PDA

View Full Version : Guess we CAN get through to them sometimes

phylm
11-11-2009, 09:23 PM
I have been interested in the experiences of Mirk and others in this forum in trying to convince relatives and acquaintances of the importance of preparation. I readily admit that I am a "prep freak," and just as readily talk about prep to anyone who will listen.

I was teaching an unofficial prep class to a group of folks in our ward, and was pleased with the progress that some of them made. I had to call a halt to it during the summer when we were called to go to Vermont, and haven't taken it up since. I was pleased when some of my "students" asked if I would start it up again. They want to know more about cooking storage food, and alternative means of cooking without electricity. I agreed to.

I was really pleased when one of the young mothers told me this week that she and her husband had budgeted a monthly amount of money this year to use for prep, and that they had ordered $200 for storage food this month, and she wants to continue the class. She also told me that she had just endured a 25 hour water outage, and was surprised that it took 7 gallons of her stored water during that time. She was happy, though, that she had observed the council to store water!

And today the technician who was drawing my husband's blood, asked him to tell me that a group from the young singles' ward to whom I gave a prep talk in August, have made a date to go up to the Jacksonville cannery to put up storage food. They have put together their 72 hour kits, also.

So, slow and steady may win the race. I can see a parallel in preaching prep to missionary efforts. I just wish I could let the dozens of missionaries who so diligently and lovingly, over the years, taught and tried to baptize our family could know what happened after they had gone home, thinking that they had failed. All of us were eventually baptized, and we now have great grandchildren being born into the covenant. What a blessing it is to have the restored gospel in our lives.

geanienut
11-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Phylm,
Slow and steady does win the race, but also those who Magnify their callings play a very important role. Without your diligence, hardwork, and knowledge and you ability to talk and teach about food storage, those who you have touched may not have had the inspiration to do so. Keep up the good work...
Geanienut

mirkwood
11-12-2009, 04:00 AM
It is a neverending quest to help others. You just never know who you will touch. One of my buddies at work is sending his wife to my next class this week (he can't attend, he will be working).

mirkwood
11-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Teaching again tomorrow night. 6:30 p.m. until about 8:30 p.m. I'm teaching in West Jordan...anyone here is welcome to attend if they would like. It will be at the chapel at 7000 South 4800 West in the Relief Society room.

hiccups
11-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Teaching again tomorrow night. 6:30 p.m. until about 8:30 p.m. I'm teaching in West Jordan...anyone here is welcome to attend if they would like. It will be at the chapel at 7000 South 4800 West in the Relief Society room.

That's a long drive for me, but I could be tempted if there is going to be horse jerky. :l0 (3):

geanienut
11-12-2009, 11:12 PM

What topic will you be discussing? I won't be able to attend because I live like 1500 miles from you... But I will be there in Spirit..:)

mirkwood
11-13-2009, 02:38 AM
This: http://www.rogmo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=205

phylm
11-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Excellent presentation, Mirkwood. It really should reach some of your students and inspire them to get started. Understanding how to prioritize is so important.

Years ago, I was a food service supervisor in a Murray nursing home. Our home hosted a disaster drill (huge earthquake) for several other nursing homes. I had maintenance build a temporary concrete grill in the yard. I counseled my associates to use the food in the refrigerators first, then the freezers, and demonstrated how to improvise recipes for the available food, and cook it over charcoal. I asked them how much water storage they were planning on, and was told: "Oh, we have a bottled water service, so that won't be a problem!" They didn't have an answer when I asked them what they'd do if roads were impassable and the water truck couldn't reach them.

Keep up the great work, Mirk