PDA

View Full Version : Help with bread making

LarnaE
03-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I made some wheat bread and it turned out nice, but it has this after taste that kind of leaves a burning sensation in my mouth. What does this mean?

mirkwood
03-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Are you allergic to wheat?

JayE
03-10-2009, 01:39 PM

No. Larna has made whole wheat bread before, but this particular batch tasted funny. I thought it tasted like too much yeast, but Larna didn't think it was that.

signseeker
03-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Weevils? :rofl:

LEVE
03-10-2009, 02:37 PM
First, go to the store and buy a few pounds of flour and make another batch of bread using the same recipe. If there's no reaction, you know there is a problem with the grain that made the flour.

Fungicide and mercurial treated seed grain can give the you that burning sensation when you eat the bread. You may be more susceptible to the agent on the grain than others who eat from the same batch of bread.

In any case, that wheat may be tainted.

Toni
03-10-2009, 03:32 PM
I second what LEVE said. Did you make the bread out of wheat you had ground yourself? I think that would be the safest flour to use.

LarnaE
03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I made it from some wheat flour that we have had for about 2 years. I have a wheat grider, to grind my own wheat, but it's a hand grinder and it dosen't get the flour fine enough. I really need a better grinder. I think I will try getting new flour and trying it again. This bread is going in the trash.

Toni
03-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I wonder if age could have something to do with it? Or maybe, during storage, it somehow got contaminated with something (like bug spray)? Just trying to think up reasons why you had a problem with it.

We have an excellent quality (expensive) hand wheat grinder but often borrow someone's electric grinder b/c we're lazy, I guess.

LarnaE
03-10-2009, 03:56 PM

I don't think so.

LarnaE
03-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Weevils? :rofl:

I hope not Yuck!

Aldon
03-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Maybe it is red wheat:)

I have an overwhelming dislike for the red stuff.

Probably the power of suggestion but the next time I eat bread made form ground red wheat my mouth will likely start to burn and start a gag reflex!

Thanks goodness there is the hard white stuff.

Toni
03-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I wonder if age could have something to do with it? Or maybe, during storage, it somehow got contaminated with something (like bug spray)? Just trying to think up reasons why you had a problem with it.

We have an excellent quality (expensive) hand wheat grinder but often borrow someone's electric grinder b/c we're lazy, I guess.

I meant the age of the flour. :devil:

Kamut or spelt is supposed to be a better "wheat" I understand. Apparently it is older than wheat, been around longer.

katcan
03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Maybe too much yeast was used if you had a burning in your mouth.

Spelt makes the best bread ever. Here is a recipe that I use once to twice a week. I used to regularly use the breadmaker but it only makes one loaf at a time. This recipe yields many loaves depending on how big you make them. When I make the bread with whole wheat(home ground with electric grinder) it doesn't rise nearly enough. I love spelt bread and have converted many! Here is the link to the recipe that I use. I like to add a homemade dough conditioner(1 T) and sometimes the flax. But, you have to cook it longer if you do that. I buy the 50 pound bag of spelt at Kitchen Kneads. http://hubpages.com/hub/Best-Spelt-Bread-Recipe

rhiamom
03-12-2009, 03:02 AM
I made it from some wheat flour that we have had for about 2 years. I have a wheat grider, to grind my own wheat, but it's a hand grinder and it dosen't get the flour fine enough. I really need a better grinder. I think I will try getting new flour and trying it again. This bread is going in the trash.

The oil in the flour was rancid, if it was two years old. I have had this happen to me, with the same burning sensation, when making bread with old whole wheat flour. If it's not kept in the refrigerator it goes rancid pretty quickly. That's why storing wheat is the way to go, rather than storing flour.

Earthling
03-12-2009, 08:52 AM
I have some flour I canned about 10 years ago. It has been stored in a cool place. Is it probably bad then?

signseeker
03-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Don't tell me that!! :ohmy:

phylm
03-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Earthling--if it was canned properly, it is probably fine.

rhiamom
03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Earthling--if it was canned properly, it is probably fine.

I agree it is probably fine. It's oxygen that makes the oil go rancid, and canning reduces the amount of air in the jar. I'd try a jar to make sure. 10 years might be hitting the storage time limit for canned whole wheat flour, though. I think you should be able to find a reference someplace that would tell you the storage time. Maybe it's 20 years. I am not an expert, and I haven't memorized any of the many charts.

LarnaE
03-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I meant the age of the flour. :devil:

Kamut or spelt is supposed to be a better "wheat" I understand. Apparently it is older than wheat, been around longer.

What is Kamut and where do you get it?

signseeker
03-13-2009, 08:46 AM
I betcha Wild Oats has it. Or Good Earth.

LarnaE
03-13-2009, 09:24 AM
I made white bread yesterday. It was yummy! I told my friend about my wheat bread issues and she is going to let me borrow her wheat grinder. This is so great because I don't have the money right now to buy one. We have wonderful blessings come our way everyday.

Toni
03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
What is Kamut and where do you get it?

Yeah, Wild Oats, might have it. A co-op might as well, like Frontier Co-op. You might be able to ask a health food store, a bulk food store or grocery store to order it (I'd go for the grocery or bulk food store b/c health food store mark-ups are atrocious). Bob's Red Mill http://www.bobsredmill.com/home.php?cat=105 carries it but I don't know if they carry it in bulk.

Toni
03-17-2009, 12:26 PM
I made white bread yesterday. It was yummy! I told my friend about my wheat bread issues and she is going to let me borrow her wheat grinder. This is so great because I don't have the money right now to buy one. We have wonderful blessings come our way everyday.

White wheat (hard) or pastry wheat makes pretty good bread. But it can gum up some grinders b/c it is more moist than the hard red wheat - at least the white/pastry wheat I had. If it does that, you just go slow and don't do too much at a time.