PDA

View Full Version : We had our Preparedness Fair

prairiemom
03-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Well, I'm back from our Stake Preparedness Fair. This is the 2nd one I've done since being called. In many ways I think it was better than last year's. We had about 70-75 attend, several of them non-members. (OK, before all you UT folks start thinking "big whoop", our stake covers half of ND and parts of 2 other states, about a 230mi radius. With the price of gas, it's very very hard to get people to travel to something like this. We have only 5 small wards and 6 branches. So this was actually a very big thing.) :thumbup1:

Anyway, we had 9 classes:
gardening (taught twice--very popular)
canning 101 (basics)
canning 201 (pressure canning)
non-electric cooking
power outages
natural home remedies
debt elimination
record keeping for home businesses
making yogurt

And we had the following displays or demonstration tables:
Water safety/storage
Community emergency services
Food Storage Program—Get your personalized shopping list (using FSP)
What other wards are doing (how to solve all your food storage problems)
Mosquito protection—County Vector Control
Winter car kits
*Sprouting
*Beans
*Soy Milk
Green living—making green choices also saves money
Disease prevention
A simple 3-mo supply
Winterizing your Car
Emergency radio communication
Wheat grinder comparison—test drive manual and electric wheat grinders
Shop at home—catalogs covering every aspect of preparedness
Learn at home—Magazines and books you’ll want to read
* indicates tasting table

As usual, there were the behind the scenes glitches--help that didn't show up, so I was scrambling to do the set up with only one other person helping. YSA was supposed to be in charge of childcare and 2 1/2 hrs prior I learned that they weren't going to do anything. We had 35 children, and the youth in my ward did a phenomenal job with the last-minute call-up. And 2 displays that people didn't show up for, much less call to tell me they couldn't make it. :glare:

But to everyone who was there it was a great event. Wish ya'll coulda been here. But I'm glad we only do this once a year--I'm BEAT!