PDA

View Full Version : 3 month supply versus year supply

Charlene
10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Since the LDS church has come out with it's recommendations in regards to the 3 month supply, several times I have heard members interpret this to mean different things. I spoke with a gentleman today that asked how we felt about the new recommendations to store 3 month's worth of food. He's not the only one. He indicated that at their ward, it was presented in a fashion that this new counsel rules over any previous counsel.

I was under the impression that this was in addition to old counsel. I thought it was just trying to motivate others to get started - do something! I believe some are interpreting it as do this instead.

If you get right down to it, I believe we should be storing more than 1 year where possible. If I remember correctly, seems like the church originally suggested 7 years of storage, which later came down to 5, 3, 2, 1 and now some would suggest 3 months.

What say you?

JayE
10-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Anyone who thinks that the church is asking us to store only 3 months worth has misunderstood Bishop McMullin's presentation in General Priesthood meeting a few years ago. What he said was that we should "Build a small supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet" and then bulk food for longer storage needs. That is also what is on the Provident Living web site.

mirkwood
10-30-2009, 12:09 PM
The counsel in the pamphlet All Is Safely Gathered In, which is where the 3 month quote comes from, says to get a 3 month supply of your normal foods and then to store long term foods. Those who are saying 3 months are trying to justify their faithlessness/disobedience to this principle.

http://providentliving.org/content/list/0,11664,7445-1,00.html

Says this: Three-Month Supply
http://providentliving.org/images/spacer.gif
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%" align=left><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Build a small supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet. One way to do this is to purchase a few extra items each week to build a one-week supply of food. Then you can gradually increase your supply until it is sufficient for three months. These items should be rotated regularly to avoid spoilage
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Then you continue on to this link: http://providentliving.org/content/list/0,11664,7448-1,00.html

Longer-Term Supply
http://providentliving.org/images/spacer.gif
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%" align=left><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>For longer-term needs, and where permitted, gradually build a supply of food that will last a long time and that you can use to stay alive, such as wheat, white rice, and beans.
These items can last 30 years or more (http://providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7798-1-4224-1,00.html) when properly packaged and stored in a cool, dry place. A portion of these items may be rotated in your three-month supply.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Then under the FAQ's: http://providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7636-1-4104-1,00.html#question_1

you will find these two:

Where do I start?
Start by adding a few storable items that you typically eat, storing some water that is safe to drink, and saving some money, if only a few coins each week. Then over time, expand these initial efforts?as individual circumstances allow and where permitted?by storing a longer-term supply of basics such as grains, beans, and other staples.

What?s the difference between the three-month and longer-term supply items?
Three-month supply items are foods that you normally eat, including canned and commercially packaged foods. Longer-term supply items are basic food items like grains and beans that have very low moisture content (about 10% or less), can be stored for long periods of time (20?30 years), and would sustain life if nothing else were available to eat. A portion of longer-term supply items may be rotated into the three-month supply.

If they continue to deny the counsel for one year, they are not going to listen no matter what.

Charlene
10-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Thank you both so much. I appreciate your clarifications. I was certain that the 3 month suggestions were not in place of the year suggestions.

Personally I'm gearing my 3 month supply to easy-to-prepare items that might be pulled off the shelf and put together quickly by any member of my family. I thought if I get ill, my family won't have a clue how to prepare most of the items I use from long-term storage LOL.

Also, as I stated, I personally believe in storing more than a year's worth of long-term items where possible.

arbilad
10-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Indeed, you might say that the Church's requirements have become stricter, not less strict. It used to be that they required only a year's supply. Now they require a year's supply plus a 3 month supply.

Charlene
10-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I wonder how many folks out there are interpreting this information incorrectly now. I truly have had several people voice to me that they thought we only had to do 3 months now.

Aldon
10-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Those who have eyes to see and ears to hear........

We can not get into the celestial Kingdom on someone elses coat tails, we also will not be able to feed ourselves with someone elses obedience......at least not easily.

There will always be those who seek for the minimum or aim for mediocrity. If you aim that low, your chances of exceeding or success are fairly slim.

mirkwood
10-30-2009, 06:04 PM
I wonder how many folks out there are interpreting this information incorrectly now. I truly have had several people voice to me that they thought we only had to do 3 months now.

I am constantly correcting that as well.

supersc
10-30-2009, 09:37 PM
It is may be stricter, depending on an individuals circumstances.

The 3 month supply is of what you eat... and implies we need to be able to get along for up to 3 months without Safeway or Smiths...

The longer-term supply does not imply a time length... it is up to the individual. Many think a year is an adequate long-term-storage based on previous counsel. I've heard others think 9 months long-term plus the 3 month to make a year. Others look to multiple years of the basic long-term storage, enough for them, families, friends, neighbors. Different circumstances for different folks, so we get to decide what that is for us. I'm sure it is different for each individual in Warsaw, Paris, Adelaide, and Panguitch, or Grand Forks...

BackBlast
11-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Since the LDS church has come out with it's recommendations in regards to the 3 month supply, several times I have heard members interpret this to mean different things. I spoke with a gentleman today that asked how we felt about the new recommendations to store 3 month's worth of food. He's not the only one. He indicated that at their ward, it was presented in a fashion that this new counsel rules over any previous counsel.

I was under the impression that this was in addition to old counsel. I thought it was just trying to motivate others to get started - do something! I believe some are interpreting it as do this instead.

I don't quite view it that way, I think the change will help some prepare, yes, and it will be less intimidating to store foods you normally eat for those who have never seen a wheat grinder. It also just plain makes sense from a dietary perspective, if you only store long term foods and never eat them. Life is going to be miserable if you ever need to live off the long term supply. Avoiding the system shock is a very good idea, it was a needed change. We just don't eat like we used to as a society.

If you get right down to it, I believe we should be storing more than 1 year where possible. If I remember correctly, seems like the church originally suggested 7 years of storage, which later came down to 5, 3, 2, 1 and now some would suggest 3 months.

What say you?We have some of the actual quotes for those other numbers floating on this forum somewhere where the 7 years comes from, the 7 years wasn't exactly intended to be the council for everyone and rather a hypothetical possibility for an obedient saint.

I believe 1 year is a the low end of where everyone should be. The minimum path of obedience. Though the most recent council has left the exact amount unspecified, let your conscience, budget, and space be your guide. It's also probably more appropriate council for saints who live in places where you get in big trouble trying to store a year of food...

I wonder how many folks out there are interpreting this information incorrectly now. I truly have had several people voice to me that they thought we only had to do 3 months now.At least it's a better half truth whispered to members than the old staple of the preparedness challenged.. 72 hour kits.

KF7EEC
11-17-2009, 02:20 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the "old counsel" a supply of food, clothing, and, where possible, fuel, for AT LEAST 1 year?

mirkwood
11-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Yes. In fact you can still find that quote here: http://providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,6481-1-3331-18,00.html

"Acquire and store a reserve of food and supplies that will sustain life. Obtain clothing and build a savings account on a sensible, well-planned basis that can serve well in times of emergency. As long as I can remember, we have been taught to prepare for the future and to obtain a year's supply of necessities. I would guess that the years of plenty have almost universally caused us to set aside this counsel. I believe the time to disregard this counsel is over. With events in the world today, it must be considered with all seriousness" (L. Tom Perry, "If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear," Ensign, Nov. 1995, 36).

"We continue to encourage members to store sufficient food, clothing, and where possible fuel for at least one year. We have not laid down an exact formula for what should be stored. However, we suggest that members concentrate on essential foods that sustain life, such as grains, legumes, cooking oil, powdered milk, salt, sugar or honey, and water. Most families can achieve and maintain this basic level of preparedness. The decision to do more than this rests with the individual.
"We encourage you to follow this counsel with the assurance that a people prepared through obedience to the commandments of God need not fear" (First Presidency letter, June 24, 1988; see Ensign, Oct. 1988, 80).

"The revelation to produce and store food may be as essential to our temporal welfare today as boarding the ark was to the people in the days of Noah" (Ezra Taft Benson, "Prepare for the Days of Tribulation," Ensign, Nov. 1980, 33).

"Our bishops' storehouses are not intended to stock enough commodities to care for all the members of the Church. Storehouses are only established to care for the poor and the needy. For this reason, members of the Church have been instructed to personally store a year's supply of food, clothing, and, where possible, fuel. By following this counsel, most members will be prepared and able to care for themselves and their family members, and be able to share with others as may be needed" (Ezra Taft Benson, "Ministering to Needs through the Lord's Storehouse System," Ensign, May 1977, 82).

"We encourage families to have on hand this year's supply; and we say it over and over and over and repeat over and over the scriptures of the Lord where He says, 'Why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?' How empty it is as they put their spirituality, so-called, into action and call him by his important names, but fail to do the things which he says" (Spencer W. Kimball, "Family Preparedness," Ensign, May 1976, 125).