PDA

View Full Version : Gourmet Cooking w/ Food Storage

Earthling
02-14-2009, 09:11 PM
I just got this great cookbook and thought I would share the info. It is called "The Everyday Gourmet" by Shari Haag. Anyway, she has put in great recipes using food storage food . . . like dried banana chips, egg, cheese, milk peanut butter powder, TVP, etc. I mean you can cook real food with food storage with these recipes. It includes a section on cooking on a wood stove, in a dutch oven, cooking wild game (beaver tails, wild goose, rabbit, raccoon, muskrat, even bear). It has sections that make sense for food storage i.e. rice, beans, soups, vegetables, fruits, pasta, TVP, breads, muffins, etc. It is 350 pages and cost $17.95 so a pretty good value.

As the resident food snob according to Signseeker, I recommend this cookbook.

Here is the link for more info (no I am not making money or affiliated in any way):
http://www.stevequayle.com/books/Everyday.Gourmet.intro.html

signseeker
02-14-2009, 10:18 PM
So have you made anything out of it yet? Beaver tail, perhaps? :smilewinkgrin:

jocarte
02-14-2009, 10:26 PM
I just read about that cook book the other day.....have you made anything yet?

Earthling
02-15-2009, 12:08 AM
I just got it yesterday so haven't made anything but since I read cookbooks regularly I am pretty good at knowing what recipes are good and this cookbook looks to be a keeper. She went to a gourmet cooking school but the recipes are normal food. She has converted any unusual ingredients into things you could find WTSHTF. For example why eat plain oatmeal when you could have apple oatmeal with spices? No bananas - think you just have to eat those dried things - nope - she has a recipe for banana bread you make with them.

Since I try new recipes as a hobby I think I will save this cookbook so I have some new recipes to try when things get tough . . . you know. . . when I run out of frozen blueberries, my raspberries are out of season - that kind of thing. :tongue_smilie: