PDA

View Full Version : Those That "Prepared" Tamiflu

Charsee
03-04-2009, 04:34 PM
...The Tamiflu-resistant virus strains have shown that they are virulent and as the virus is able to combine different types of genetic material there is a risk that Tamiflu does little to arrest the coming pandemic virus - even if it is impossible to predict today how that virus will look.

"It does not have to happen, but it does show that we have to take the risks of a Tamiflu resistant pandemic more seriously," Tegnell observed.

Sweden has preparations in place for an eventual pandemic. According to Tegnell these are based on a combination of different antiviral medicines.

Aside from Tamiflu there is also Relenza, which continues to work effectively but must be inhaled, and then Amantadin.

Amantadin is a medicine that is barely in use today as it causes side effects and the risk of resistant bacteria is high.

During the previous influenza outbreak a year ago analysis in several countries showed that a common influenza virus, H1N1, had become resistant to Tamiflu.

The figures varied with the USA reporting a 10 percent resistance, Europe 25 percent and 11 percent in Sweden. In Norway the figures showed that Tamiflu was useless in 67 percent of cases, according to a report in Svenska Dagbladet.

Experts report that in the interim period the situation has worsened considerably and the corresponding figures in the USA are now 90 percent and in South Africa 100 percent.

Sweden has spent large sums of money buying up stocks of Tamiflu - a drug that is central to the strategy to prepare for the outbreak of a bird flu epidemic.

http://www.thelocal.se/17956/20090303/

mirkwood
03-04-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm just going to barricade myself in my home when the pandemic hits. I'm also putting a big sign out front that says, "pandemic infected family".

signseeker
03-04-2009, 05:15 PM
No kidding. And not waiting for the media or "officials" to tell me it's time to quarantine, either.

ktsearlebear
03-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I have just registered and have been reading some of the posts today. I am a Nurse Practitioner in Idaho and I just wanted to clarify something as I have seen it 2 or 3 times today.
Influenza is a virus and only anti- viral medication will work for this. Relenza is very effective his year and is super easy to use but can't be use for kids. A mix of amantadine and Tamiflu is effective this year for type A. One type A is resistant to Tamiflu and one is resistant to amantadine. Relenza covers both A and B.
Bacteria are treated by antibiotics. I had a guy ask me for prescriptions for a lot of antibiotics for his food storage which I told him was not a good idea. He did not agree with me and went to Mexico.
Fungus/yeast is the cause of rashes and athlete's foot and diaper rash after an antibiotic, often. Just thought I'd get my feet wet and post. Good information here thanks.