PDA

View Full Version : March spring wheat hit $24 a bushel Monday, double its cost two months ago

Charsee
03-04-2008, 08:11 PM
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0227/p01s05-usec.html

In fact, US stocks of wheat are now at their lowest level in 60 years. By the time the June harvest of spring wheat begins, there will be 27 days of wheat left in storage, estimates the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). (The normal supply is three months.)

"We think it's a dire situation," says Lee Sanders, senior vice president for government relations for the American Bakers Association, a lobbying group, which has asked its members to brief members of Congress on March 12. The group has also set up meetings with Agriculture Secretary Ed Schafer and the White House. Their goal is to free up land that has been put aside for conservation purposes.

While Washington debates, the impact of rising wheat prices is already being felt on many levels. Wegmans, a grocery chain based in Rochester, N.Y., says it has raised prices on packaged breads from 10 to 50 cents. Prices have also gone up on cakes mixes, crackers, cookies, and cereal. "We have absorbed some price increases, but at a point, you have to charge more," says Jo Natale, a spokeswoman for the grocer.

The flour that consumers use to do their own baking is also going up in price. Last October, King Arthur Flour, a producer of premium flour based in Norwich, Vt., raised prices by 12 percent. It just announced another price increase – of 46 percent – for grocery stores and retailers effective April 1. It has tried to explain the price hikes to its customers on its website.

"My biggest worry is the consumer," says Michael Bittel, the company's general manager. "It will take three years of top-notch crops that exceed demand and refill stocks."
Some bakeries say they're having trouble getting some products. In Brookline, Mass., the Clear Flour Bakery has worked hard to introduce whole-grain German rye bread to its customers. But now, it can't get hold of the rye.

"It's frustrating after building up the market that for three weeks in a row, we have not had it," says Abe Faber, co-owner of the bakery and a board member of the Bread Bakers Guild of America.
Wheat growers say the best cure for high prices is .... high prices, since they will prompt farmers to plant more wheat. Last week, the USDA estimated that would happen in the next growing season.
Unfortunately, many US farmers won't benefit from the current prices since they won't have a crop until June or July. "The vast majority have not been able to benefit," says John Thaemert, president of the National Association of Wheat Growers and also a farmer in Sylvan Grove, Kan.

He ticks off how the farmer has been hit by higher energy costs and fertilizer expenses. "We've had seven years of drought, people questioning my sanity while we're out here busting our buns,"

Elisha
03-06-2008, 11:04 PM
My friend called me today a little distraught at some news that she had heard. A man she knew had gone into our cannery and was told they were out of wheat and wouldn't be getting any until the harvest. She then proceeded to call her son in St. George and have him call the cannery there. They said they had some red wheat and no white wheat, and wouldn't be getting any until the harvest. She then had her other son go into Welfare Square and they too had no wheat. So I proceeded to go into our cannery tonight. I wanted to hear it first hand. They announced there was no wheat. I asked them when they would be getting more in. The sister missionary said they should be getting in red wheat but the white wheat won't be in until the harvest.

All I can say is "Wow!"

thermocouple
03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
When they say they wont be getting anymore wheat in "until the harvest", does anyone know when this would actually be? When is the harvest supposed to take place?

Sandy Coscto had 45# buckets of hard white wheat in stock today, $20/bucket.