PDA

View Full Version : Storing herbs

signseeker
03-06-2009, 05:21 PM
So, we're organizing my in-laws basement and I see these little glass jars with sage leaves in them. Who knows how old they are. (Remember the prunes from 1949?) Anyway, I was wondering - is it just that simple? Can you snip off leaves and hang them to dry and then stick them in little jars with lids?

Also found a couple mason jars made out of blue glass! Thought that was kinda' cool! :thumbsup:

ghostcat
03-06-2009, 06:11 PM
So, we're organizing my in-laws basement and I see these little glass jars with sage leaves in them. Who knows how old they are. (Remember the prunes from 1949?) Anyway, I was wondering - is it just that simple? Can you snip off leaves and hang them to dry and then stick them in little jars with lids?

Also found a couple mason jars made out of blue glass! Thought that was kinda' cool! :thumbsup: In most cases of herbs, yes it is that simple. Like any other food there is some degradation of food value over time, but most herbals that are dried have a very long shelf life if stored in dry relatively cool conditions. Another way to extend the shelf life is to vacuum pack them.

waif69
03-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I had one person tell me that all you need to do is to cut them (the herbs) to the appropriate size, and stick in a freezer, uncovered for about a week. After that you can jar them with a bag of desiccate.