PDA

View Full Version : Sugar = Gold?

Charsee
03-03-2008, 12:14 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aqa5ay.X5RTY

"All of you should get all the sugar you can. The price of sugar is going to explode.''

I think the case lot sales this month should have sugar at a good price. I was reading about how during the depression one person's mom would steal down into the root cellar at night to get some sugar because she didn't want her neighbors to know she had any because then they would have been angry with her.

Sugar is really easy to store...right?

thermocouple
03-04-2008, 11:49 AM
We have several forms of sugar in our storage.

Granulated white sugar
Powdered sugar
Brown sugar
Pancake syrup
Honey

NRA
03-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Sugar is really easy to store...right?

I heard all you have to do is keep it dry. Doesn't need anything else. Anyone hear different?

thermocouple
03-04-2008, 11:56 AM
We have our brown sugar and powdered sugar stored in their individual bags in buckets. The white granulated sugar is simply in their individual bags in a box. As far as I know your biggest concerns are going to be keeping it dry and of course rodents.

Charsee
03-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Here is another opinion from the same news source saying production has increased so much lately that overproduction is expected. I hope that happens for wheat and other grains too.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aVKkeTX6J7sc&refer=home

TheSwally
03-04-2008, 10:54 PM
We have several forms of sugar in our storage.

Granulated white sugar
Powdered sugar
Brown sugar
Pancake syrup
Honey

How long does syrup store for?

thermocouple
03-05-2008, 08:23 AM
I dont know for sure Swally. We buy several jugs at a time from Costco, and we've never had one show even remote signs of going bad.

kamoil
03-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I dont know for sure Swally. We buy several jugs at a time from Costco, and we've never had one show even remote signs of going bad.

Just be sure you read the label, and purchase the syrup that you DO NOT have to refrigerate. (You never know, when you won't have power, and you may not have the space for a gallon conatiner)

I purchased a one gallon jug of syrup, from Maceys case lot sale, a few years ago, and with out realizing it, I never refigerated it (even though it needed to after opening.) It went bad, real quick. Grew mold, and yucky stuff.

Kam :)

Izzybean
03-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Just be sure you read the label, and purchase the syrup that you DO NOT have to refrigerate. (You never know, when you won't have power, and you may not have the space for a gallon conatiner)

I purchased a one gallon jug of syrup, from Maceys case lot sale, a few years ago, and with out realizing it, I never refigerated it (even though it needed to after opening.) It went bad, real quick. Grew mold, and yucky stuff.

Kam :)

In the past we bought some syrup from Macey's and had no problem. When we were at the case lot sale last week we bought some more, I checked the label to make sure it didn't need to be refrigerated and I couldn't find anywhere on the label that indicated so. It is also the same syrup we have gotten before.

mirkwood
03-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Macey's has 25 lb. bags of WF granulated sugar for $8.99. Best price I have seen in a long long time. I picked up an additional 100 lbs. for storage.