PDA

View Full Version : What will you do with your storage....

Noahs ARK
12-30-2009, 07:08 PM
As I look at all the food, water & supplies that we have stashed in every square inch of our house, I can't help but wonder what will happen to all of it if we don't need it during our lifetime.

Our kids all live in different states and I can't imagine that they'd want to haul it to their homes. Of course there's always the chance that one of them will buy this house and then they would probably just keep the storage as part of the deal.

What will you do with yours?

Buffie
12-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Please don't let your food go to waste! Follow the advice about "Store what you eat and eat what you store." Ideally, we should be rotating food in and out as we use it and replace it. I store very few things we don't regularly eat, instant potatoes being at the top of the list. I'd rather have real potatoes, but if that's not possible I'll learn to get along with instant. I guess. If I get hungry enough.

Anyway, the solution of what to do with your storage is simple: eat it!

Noahs ARK
12-30-2009, 08:18 PM
I do rotate certain food items, but a lot of my storage is from Emergency Essentials. Those items will all last a long time and I don't need to rotate them like I do other food, which is why I like them.

Even when we do eat from our supply of Emergeny Essentials - potato pearls, green beans, fruit, milk...I order more to replenish, so I'm always going to have food storage.

Not to mention my paper towels, toilet paper, water, medical supplies.

I guess a more direct question would've been - if you were to die tomorrow, what will happen to your food storage?

Not trying to be morbid - just curious if any of you have thought about it.

phylm
12-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Please don't let your food go to waste! Follow the advice about "Store what you eat and eat what you store." Ideally, we should be rotating food in and out as we use it and replace it. I store very few things we don't regularly eat, instant potatoes being at the top of the list. I'd rather have real potatoes, but if that's not possible I'll learn to get along with instant. I guess. If I get hungry enough.

Anyway, the solution of what to do with your storage is simple: eat it!
I believe that Noah's Ark is referring to a one-year or more supply.

We have a four-person year's supply, because a daughter and husband are planning to bug out to our place, if possible. We also produce most of our own vegetables and fruits, and could grow grain and sugar beets, if it comes to that. In the event of a serious disruption of life as we know it, I know that we will have more people to feed than the four of us.

If I should I lose my husband, I would cut my storage way down, and try to distribute the excess to my children and grandchildren. They are scattered across the country, too. I'd give the most to the ones who might need it most. If we both should go together, I think that the family that lives close to us here could use it.

We are doing our best to live off our storage and food production, splurging on milk for drinking, for the time being, butter, and M & Ms(!) Other than that, we replenish our store as we use it.

When we left Florida ahead of the hurricane that followed Hurricane Charlie in 2004, (we rode Charlie out in a local motel, while our RV weathered the storm remarkably well without us) we left a letter with our bishop, giving him permission to break into our storage and to use it and our water, if needed. Noah's Ark might consider leaving her storage to her ward in a will.

Equanimity
12-30-2009, 08:25 PM
My family would divey mine up, they are all big preppers, I can pretty much see them fighting over my years supply for 8 people. LOL>

Noahs ARK
12-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Noah's Ark might consider leaving her storage to her ward in a will.

That's part of our problem - we have enough food for us, my mom (she's 84 and has depleted her supply on purpose) and the kids if they had to bug out, but I know none of them would ever pay to ship it to their homes if something happened to us.

I told my sister she could have it, but they live in Portland and it would cost a fortune to drive it back there in a U-Haul. She said it would still be cheaper than if she had to buy that amount of food.

When we moved overseas for 2 years, we gave our small food storage to a local woman's shelter. It was cheaper than putting it in a storage unit and they sure did appreciate it.

Hm...never thought about leaving it to our Ward. Excellent idea and something to think about.

Noahs ARK
12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
My family would divey mine up, they are all big preppers, I can pretty much see them fighting over my years supply for 8 people. LOL>

I wish our 4 kids were preppers, but they're not. They think that running out of food & water just isn't going to happen. *sigh*

Buffie
12-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Refer them to Survivalblog. Recently there was a letter from a guy who survived the collapse of Bosnia and it had some really interesting observations about what becomes valuable.

LoudmouthMormon
12-31-2009, 09:46 PM
I have two stories:

- My cousin bought a house in Sandy, UT from the estate of a deceased former Stake President. It came with a basement full of food storage. Much was thrown away, much is still there, three 55-gal water barells are sitting in my basement.

- A real estate agent found out I was LDS and told me a story about a lady moving from Alaska to Colorado. She had tens of thousands of dollars worth of food storage, and calculated that it would cost about that much just to transport it all to her new house. So she sold/gave it away and bought new after the move was complete.

LM

signseeker
01-01-2010, 09:51 AM
I would try to get my kids or family members close by to become interested and want to have it. If that wasn't working, I might leave it to other prepsters nearby... but probably before I actually kicked the can. Afterwords may cause more problems. If you don't know when you're actually dying, this could become difficult. Maybe just let your kids know you'd like the food/supplies to not be wasted... if you tie them down too much, there may be unforeseen options at that time they won't be able to pursue. Good question.

Earthling
01-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I have seen multiple people move distances that made it economically unfeasible to move it. They gave it away to ward members & friends if there were not relatives near by.

Noahs ARK
01-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Update ~~ I talked to my brother earlier today and he said he'd take all our storage. Remember - this is the brother that scoffed at the idea of food storage until just recently and now he's a Big Preppie.

He's in Illinois, so he said he'd fly here and just rent a truck 1-way. He said if any of the other family members are interested, they can contact him. I know the kids aren't interested, but my sisters may be.

He said to just e-mail him a note giving him permission to take the storage and send a copy of the e-mail to my sister (our Executor).

NOT that we're planning on dying suddenly, but it was weighing on my mind! We've made a lot of sacrifices and spent a lot of $$ on all of this and it would just make me sick to let it all go to waste.

Noahs ARK
01-01-2010, 04:26 PM
I have seen multiple people move distances that made it economically unfeasible to move it. They gave it away to ward members & friends if there were not relatives near by.

This has been our problem for years - because of my hubby's job, we were moving every couple of years. Every single time we gave away most of our storage.

We've been in this house for 6 years and since we're retired, we don't plan on moving. I'm finally able to really concentrate on my storage now. Yay!