PDA

View Full Version : More than one emergency

LarnaE
07-01-2009, 08:47 AM
What if there is an emergecy and you need to use your food storage and then you end up using the whole 1-2 year supply and then bam, a second or third emergency hits before you have time to recover? This senerio has a good chance of happening. I hope the blessings from being obedient in having a 1-2 year supply of food storage will last through several emergencies.

geubanks
07-01-2009, 09:12 AM
No need to worry Larna, we would be happy to share, food and ammo.

CurtisG
07-01-2009, 11:44 AM
After 1 or 2 years of disruption, i might have to bum some MRE's from the Chinese troops:001_scry:

phylm
07-01-2009, 03:48 PM
What if there is an emergecy and you need to use your food storage and then you end up using the whole 1-2 year supply and then bam, a second or third emergency hits before you have time to recover? This senerio has a good chance of happening. I hope the blessings from being obedient in having a 1-2 year supply of food storage will last through several emergencies.

This is where being able to produce your own food and necessities comes in. I sincerely wish more people were prepared in this way.:sadley:

LarnaE
07-01-2009, 03:54 PM
This is where being able to produce your own food and necessities comes in. I sincerely wish more people were prepared in this way.:sadley:

We have lots of seeds, fishing tackle, and stuff to hunt with. It would be nice to have chickens and a cow then we would be great.

LarnaE
07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
No need to worry Larna, we would be happy to share, food and ammo.

Gary, you are the best. I know you would help us anytime.

signseeker
07-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Yes, I agree this is where the skills come in. Plus (and this is not a real happy thought) you can think of all the extra resources there will be when a significant number of people die off.

Lately the whole "physical prep" thing has really been on my mind. Getting in better shape - stronger, faster, more endurance... I think that will help us psychologically during emergencies if we're not dealing with unnecessary fatigue or aches or weaknesses. (I mean, no one's Hercules, but I could definitely improve in this arena.)

sarge712
07-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Thats where the Lord steps in. We can't run faster than we have strength. If we were ready for the first emergency as we were commanded to be, then the Lord will provide for any subsequent emergencies. If not, then that's his plan for us as far as I'm concerned. My only worry is that I can endure the trials / emergencies whatever they may be with honor and rigteousness and not break weak and do something shameful.

prairiemom
07-02-2009, 09:32 AM
That's why FS is only a tiny fraction of Preparedness. It's the skills, habits and attitudes that define Provident Living, not the number of cans and buckets sitting in the basement.

Chickens would be good--that was on my list of things to do this year but the flood put the kabosh on that. But I would get a goat or two before getting a cow. Keeping a cow is just barely a break-even proposition, not to mention it's a huge beast that needs food, shelter and care that are outside of most people's abilities.

LarnaE
07-02-2009, 09:45 AM
That's why FS is only a tiny fraction of Preparedness. It's the skills, habits and attitudes that define Provident Living, not the number of cans and buckets sitting in the basement.

Chickens would be good--that was on my list of things to do this year but the flood put the kabosh on that. But I would get a goat or two before getting a cow. Keeping a cow is just barely a break-even proposition, not to mention it's a huge beast that needs food, shelter and care that are outside of most people's abilities.

I am afraid of goats, I know, don't laugh too hard. When I was little, my friend had goats and the big daddy goat chased me all over. It was terrifying. I still have bad dreams. I don't like goats milk or goat cheese. I really don't have anyway to keep a cow or goats so I am out of luck. I don't even think we can keep chickens.

4evermama
07-02-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't even think we can keep chickens.

Check your local city codes. Here in the PacNW, urban backyard chickens are permitted so long as you don't keep a rooster (pesky noise ordinances). The amount that you can keep varies from city to city. We have 8 and use a deep litter method that totally controls odor and lice/mytes. If you set things in a good working order, they require very little maintenance. City governments are really starting to see the benefits of chickens as being "green and sustainable".:rolleyes (2):

Some city codes even allow livestock "reasonable to the size of a dog".
Soooo....... Great Danes are dogs...right?

JayE
07-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Check your local city codes. Here in the PacNW, urban backyard chickens are permitted so long as you don't keep a rooster (pesky noise ordinances). The amount that you can keep varies from city to city. We have 8 and use a deep litter method that totally controls odor and lice/mytes. If you set things in a good working order, they require very little maintenance. City governments are really starting to see the benefits of chickens as being "green and sustainable".:rolleyes (2):

Some city codes even allow livestock "reasonable to the size of a dog".
Soooo....... Great Danes are dogs...right?

Our codes do not allow chickens in our neighborhood, although our neighbors behind us had some chickens a few years ago, that is until a neighborhood dog discovered them. They haven't had any since.

phylm
07-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Rabbits are nature's fast food. Their gestation period is 30 days, and they will re-breed in 3 days unless you prevent it. The young are broiler size in 8 weeks. Not pleasant to think of butchering such cute things, but I'm talking survival.

mirkwood
07-02-2009, 06:47 PM
If I had advance notice, a few days or weeks, of total collapse, rabbits and hutches are something I would be purchasing.

JayE
07-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Rabbits are nature's fast food. Their gestation period is 30 days, and they will re-breed in 3 days unless you prevent it. The young are broiler size in 8 weeks. Not pleasant to think of butchering such cute things, but I'm talking survival.

But beware of killer rabbits. Isn't that right Aldon?

ghostcat
07-02-2009, 10:26 PM
But beware of killer rabbits. Isn't that right Aldon?
HEH HEH HEH HEH

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/ghostcat2/killer_rabbit.jpg