PDA

View Full Version : Delicious Meals Cooked in a Dutch Oven

mirkwood
08-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Delicious Meals Cooked in a Dutch Oven
By Dian Thomas

http://meridianmagazine.com/enjoying/images/090807enciladapie.jpg
Dutch Ovens have been a tradition in my home ever since I was a child. It was passed down by both of my grandfathers who worked with the sheep in the high mountains of Utah. As a young girl, my favorite outdoor meals were cooked in a Dutch oven. Whether the food cooked in a Dutch oven is cooked indoors or out, your family is sure to love the wonderful meals that you can turn out in those wonderful cast iron pots.
Dutch ovens were also used by the pioneers. I do not think there is anything that you cannot cook in a Dutch oven. For all the people who want to get up to speed on emergency cooking, this is a great way to enjoy delicious meals while improving your preparedness skills. When ever anyone wants me to give a preparedness presentation, I tell that I will do it for fun and then if there is ever an emergency I am prepared and ready to go and it will seem like fun.
The following are two of my favorite hearty recipes I have enjoyed when I go out with the family or with a group. Enchilada pie is a favorite, sure to fill up growing kids.
Enchilada Pie
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (11.5-ounce) can condensed tomato soup
2 (10-ounce) cans mild or hot enchilada sauce
1 cup water
9 (8-inch) flour or corn tortillas
11⁄2 to 2 cups (8 ounces) Cheddar or
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Dutch Oven
Heat a 12-inch Dutch oven over 9 hot coals. Brown meat and onion. Pour off drippings. Add soup, enchilada sauce and water and simmer 5 minutes. Spoon 2⁄3 of this mixture into a medium bowl, leaving remaining 1⁄3 in the Dutch oven. Arrange 2 to 3 tortillas over the meat mixture and sprinkle with 1⁄3 of the cheese. Layer with half of the remaining meat mixture and 1⁄3 of the cheese; repeat. Cover with Dutch oven lid and place 12 to 15 hot coals on top. Cook, covered, 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese melts and tortillas soften. Serves 6 to 8.
At Home
Preheat oven to 350?F. In a large skillet, brown meat with onion. Pour off drippings. Add soup, enchilada sauce and water, and simmer 5 minutes.
In a 9 x 13-inch
dish, layer 1/3 of the
meat mixture, then 2
or 3 tortillas, and 1⁄3 of
the cheese; repeat
with remaining ingredients.
Cook, covered,
10 to 15 minutes, or
until cheese melts and
tortillas soften. Serves
6 to 8.
The following recipe was shared with my by Wallace Brown, a dentist at the time in Salt Lake. This is one of my favorites to cook for guest. I love to cook it while I talk to my visitors. It does take a little time, but it is fun to enjoy some slow time while cooking this delicious recipe. The smells and the taste can not be beaten---enjoy.
Pistol Rock Chicken
1 whole chicken, skinned and cut into pieces
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons oil
1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
Rinse chicken thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels. In a 1-gallon plastic self-sealing bag, add salt, pepper, garlic salt and flour. Add chicken, close the bag and shake well to coat.
Camp Stove and At Home
In a large skillet, heat oil and brown chicken well on all sides. Pour off excess oil and add tomato sauce and mushrooms.Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove cover and cook 15 minutes, until sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
Serves 4.
Dutch Oven
Place a 12-inch Dutch oven over 12 to 15 hot coals. Add oil to hot Dutch oven and brown chicken well on all sides. Pour off excess oil and add tomato sauce and mushrooms. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove cover and cook 15 minutes, until sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
Serves 4.
Dian Thomas is the author of several outdoor books including the New York Times Best seller Roughing it Easy. She has demonstrated her popular recipes in the Media for over 30 years. To learn more about Dian and here creative books go to www.DianThomas.com (http://www.dianthomas.com/).

http://meridianmagazine.com/enjoying/090807dutch.html