PDA

View Full Version : Asthma sufferers face greater H1N1 risk

cHeroKee
06-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Asthma sufferers face greater H1N1 risk (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0615-c7su.html)

June 15, 2009 - 9:34AM
Australia's two million asthma sufferers face a higher risk of developing additional health complications if they contract swine flu, health experts say.

The National Asthma Council Australia (NAC) has urged people with the chronic respiratory condition to be "extra vigilant" this winter, following confirmation that 40 per cent of those hospitalised with the influenza A(H1N1) virus in New York have asthma.

It also follows news that a patient with underlying health conditions died from swine flu in Scotland on Sunday, the first person to die from the virus outside the Americas.

"People with asthma can be particularly susceptible to influenza as viral infections can lead to increased asthma symptoms," an NAC spokesman said.

"Older people and those with severe asthma who get the flu may be at risk of more serious complications like pneumonia."

NAC chairman Dr Noela Whitby urged asthma sufferers who have not seen their GP in the past six months to do so for a check up.

"We appreciate in these tough economic times that some people will be trying to contain their healthcare costs.

"But in the midst of this particularly difficult flu season, it's really important people with asthma consult their doctor now to ensure their lung health is being effectively managed during winter," Dr Whitby said.

Cowboy
06-14-2009, 11:19 PM
My son and daughter both have asthma. I need to keep an eye on this.

TheSwally
06-15-2009, 12:38 AM
As do I. I guess I'll be stocking up on inhalers this spring just in case.

Lucy
06-15-2009, 07:44 AM
The past few years I've had horrible asthma. Any ideas on how to combat asthma?

signseeker
06-15-2009, 01:57 PM
My 4yo son has asthma also. Not good.

cHeroKee
06-15-2009, 08:23 PM
For those of you who have asthma, might want to make sure that GERD is not the cause. It can be treated.

Aldon
06-15-2009, 08:38 PM
I have been told that Barley Tea/water is beneficial in dealing with Asthma.

Barley is specifically noted as for the use of man in WOW as well.

signseeker
06-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Who the heck's GERD? :blink:

So, would barley soup be good, too? (Seems like I could make that more enticing for the little guy.)

cHeroKee
06-16-2009, 09:05 AM

gastroesophageal reflux disease

During laying down to sleep the liquid content of the stomach regurgitates (backs up or refluxes) into the esophagus. The regurgitated liquid usually contains acid and pepsin that are produced by the stomach. The refluxed liquid also may contain bile that has backed-up into the stomach from the duodenum. (The duodenum is the first part of the small intestine that attaches to the stomach).

As it regurgitates the liquid can enter the airway causing one to wake up choking and producing asthma symptoms over a period as long as the GERD is left untreated.

LEVE
06-16-2009, 09:32 AM
It's nothing to fool with; GERD is a lot more threatening than you'd think.

If left untreated the constant irritation of the duodenum and the esophagus by the excess stomach acid can develop into stomach cancer. It's an invite to cancer. Constant vigilance determined by your physician is in order.

Don't ask me how I know...

Aldon
06-16-2009, 10:03 AM

So, would barley soup be good, too? (Seems like I could make that more enticing for the little guy.)

I believe that would definitely work.

Start with Hulled Barley not pearled.

The processing takes off the nutrient laden outer covering from what I understand.

Also as a side benefit, Barley is a good source of calcium supposedly.

mirkwood
06-16-2009, 10:13 AM
A good start to fighting GERD is to stop eating/drinking several hours before you go to bed.