PDA

View Full Version : Brown Rice Syrup

SuperMom
11-04-2009, 07:43 PM
The story goes like this. My MIL doesn't quite understand food storage. When a confection store opened up in her building, and gave her a gallon bucket of honey, she didn't know what to do with it, and gave it to her daughter (my SIL). Neither of them are LDS.. and couldn't quite understand my "green with envy" eyes, and neither of them have any concept of what food storage is, though I have tried on many occasions to explain. Apparently she had no idea I have been looking for a good price for bulk honey for our storage for the last few years, without success. She felt very bad after talking to my husband, and agreed to ask the store if we could purchase bulk honey from them. Then, of course, she found out how much honey I was looking to purchase (a 60#, 5 gallon bucket.. or 5 1 gallon buckets) and went and bought the "honey" from the company herself for me. It cost her $20. I was shocked, and excited. $20 for sixty POUNDS of honey didn't see believable to me. Then she told me that it wasn't actually honey, it was "brown rice syrup" but not to worry, because it looks and tastes JUST like honey.:frown2: I am at a loss. I don't want to seem ungrateful, because she really did go above and beyond. So.. I looked up the shelf life of brown rice syrup. Everywhere I looked says a year. I don't even know how to cook with it.. do I use it in place of the honey or sugar in recipes? Help! I don't want her to know that I can't really use sixty pounds of syrup! I don't want her to feel like she goofed! Does anyone know how I use the darn stuff, and how long of a shelf life it really has? Any information would be useful!

phylm
11-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I had never heard of brown rice syrup. I just tried a search for "brown rice syrup," and there are a lot of sites on it. Don't have time to research them tonight, but it looks like you may have a bit of treasure there. Hope so. phylm

jennvan40
11-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Brown rice syrup can be used in place of sugar and honey in recipes. Its very commonly used as a sweetener in natural and organic foods. I don't think it has the same taste as honey and it doesn't impact blood sugar as much as refined sugar does. Some say its a better substitute for both honey and white sugar but my doctor says sugar is sugar in whatever form. If you do a google search for recipes with brown rice syrup you should come up with some ideas for how to use it. It can generally be used similarly to sugar or honey if you like the taste of it.

waif69
11-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Hopefully the shelf life is greater than a year.

KF7EEC
11-17-2009, 01:51 AM
The story goes like this. My MIL doesn't quite understand food storage. When a confection store opened up in her building, and gave her a gallon bucket of honey, she didn't know what to do with it, and gave it to her daughter (my SIL). Neither of them are LDS.. and couldn't quite understand my "green with envy" eyes, and neither of them have any concept of what food storage is, though I have tried on many occasions to explain. Apparently she had no idea I have been looking for a good price for bulk honey for our storage for the last few years, without success. She felt very bad after talking to my husband, and agreed to ask the store if we could purchase bulk honey from them. Then, of course, she found out how much honey I was looking to purchase (a 60#, 5 gallon bucket.. or 5 1 gallon buckets) and went and bought the "honey" from the company herself for me. It cost her $20. I was shocked, and excited. $20 for sixty POUNDS of honey didn't see believable to me. Then she told me that it wasn't actually honey, it was "brown rice syrup" but not to worry, because it looks and tastes JUST like honey.:frown2: I am at a loss. I don't want to seem ungrateful, because she really did go above and beyond. So.. I looked up the shelf life of brown rice syrup. Everywhere I looked says a year. I don't even know how to cook with it.. do I use it in place of the honey or sugar in recipes? Help! I don't want her to know that I can't really use sixty pounds of syrup! I don't want her to feel like she goofed! Does anyone know how I use the darn stuff, and how long of a shelf life it really has? Any information would be useful!

Do you have the name of this store? I might get some at this price and try it.

Harm
11-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Do you have the name of this store? I might get some at this price and try it.

Yeah I'll give it a run. If it's decently tasting love to try it in some rolls and oatmeal... :d0 (75):

sunsinger
11-17-2009, 10:13 PM
I think it is suppose to be very healthy--lots of B vitamins, minerals, etc. I think some people use it as a nutritional supplement, if I remember correctly.