PDA

View Full Version : Hide food under your Bed

cHeroKee
12-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Hide food under your Bed

http://www.pgward.org/images/bedriser.jpg

Nifty little gadgets called bed risers can provide an unseen storage place. They?re quite reasonably priced too. Personally if you don?t mind their weight, I prefer to use Cinder Blocks. I think they are even less than the bed risers.

http://www.pgward.org/images/flatboxesresized.jpg

In addition to risers you?ll also need a number of low boxes or flats, choose a size that meets your needs, and perhaps a length of PVC pipe.

http://www.pgward.org/images/underbed.jpg

#1 - RISERS
Some queen and king sized beds actually have six legs when you count the center supports so be sure and check before determining how many sets of risers you?ll need to give your bed the necessary clearance. If you don?t have enough risers to go around it often works to use paperback novels or an old telephone book under the center support leg at the head of the bed to make up the height difference. Please note, if you elevate the bed beyond a certain point you?ll get a whole new understanding of the phrase ?climb into bed?!

#2 - BOXES or FLATS
In the picture above: lined up behind each box you do see are three or four more you don?t see. It?s kind of like a little cardboard choo choo that goes in under the bed on one side and comes out the other; that way the oldest items are always in front. In business it?s referred to as First In, First Out or FIFO. Each row is dedicated to just one item. The exception is at the foot if there?s a center support leg that gets in the way, *limited quantity items are just slid under from the foot of the bed until they almost touch the first row of boxes that go from left to right. (*Limited quantity items: Some items don?t get used often enough or are too small to justify having their own row.)

#3 - PVC PIPE
The length of PVC pipe reaches the width of the bed and is placed on the floor in front of the legs at the head of the bed so that the flats don?t get hung up as they are pushed passed.

#4 - FOOD
Whatever canned goods appeal to your taste buds can be stuck in a flat and started on their happy journey from one side of the bed to the other. If you shop at a warehouse store your multi-can packs already come boxed or shrink-wrapped and don?t need to be placed in a flat. All cases and shrink-wrapped, multi-can packs get dated on the outside. Single purchased cans and packages are each dated with permanent marker and placed in flats. However, because of FIFO you always know your oldest cans are at the front of the line. This makes it so much easier to stay on top of rotating your canned goods. HINT: You can turn cases and shrink-wrapped cans on their side (if you have enough overhead clearance), doing so will open up enough room for an additional row.

#5 - FOODSTUFFS ?UNDERCOVER?
You?ll most likely need to buy or make a longer dust ruffle for your bed - but it?s worth it for the peace of mind knowing that what?s under the bed will save your life.

Cassiopeia
12-13-2009, 03:20 PM
These are some good ideas...maybe under my childrens beds...hmmm...

Just for a laugh, or whatever ;), I will share my verision of this...Food Storage IS my bed. We have many 4 galleon buckets filled with wheat, rice, beans etc. We place them all close together and throw my king size mattress on top. That's my bed! So you can see why I can't put any food under it, LOL! But again there are my children's beds...

Noahs ARK
12-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Another suggestion - instead of using cardboard flats, buy some of those under-the-bed shoe bags. They're huge AND have handles on both sides, which makes it easier to retrieve from under the bed.

Plus - it's not easy to see what's actually in the bags, just in case anyone gets snoopy and looks under your bed. ;)

WalMart sells these for 9.95........ http://www.shopgetorganized.com/item/shoes_under/29980?src=GOGO0406&ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=ASOTV&ovcrn=sr2go1go559sb5784pi1ai38+shoes+under&ovtac=PPC&SR=sr2go1go559sb5784pi1ai38