PDA

View Full Version : Are Concentration Camp Type Rations in Your Future?

Charsee
02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Most people don't know that the recommendations for food storage at provident living have changed dramatically in the last few years. Beyond the "three months worth of regular foods" the "longer term supply" is very bare bones indeed (at least that is what we will look like after eating this ration for a while.)

The old:

grains (400 lb)
beans (60 pounds)
oil (10 quarts)
sugar (60 lb)
milk (16 lbs)
salt (8 lbs)

The new:

http://providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7531-1-4062-1,00.html
http://providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7573-1-4070-1,00.html

grains (300 lb)
beans (60 lb)

While the old amounts would make a whole loaf of bread for a day, now it is only three hundred pounds of wheat per year which makes that loaf of bread only 3/4 as big.

Each day you would have 2 cups of grains/beans to work with (1.6 cup grains and 1/3 cup beans per day) or 2/3 cup grains/beans per meal.

Concentration Camp rations at one camp I found included pints of watery soup most meals with a 12 ounce piece of bread with a little something on top. Thicker soup with meat for the main Sunday meal...

On the bright side, those that had a "year supply" in 2002 now have a much longer supply in 2009 based on the newer recommendations.

Earthling
02-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Maybe they are taking into account that so many are overweight and have some "self storage" or could use a diet. :l0 (53):

phylm
02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Considering that only an estimated 15% of member families do have a year's supply, I doubt that it matters very much how much is recommended...too many are going to procrastinate, or refuse to prepare. I'm going to be conducting a prep course again in my present ward. Hope it will be as successful as the one I taught in 2003. I am so concerned about these unprepared families.

SETEX GRANDPAW
02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I believe changing the amounts will have little affect since only about 10% of memebers have listened to the prophet(s) and store food. I have stored food for 40 years and have been amazed at no matter which area I live the story remains the same. Here in Houston, wheat from the store house has been rationed. As that happened, some members became concerned and started to purchase some food storage. I have storage for my wife, our four children, thier spouces and all grand kids. I use 400 pounds per person but include rice in that amount.

Aldon
02-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Maybe they are taking into account that so many are overweight and have some "self storage" or could use a diet. :l0 (53):

I resemble that remark!:001_tongue::l0 (51):

ghostcat
02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
I resemble that remark!:001_tongue::l0 (51):
It's not "overweight" it's just our modular, personal, portable, food storage and we are just more conscientious than others!!!!

DMGNUT
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm cheating and copying my own post from another thread... it seems to fit even better here.

Why do so many people in my ward have Temple recommends?
OK, everyone stand back, cause here comes a rant... And by the way, this is not meant to be, or to even sound like, I'm second guessing or questioning the Church Leadership, I most certainly am not. I just have a few thoughts to air out.
So holy crap, isn't food storage (and every other needful thing) supposed to be a huge priority. Why are so many of the members I see and speak often with, even at the Temple, telling me they do not have their preparedness needs in order? They aren't even close and some aren't even bothering to work on them... at all.
I realize there's no question in the Temple Recommend Interview in regards to food storage, but this bit of guidance, counsel, even commandment, from our Lord to be prepared is pretty dang obvious.
How can one go the Temple with a clear conscience and a pure heart, knowing they are being so blatantly disobedient? Did I miss the memo that says this bit of direction from our Lord is negotiable? or in some way optional?
I don't want to come off sounding like I'm bragging, but I've only been a member for about 3 ?+ years. I have 1 ? years of food for my family of 4 (and it's a good mix of many types, including dried, freeze dried, dehydrated, MREs, etc.). I have 12 of the 55 gallon drums of water, plus several water filtration devises. I have over 1,000 lbs of cooking fuel (split between Odorless Mineral Spirits and charcoal). I have a kerosene stove for the mineral spirits, a volcano stove for the charcoal, and even a nice solar oven to boot. I'm still adding to our food stores and will continue to do so for the rest of my life.
No, I'm not rich, or even anywhere close to being anything more than lower middle class. No, it wasn't easy, but when my family and I first joined the Church, neither was tithing, or giving up booze, or coffee, or? whatever else I was doing that I shouldn't have been.
Now brace yourselves, because here comes the really, really complex part of my rant. You may have to read it twice in order to fully comprehend it's meaning. So read it slow the first time?
"No one ever said it would be easy to follow the Lord, only that it would be worth it."
And by the way, even though I stumble and fall (often), I do feel it's pretty darn easy to follow the Lord? He's always there to help me, when I can't do it alone.
OK, I'm done with the rant...
But this brings us around to nonmembers trying to take your food by force, or in the case of members (the majority of which are not prepared), by coercion, guilt, or perhaps even having church leadership tell you that you have to share. Well... I'm not buying it.
I think this is what will lead (in some instances) to families standing alone or in relatively small groups.
I have a limited amount of food to share with my neighbors, a limited amount to offer to the Bishop to distribute as he sees fit, and will share as I see fit, when moved to do so, by the Spirit.
I agree with DavidA that there may very well be those, who for whatever reason, the Lord will shield from much of the turbulence. Having said that, I tend to agree with the words of Brigham Young, in that, how can I expect the Lord to intervene on my behalf, if I haven't made any effort on my own behalf. Especially when I have the means and am capable of doing so.

Brigham Young said, "We all believe that the Lord will fight our battles; but how? Will He do it while we are unconcerned and make no effort whatever for our own safety when an enemy is upon us? If we make no effort to guard our towns, our houses, our cities, our wives and children, will the Lord guard them for us? He will not; but if we pursue the opposite course and strive to help Him to accomplish His designs, then will He fight our battles. We are baptized for the remission of sins; but it would be quite as unreasonable to expect a remission of sins without baptism, as to expect the Lord to fight our battles without our taking every precaution to be prepared to defend ourselves. The Lord requires us to be quite as willing to fight our own battles as to have Him fight them for us. If we are not ready for an enemy when he comes upon us, we have not lived up to the requirements of Him who guides the ship of Zion, or who dictates the affairs of his kingdom." Journal of Discourses, Vol. 11, p. 131, August 1-10, 1865.

Anyway, its my intention to help whom ever I can, as much as I can. But in regards to members who willfully turned away from the Lord's council, or anyone else for that matter, either members or nonmembers, who attempt to use force... they will meet with well armed and well trained individuals who will be as kind, or as violent, as we are forced to be, when turning them away.