PDA

View Full Version : Long-term Supply in cups per day

Charsee
03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7498-1-4070-1,00.html

25 lbs. wheat, white rice, corn, and other grains 5 lbs. dry beans and other legumes for 1 person for 1 month

http://providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/104887_HSOrderFormUSDec007_pdf.pdf

The above form says that a #10 can of wheat is 5.8 lbs, a can of rice is 5.7 lbs and a can of beans is 5.5 lbs.

That would be 1 #10 can of beans per month and 5 #10 cans of wheat or rice.

A years supply would be 52 cans of wheat (53 cans of rice) and 11 cans of beans per person.

63 cans in all or 10 1/2 cases for one person.

http://www.barryfarm.com/How_tos/how...a_pound_of.htm (http://www.barryfarm.com/How_tos/how_many_cups_in_a_pound_of.htm)

If a pound of barley, beans or rice is about 2 cups then I would say a pound of wheat is also 2 cups.

So 5.8 lbs. x 2 cups is approximately 11.6 cups per can.

That would be around 2/5 cup beans and 2 cups grains per day.

I think...If I can still do 5th-6th grade math and that is a big if...please correct me if I am wrong because I am more interested in having the right answer than being right...

What can you make with that or would it just be better to sprout it and forget about cooking?

LarnaE
03-04-2008, 09:31 AM
I am hoping that we will be able to find ways to suplement our long term storage, so that we can have more variety in our diets. I am hoping we can still plant gardens and use our fruit trees. We are going to have to get real good at learning how to stretch out our food. It will be a new way of cooking and eating for all of us. I try to use my food storage so I can get use to cooking with it and my children can get use to eating it, but I still think that it will be a big change. Right now I can still run to the store for this or that item.

zaksewski
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
One thing you have to remember about wheat is that it can be hard on the stomach and needs to be introduced slowly. I started using wheat in our diet as soon as I started storing it. If you suddenly find yourself relying on food storage and are not used to having whole wheat in your diet it could (most likely will) cause diarrhea which you certainly don't need if you have a limited water supply. The last thing you will need to deal with in a state of dissaster is dehydration.

Some ways you can include wheat in your diet is to add it in your soups and stews. It makes a great breakfast cereal (add it to oatmeal when first starting out). If you make homemade bread, use 1/2 fresh ground wheat to 1/2 white flour. You can also add cooked wheat to rice dishes. I like to use 1/2 cooked wheat and 1/2 rice when I make stuffed peppers or cabbage. There is also recipes for making wheat meat (which I haven't quite masterd yet but I'm working on it lol). Of couse wheat sprouts are also great. Also using whold wheat has lots of health bebefits. The important thing is that you need to use the foods you store now so that it is not such a shock to your system when you are forced to use it. It also ensures proper rotation of your storage so that it does not go bad before you need it.

To extend my food storage, I do lot's of canning. If you have a pressure canner, you can can most anything. When I make soups and stews, i always make enough to can some. You can can meats as well which gives you a larger variety in your storage. Although it is not FDA approved, many people can butter and even cheese. I do can these items and have had great results with them (I figure it didn't kill my ancestors so why not lol), the cheese is sharper after canning and the butter needs to be whipped after opening if you want it to spread easily. I also dehydrate alot of foods. Thick soups and gravies can even be dehydrated. These are great for 72 hour kits and camping. Of course when dehydrating you need to do a little investigating to find out storage limitations.

Another thing to consider in your storage is cleaning supplies. I have found it is alot cheaper to store items such as borax, baking soda, washing soda, vinager, soap, and essential oils. You can make up your own cleaners and laundry detergants with these items very quickly and at a fraction of the cost of comercial cleaners.

phylm
03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Corn and beans for succotash (with dried milk.) Corn chowder, dried onions, milk. Chili: I make a chili rice without meat. All, of course, with home made wheat bread. You can also utilize all of your grains in soups...fun to make up new recipes. Do you have lots of herbs, spices, salt, pepper, dried onion, bouillons? I made a shephers's pie today from storage with freeze-dried beef chunks (and made an onion gravy from it), fr.-dried sweet corn, and mashed potato.

Charsee
05-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Just thinking again about what you can do with 2 cups of flour a day and a small cup of beans.

More than that though, my husband wants to get something back from our investment in our long-term storage by USING it...how rude!

Anybody ever read "Charly's Monument?" well my pile of food is called "Char's Monument" and it is NOT TO BE EATEN!

Just kidding. But people around this house eat 2-4 servings of the main course and generous helpings of everything else. Three hundred pounds of food isn't going to go very far until we are on starvation rations.

Alma the Younger
05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Zaksewski posted:

"Although it is not FDA approved, many people can butter and even cheese. I do can these items and have had great results with them (I figure it didn't kill my ancestors so why not lol), the cheese is sharper after canning and the butter needs to be whipped after opening if you want it to spread easily."

If you do not want to go the do-it-yourself route for canning butter and cheese, you can always buy canned butter and cheese. I have purchased cases of this and have found it to be outstanding.

http://www.internet-grocer.net/butter.jpg

http://www.internet-grocer.net/krftches.gif

The items have a nearly indefinate shelf-life and are true to taste. They sure make a nice addition to a food storage program.

Link for purchase (http://www.internet-grocer.net/product.html)

419!

Equanimity
05-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Oh yes that butter is super yummy. Use the code "fluwikie" for 20% off. ;0)

Cowboy
05-27-2008, 10:27 PM
The code has expired.

Equanimity
05-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Oh bummer.

sunsinger
05-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Just thinking again about what you can do with 2 cups of flour a day and a small cup of beans..

If a pound of barley, beans or rice is about 2 cups then I would say a pound of wheat is also 2 cups.

Wouldn't 2 cups of wheat makes less than 2 cups flour when ground up once the air has settled out of it?

Equanimity
05-29-2008, 09:51 AM
I think 2 cups grinds up to close to 3, enough to make a loaf of bread.

bokbadok
05-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Just thinking again about what you can do with 2 cups of flour a day and a small cup of beans.

Note: two cups of wheat ground into flour is much more than two cups. More like 3-4. I'm just sayin'...

phylm
05-29-2008, 02:55 PM
And whole wheat bread and good ol' bean soup is a perfect food.

Charsee
05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Note: two cups of wheat ground into flour is much more than two cups. More like 3-4. I'm just sayin'...

Your right, should have said "two cups grain." My bad.:o16:

Charsee
08-29-2010, 08:07 PM
For 31 day month

1,187 Calories of grains, almost 2 cups per day
243 Calories of beans, 1/3 cup per day

Total - 1,430 Total Calories per day

I decided to go through my numbers again in a different way for accuracy...here are my results...just using red wheat and white beans as examples...

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5737/2

Hard red wheat
1 cup (192 gram) = 628 calories
1 oz (28 gram) = 92 calories
92 * 16 = 1,472 Calories per lb * .83 = 1,226 calories
1,226 calories/628 = 1.95 C Wheat per day

25 lbs per month * 16 ounces per lb = 400 ounces per month
400/31 = 12.9 ounces per day
12.9 * 92 = 1,187 calories from Wheat

Ratio: .833 percent grains to .166 legumes

So depending on the days in the month, etc. it ranges between 1,187-1,226 calories / day grains and is just shy of 2 cups wheat

Rice
1 cup = 675 calories
1 oz = 102 calories

White Beans (small)

1 cup (215 g) = 723 calories
1 oz (28 g) = 94 calories
94 * 16 = 1,504 Calories per lb of small white beans
5 * 16 = 80 ounces per month of beans
80/31 = 2.58 ounces per day
2.58 * 94 = 243 calories of beans
243/723 = .33 cup or 1/3 cup beans

1 cup black beans = 662 calories
1 oz = 95 calories

1 cup pinto beans = 670 calories
1 oz = 97 calories

Noahs ARK
08-29-2010, 09:44 PM
If you do not want to go the do-it-yourself route for canning butter and cheese, you can always buy canned butter and cheese. I have purchased cases of this and have found it to be outstanding.

I bought a case of the butter and cheese - they're both delicious. We plan on buying another case of each because the shelf-life is excellent.

Another thing I love is Yoder's Bacon in the can.

arbilad
08-29-2010, 10:37 PM
The code has expired.

The code works, just at a different website. The code works at mredepot.com, but not at the Internet Grocer.

4evermama
08-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Another thing I love is Yoder's Bacon in the can.

We canned bacon this month. I'll open it and fry it up in a couple of weeks to see how it turned out.

Sooooo much cheaper. If this is even 1/2 as good as our normal bacon standard, then I'm "goin' for it".

Bacon everyday. Now that's a "Good Thing".