009, 12:37 AM
http://static.monolithic.com/edcircle/waterfilter/images/Paraguay%20Photos%20Drip%20Filter%201%204x3m.jpg (http://static.monolithic.com/edcircle/waterfilter/pic01.html)

My West Jordan blue garbage can is at least twice as big as this girl's garbage can. Think of all the water I can filter! :l0 (59):No disrespect to the girl, I just take issue with drinking from a garbage can, clean or not.

I suppose that makes me a water snob now too.

In all seriousness, we did use something similar to this in Brazil. They were clay filters with a removable media. They worked rather well, as far as I could tell (we didn't get sick).

The filter media, I imagine, is similar to what is found in hand operated water filters. However, this one let's gravity do the work. Not a bad plan if you've ever had to fill more than two water bottles with a hand pump!

Sidenote,

At a ward campout a few years back, one of the ward members made homemade rootbeer. In order to have enough for everyone, he mixed it in a 30 gallon Rubbermaid garbage can. We all prayed that it was a "new" can. The downside, the rootbeer tasted like plastic. It was "undesirable" to say the least. So, I would not recommend using a garbage can for water storage/filtration. And for PR reasons, don't take it to ward parties! :ack2:

Earthling
01-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Does anyone know how long they last i.e. how many gallons of clear water they filter? They look pretty good!

prairiemom
01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
As I look at this more closely, I gotta say this is REALLY cool. Very nice. Thank you!

Earthling
01-12-2009, 02:18 PM
I picked up a couple. They said they will dispense 300 gallons per hour, you should shake them every 3-4 months, they last 6-8 months then the filter needs replacing (probably the sock too). I called to order - they need to wrap them well in freezing temperatures so they don't break in shipping.

foust1012
06-21-2010, 11:50 AM
I picked up a couple. They said they will dispense 300 gallons per hour, you should shake them every 3-4 months, they last 6-8 months then the filter needs replacing (probably the sock too). I called to order - they need to wrap them well in freezing temperatures so they don't break in shipping.

I would certainly recommend the Black Berkey elements. They have a very long and proven track record. I made a Berkey Purifier for about $120.00. i bought just the Black berkey elements for 99.00 at www.berkeyproducts.com, then I found a video on you tube by searching "homemade Berkey". It worked like a charm. And the Berkey Filters will last for 3,ooo gallons each. I put 2 elements in mine, so I should be able to get 6,000 gallons of pure water from the pond by my house. In the long run, the Berkey elements are much cheaper. They can also be re-cleaned.