PDA

View Full Version : Food storage: a commandment or just a good idea?

arbilad
05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Didn't want to hijack the "Ask a Mormon" thread, but I had always understood food storage to be a commandment, so when someone stated that it wasn't, i went looking for quotes. Here's a quick one from providentliving.org. There are others.

"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to ?prepare every needful thing? (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we can care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others.

arbilad
05-31-2009, 03:53 PM
President Gordon B. Hinckley reminded us in October 2005 general conference of our need to be prepared: “We can so live that we can call upon the Lord for His protection and guidance. This is a first priority. We cannot expect His help if we are unwilling to keep His commandments. … I have faith … that the Lord will bless us, and watch over us, and assist us if we walk in obedience to His light, His gospel, and His commandments.”4

Julie
05-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Bishop McMullin came to my stake a while back and said it was a commandment.

mirkwood
06-01-2009, 12:42 AM
It is a gospel principle.

signseeker
06-01-2009, 07:32 AM
What's that mean?

silverstate51
06-01-2009, 08:48 AM
According to Merriam-Webster, a principle is a comprehensive and fundamental law, doctrine, or assumption. Gospel Principles are those doctrines (or teachings) of the gospel that are foundational, fundamental or key.
The best source for understanding the principles of the gospel is the Gospel Principles HTML edition (http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Curriculum/home%20and%20family.htm/gospel%20principles.htm?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0#JD_31110ttl) or Gospel Principles Manual PDF edition (3mb) (http://www.lds.org/gospellibrary/materials/gospel/Start%20Here_01.pdf), published by the Church.

Hope this helps.

signseeker
06-01-2009, 09:00 AM
So it's doctrine, and then some.

CurtisG
06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Didn't want to hijack the "Ask a Mormon" thread, but I had always understood food storage to be a commandment, .
Congrats, by researching this topic you are being obedient! Do you feel yourself growing in faith and knowledge? We are all 'commanded" (theres that word again:devil (2):) to give an answer for the faith we have. (paraphrase)
Unfortunately, some think there has to be a "Thus Saith The Lord" moment before something is a commandment.