PDA

View Full Version : Unground wheat for cereal

silverstate51
12-01-2009, 12:33 PM
I found a new (for me) use for all that wheat I've been storing.
I half fill a bowl with wheat berries, cover with water and let soak. Mix 2 or 3 Tablespoons of wheat berries with rolled oats, raisins, and honey, add milk and heat in the microwave.
Delicious and filling.

Noahs ARK
12-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I love wheat berries used as cereal. I put about 1 cup of the berries in a pan, add boiling water, cover & let sit overnight.

I've never tried it with rolled oats or raisins, tho. Will have to give it a try - thanks for the idea!

waif69
12-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Gotta love them wheat berries! They were my first thing learned to make with food storage and very versatile.

sarge712
12-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Blech! My least favorite breakfast. Mom used to boil them and make us eat it. I'd chew and chew and chew and it only seemd to get bigger and harder to swallow. Maybe she fixed it wrong. She was a hippy and cooked odd stuff in even odder ways. Thank goodness for my granny's cooking...

Noahs ARK
12-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Blech! My least favorite breakfast. Mom used to boil them and make us eat it. I'd chew and chew and chew and it only seemd to get bigger and harder to swallow. Maybe she fixed it wrong. She was a hippy and cooked odd stuff in even odder ways. Thank goodness for my granny's cooking...

:l0 (13): Yes, it's chewy - that's what I love about it. Although I've never had to "chew and chew and chew". :l0 (13):

It has a nutty flavor, too. Yum!!

You should really try making it again, but let it soak in hot water overnight.

waif69
12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
She was a hippy and cooked odd stuff in even odder ways.

Didn't your mom teach you to stay away from hippies? Oops, sorry. :rofl:

silverstate51
12-03-2009, 08:51 PM
If find that mixing the plumped wheat berries with the rolled oats and raisins provides your palate with enough textural confusion as to how to chew it. In other words I feel ready to swallow. I agree with Sarge that just wheat berries invites chewing like it was cud.:l0 (39):

Try mixing it up, and add honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, maple syrup, or dried fruit to provide variety of taste, as well as texture.:o16:

This stuff is not just supposed to sit unused, right?

sarge712
12-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Didn't your mom teach you to stay away from hippies? Oops, sorry. :rofl:

Hahaha...nooooo. In fact we were taught to embrace that lifestyle but thank goodness for my dad's conservative Southern family who raised us after she abruptly went off on some sort of "vision quest" for a decade when I was 10.

My brother and I later broke her heart when we both went into the Marines and then went into law enforcement...we didn't just go work for The Man, we became The Man.

I haven't talked to her in 11 years, more's the pity. But hey, no more wheat berries!!!!