PDA

View Full Version : Chickens for eggs/meat

bokbadok
03-19-2008, 11:38 AM
I live in town on 1/4 acre, and want to get at least some laying hens, perhaps a few meat chickens as well.

I've raised hens before, and found it easy and fun. My question for the group is: Has anyone read and applied the moveable chicken shelter described in "Pastured Poultry Profits" by Joel Salatin?

I want to house 6-8 hens in a 24" tall, 4'x8' shelter, and move it to a new patch of lawn every day, to provide fresh grazing and avoid manure buildup and that "ugly chickenyard" appearance. My husband thinks even moving the pen every day will leave too much manure on the lawn.

If anyone has any experience with this sort of setup I would love to hear from you!

phylm
03-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Should be fine. In an emergency situation, you'll want the manure their to feed your expanded garden.

phylm

arbilad
03-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Chicken manure actually has to be aged before it can be used, or it will kill the plants.

bokbadok
03-20-2008, 11:02 AM
In large amounts, yes. But in Salatin's book, he shows a picture of a line of his moveable "chicken tractors" across a field, and behind them the grass is bright green, while in front it is average.