PDA

View Full Version : What is in your storage?

JayE
03-05-2008, 08:12 PM
For many years we have tried to have a complete storage. We want to have every necessity that a family might need for at least a year. So, we have stocked up on medicine, soaps, toilet paper, fuel, etc. However, just today I realized that we did not have a supply of what I consider to be one of the most useful items - duct tape. How could we have forgotten duct tape? We use it all the time.

That leads me to the reason for this post. Please tell me what useful items you may have, or would like to have in your storage, that someone like me could have overlooked?

mirkwood
03-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Some items from lists I have seen (non food lists)

camping gear
--stove, wood burning/sheepherders
extra tarp(s)
Dutch Ovens
Sheepherder stove
plastic utensils
santizing gel
paper plates
napkins
paper towels
soap
shampoo
plastic utensils
saran wrap
reynolds wrap
toothpicks
dish detergent
clothing detergent
Contact stuff
glasses
Lasik
Neosporin
Immodium AD
Tums/antacid tablets
vitamins
OTC pain relievers
Benadryl
toothpaste
toothbrushes
dental floss
cortizone
lotion
chapstick
Alcohol
peroxide
toothbrush
toothpaste
dental floss
antacids
anti diarrhea
headache
sunscreen
deodarant
cotton balls
q tips
hand gel
decomposition chemicals (???)
Clorox wipes
Disinfectant/cleaning supplies
Garbage bags
batteries
propane tanks x3
propane tank adaptor
gardening tools
Miracle Grow
winter boots
extra laces
ammo
Aimpoint
Duct/electrical tape
plastic for windows
firring strips
nails
screws
staples
rope
string
light bulbs
batteries
candles
matches
winter gear
cold weather boots
Katadyn
Kero Heater
shed
LED lantern
Sewing materials
Cat food

Charsee
03-15-2008, 01:07 AM
I have been looking for a good price on dental floss.

Costco had their Glide floss today for $12.50 for 6 43 yard rolls. If I am figuring it out right that is about $5.00 for 100 yards. That seems pretty pricey.

My husband uses as much dental floss as duct tape for fixing things so I know I will need a lot of this.

If I remember right, they recommend that you use 18 inches per flossing. If you flossed once per day, I figure that would be about 178 yards per year. If you used 12 inches of floss that would be about 118 yards per year...per person.

If you are fortunate enough not to break it in use perhaps it could be reused... Perhaps others have better ideas on what to do.

mirkwood
03-15-2008, 10:58 AM
I buy it at Wal Mart when it is on sale. I buy the Johnson and Johnson brand. It is about a dollar cheaper and works just fine.

NRA
03-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned TP. Good trading item as well.

I see I did miss it. :bonk:

prairiemom
03-15-2008, 09:38 PM
I just went from room to room and wrote down everything in that room. Things we have that a lot of people forget:

light bulbs
mop heads
rubber gloves
vacuum bags
vacuum belts
furnace filters
matches
sponges and scouring pads
razors
plus the usual--
hygiene items
1st aid items
cleaning supplies
paper supplies
school supplies

mirkwood
03-16-2008, 02:31 AM
I did the same thing. I started in the back bathroom with a clipboard and started writing down all the things I would want to have if there were no stores and no liklihood of a store for an extended period of time. It made for an interesting list.

thor610
03-16-2008, 12:39 PM
I think any non-electric thing is a candidate for storage.
For example, I'll keep candles in stock, but not light bulbs. Just because there is always the possibility of electric going out. Then what good is a year's supply of bulbs. That money is better spent on candles.

goldilocks
03-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Glasses, If you wear glasses then have several extra pairs. . Even if you wear contacts have glasses on hand. Its so miserable when you can't see things clearly.

pun or no pun:coool:

Mother55
03-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Charsee, if you wash the floss and hang it on a wooden dowl, you could get twice as much out of it!

by the way, Glide is made of "Gortex", not a nylon filiment. The potential for washing it very clean is excellent.

Mother55
03-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Goldi-- you can get glasses very cheap online from a company called Zennioptical.com. They start at $8 each! My son got some metal ones that look just like the expensive pair. You need to fax a prescription with your PD (pupil distance.

LoudmouthMormon
03-17-2008, 08:47 AM
I finally got lasik after forcing myself to think of it as a good preparedness item.

Charsee
04-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Anyone bought anything interesting lately?

I bought an antique cast iron waffle maker, and toothbrushes from Costco.

mirkwood
04-21-2008, 11:25 AM
I have this on my short list:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0055452518476a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=popcorn+popper&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=popcorn+popper&noImage=0

sunsinger
04-21-2008, 01:20 PM
For many years we have tried to have a complete storage. We want to have every necessity that a family might need for at least a year. So, we have stocked up on medicine, soaps, toilet paper, fuel, etc. However, just today I realized that we did not have a supply of what I consider to be one of the most useful items - duct tape. How could we have forgotten duct tape? We use it all the time.

That leads me to the reason for this post. Please tell me what useful items you may have, or would like to have in your storage, that someone like me could have overlooked?

You can make anything in this world with duct tape..

Charsee
04-21-2008, 02:19 PM
I have this on my short list:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0055452518476a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=popcorn+popper&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=popcorn+popper&noImage=0

Cool popcorn popper.

bokbadok
04-21-2008, 03:42 PM

We have sufficient for our needs.

;)

arbilad
11-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Bump

jackmormon
11-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Now I see that there is no mention of the requisite 55 gallon barrel of Dr. Pepper, and I like to keep a mental note of the edible pets near my home.

Lucy
11-17-2011, 08:16 PM

And you can get anything moving with WD-40, so keep both!